用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 John Hopkins Centre for Talented Youth -- Summer Cou ...
發新帖
查看: 4339|回覆: 8
go

John Hopkins Centre for Talented Youth -- Summer Course

發表於 14-10-12 08:09 |顯示全部帖子
Do you have any experience or comment on the summer course of  John Hopkins University Centre for Talented Youth ?

Good or not ?

The course will take place in HKU in the summer 2015.

I opine that the tuition fee is very expensive. It's around US$4,500 for a 3-week course. Is it worth ?

發表於 14-10-12 08:32 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 bbtung 的帖子

If you could afford the tuition fee of US4,500, perhaps you should consider paying a bit more (eg. air ticket etc.) and send your kid to US to do the CTY summer program.  Not that I have anything against the program in HK, it's just that I feel the difference in environment, student mix and experience is well worth that extra bit more.

發表於 14-10-12 15:29 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:bobbycheung 的帖子

Agree. Student mix is a concern. I would rather wait until my boy is big enough and try the one in US.

發表於 14-10-13 08:14 |顯示全部帖子
Heard good things about it and can't wait for my kindergarten age boy to grow up and try it. The one in HK will attract Asian kids or those expats who are able to come to Asia. I do believe the student mix will be different, but perhaps will have its benefits too. I am guessing that Asian parents who has kids in IS does pay more attention and nurture their kids in a more balance ways, where's those in the States may excel due to their raw talents. What do fellow parents think?

發表於 14-10-13 10:13 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 14-10-13 10:21 編輯

A lot of people join CTY summer program because of the "prestige" - you need to achieve certain minimum test score before you are eligible. Some people do it because of the "intellectual challenge" mentioned in the prospectus.  To me, these are not the real benefit as you can have them by joining the CTY online program instead.  I think the major benefit of CTY summer program is that you get to meet and mingle with fellow students for 3 weeks. It's different from 遊學團 in that your fellow students are relatively intelligent and you are required to work hard during the 3 week program. In short, it is about the experience you have in these 3 weeks rather than the academic knowledge you gain at the end of the program.  Looking at it from this perspective, I believe you will gain more if the students you get to meet are coming from backgrounds totally different from yours.  The last thing you want is to spend 3 weeks with your school classmates or nerds who would do nothing but studying.   You might as well do the CTY online course instead.  As the tuition fees are more or less the same, I believe it's a good idea to send the kids abroad to let them have a new and different exposure.

發表於 14-10-13 11:21 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回覆+bbtung+的帖子 If+you+could+afford+

原帖由 bobbycheung 於 14-10-12 發表
回覆 bbtung 的帖子

If you could afford the tuition fee of US4,500, perhaps you should consider payi ...
Agree.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 14-10-13 12:38 |顯示全部帖子
There are actually a few "levels" of CTY programs.
For example, the intensive program ask for much higher qualifying scores than the academic exploration program. The intensive program covers areas which are normally not covered by the school curriculum and it can be really fun and inspirational. It is a good opportunity to get to know people with similar minds and it is not only a chance to learn but a chance to explore.
Online programs are mostly academic. Some students might find these programs beneficial. However, online programs lack the opportunity to get to know other students with similar minds.
CTY Hong Kong has limited program choices. Many programs are not available in Hong Kong so many people choose to go to other sites for the classes.

發表於 14-10-13 19:13 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Artie 的帖子

Just to share some experience. My son joined the HK one at UST before (the intensive ones). Student mix: Most of the classmates were from international schools in HK, with a few from DGS and SPCC. So they spoke English among themselves. But most of them were from HK, with only a few from other Asian countries, or the US.
Course contents: Math related: the contents were usually not covered in high school syllabus, so they were quite enriching. Physics: covered the whole high school physics syllabus in 3 weeks, so the course is really demanding
Student intellectual level: my son met some new friends with similar mindset as him, and they became good friends after the course. They still met during school holidays.

I think the US ones are even better in terms of student mix and environment. But the HK ones are not bad if you don't want your kid to be too far away.

發表於 15-1-30 16:11 |顯示全部帖子
As a graduate, I really could not hold myself from typing a response. The correct name is JohnS Hopkins, not John Hopkins, although a lot of native Americans got it wrong too