密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 不去考HKIS有損失嗎?
樓主: jolalee
go

不去考HKIS有損失嗎? [複製鏈接]

81#
發表於 15-3-30 17:57 |只看該作者
Is the cdnis management issue a critical factor to you?

82#
發表於 15-3-30 17:57 |只看該作者
jolalee 發表於 15-3-30 16:25
世事如褀局局新。

My son just received the offer from HKIS two hours ago (he was wait listed and we  ...
Oh dear! So you attended the interview without your husband and you still got the spot?I think you just can't get away with HKIS

83#
發表於 15-3-30 20:50 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+gatochat+於+15-03-30+發表回

原帖由 happyhealthymin 於 15-03-30 發表
I agree that self control is the key. But when children are too young, their brain are not fully dev ...
Right. Too young they have no self control. But when the kids are older, my strategy is that you just have to make games only "one" of the fun activities. Courage her to develop interests in other areas. Observe her natural character, etc.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

84#
發表於 15-3-30 22:55 |只看該作者
Go for HKIS

點評

jolalee  Reasons?  發表於 15-3-30 23:18

85#
發表於 15-3-30 23:12 |只看該作者
lovecasey 發表於 15-3-30 17:57
Is the cdnis management issue a critical factor to you?
The current management issue does get to us at an emotional level, but in the long run it will blow over. It's just teething pain and politics. (I'm sure there's a parent (or more) that works for SCMP, so remember all you read from SCMP is only one side of the story.) CDNIS will become a stronger and better school after the storm. I hope :)

If we are to move school, I do hope it is for the right reasons.

86#
發表於 15-3-30 23:16 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 15-3-30 17:57
Oh dear! So you attended the interview without your husband and you still got the spot?I think you j ...
Honestly I don't think they cared if my husband was there or not. The meeting we parents had was more a Q&A.

When we received the wait list letter by mail last Friday we were at peace. We thought that we were meant to be in CDNIS, and then at 2:45pm today the school called, and needed us to reply by 9am tomorrow. Seriously that's a bit insane...

87#
發表於 15-3-30 23:23 |只看該作者
Thank you all for your good wishes. Seem like most ppl are on the HKIS camp. I do hear that the drug problems are the same in every school, and that academically it is better (at least gets into more famous schools) and the drive within the students are stronger.

Anyone on the CDNIS camp? I am still very fond of the school (and so is my son), and i do think he will breed better character in this school. Forget about the family teaching part (my family is not changing anytime soon), peer influence does play a bigger and bigger role as they become teenagers. Internal control has always been taught and proper time management too.

Comparing school to school, is HKIS academically better?

88#
發表於 15-3-30 23:38 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Yes. I had chances to talk to an HKIS student who is studying at middle school. He learnt interesting stuff in all subjects like science, history, religion, music...while my son seemed to learn only research skills and how to write essay and report in MYP of IB. In fact MYP of IB really needs a lot of fine tuning, while HKIS' american curriculum is proven to produce academically strong students.

點評

jolalee  thanks for your feedback!  發表於 15-3-30 23:46

89#
發表於 15-3-30 23:44 |只看該作者

引用:Thank+you+all+for+your+good+wishes.+Seem

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-03-30 發表
Thank you all for your good wishes. Seem like most ppl are on the HKIS camp. I do hear that the drug ...
Just follow your heart, and ask for your son's opinion. At the end of the day, I don't think it will make a huge difference whichever school you choose. Both are good schools anyway.

90#
發表於 15-3-30 23:45 |只看該作者
gatochat 發表於 15-3-30 17:09
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I might be little off topic here, but I would like to share my thoughts after I ...
Not exactly my views on video games, just a piece of info i am sharing regarding schools' policies on gaming. I agree on teaching self-control, and also the right exposure at the right age. Too much screen time does effect the child's neuro-social developments, esp at a younger age (before age 5).

As an update i did observe primary age kids playing (educational) video games during lunch break in CDNIS using school's computer in the library. I am not sure if they have other control systems in place (but definitely time limited as i only see it during lunch), but it does not bother me at all as they all seem like well adjusted social kids i see everywhere in school. Yes, sometimes controls exposure might be a good thing.

91#
發表於 15-3-30 23:52 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 15-3-30 23:44
Just follow your heart, and ask for your son's opinion. At the end of the day, I don't think it will ...
I asked him (who's just 4 years old...). He loves his current school, but when i told him the new school is even more fun, he wavered. I reminded him of his interview (with the little sticker card he received after the interview), and he did not object anymore. At this age, kids' opinion is a reflection of what we convey to them.

Yes, both are good schools. I know we are lucky indeed. If we end up sticking to CDNIS, even amidst the current turmoils, at least we can say loud and clear, we support the school and believe in it.

92#
發表於 15-3-31 08:25 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+jolalee+的帖子 Yes.+I+had+chances+

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 15-03-30 發表
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Yes. I had chances to talk to an HKIS student who is studying at middle school. ...
Very insightful comparision between american cirriculum  and IB. How about between american and British cirriculum? Would you mind to share more?

93#
發表於 15-3-31 09:19 |只看該作者
If you to be an Investment baner, the odd is better if you graduate from an US College (I mean a top college).

If you want to be a professional like medicine, you should consider going to UK if you are not admitted by the local medical school.

If you want to a lawyer, then go to UK (if you gave a chance to study at a top law school). If not, then settle at a local law school.

If you have not decide what to so, or too young to decide, I think any education system has its own advantage and disadvantage. So there is not much difference between each curriculum. My two kids graduated from an high school of US curriculum, but none of them studied colleges at USA although both of them had a number of offers from top colleges.

94#
發表於 15-3-31 09:20 |只看該作者
foolish.mom 發表於 15-3-30 23:38
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Yes. I had chances to talk to an HKIS student who is studying at middle school. ...
Would you recommend IB then? Do you actually think American or British curriculums are better?

95#
發表於 15-3-31 09:21 |只看該作者
If you want to be a scientist, Ithink US colleges should be a better choice.

96#
發表於 15-3-31 09:24 |只看該作者
回覆 caa 的帖子

If do some Google search, there are a number of articles comparing the IB and British education system. As I said, you can find the advNtages and disadvantages of both system. They were written by educTionists, not by parents like me, of limited knowledge.

97#
發表於 15-3-31 10:07 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

I do hope to hear comments from first hand parents like foolish.mum who has valuable current personal experience.

98#
發表於 15-3-31 11:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-3-31 11:43 編輯
Shootastar 發表於 15-3-31 09:21
If you want to be a scientist, Ithink US colleges should be a better choice.

My sister in law grew up and studied all her life in Australia, but she is now hired by an Ivy League school in USA as a professor, in astrophysics. Nah, US colleges might be better, but no necessary. Anyhow, I can tell already my son is not math minded, on the other hand his teacher said he fits the IB profile perfectly...

99#
發表於 15-3-31 12:09 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+15-3-31+11:43+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-03-31 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-3-31 11:43 編輯
Have u decided yet?

100#
發表於 15-3-31 12:11 |只看該作者
My husband cannot decide so I begged and begged for an extension. They were (unwillingly) stretching it until 8am tmr. I am copying and pasting fellow comments I gathered around for his review :)

More (in the know) comments much appreciated!!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題