密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 int PN /K1 classes with mandarin exposure
發新帖
查看: 3530|回覆: 13
go

int PN /K1 classes with mandarin exposure

發表於 14-5-7 10:42 |顯示全部帖子
hi mommies, my baby is Dec 2012 细b, she could only get into a newly opened int preschool for PN in the upcoming Jan.  (The school offers full day mandarin  classes 2 times a week)  I want to send her to IS eventually and looking for schools that have a good balance of English and Mandarin exposure now. I want to move her into a better established preschool in the upcoming year (either repeat pn or start K1 fresh) Just to hope that will  improve the chance of going into a decent IS later. I am new to the whole hk school system. my friend told me to try tutor time and woodlands but these schools have very little mandarin exposure. And victoria is super hard to get in.  I live around the cwb area. can anyone recommend me some good IS schools with good exposure on mandarin?  thx!

發表於 14-5-8 08:34 |顯示全部帖子
For K1, you can try Victoria, KCS/KCIS, International Montessori School (IMS), Yew Chung, CDNIS....unfortunately all of those are quite hard to get into, due to the high demand for mandarin education nowadays. but you just need to apply to all and try your luck.

發表於 14-5-8 08:37 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:wywy0b0j 的帖子

etonhouse seems to have good Mandarin exposure.   kingston has a very good mandarin program too.

發表於 14-5-9 01:20 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 貴媽媽2 的帖子

For CWB area you definitely should try for IMS Tin Hau, but only if you buy into the Montessori method. Do read up on Montessori; it is a great system but not every parent's cup of tea. IMS's wait list is pretty crazy too, as all good playgroup/PN are. Don't give up on Tutor Time too quickly either; from what i heard TT's mandarin is pretty good and kids from TT does get into CIS etc.

YCIS may be too far for you as it is located in Kowloon Tong. CDNIS only starts at K1 equivalent, and they have only 40 spots at that level; impossible to get into even with sibling priority.

發表於 14-5-9 22:21 |顯示全部帖子
Kingston

發表於 14-5-12 00:32 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:int PN /K1 classes with mandarin exposure

thanks mommies.  I queued  up for IMS but my baby is a Dec small baby, they didn't even  offer me an interview! cndis is Canadian IS right? I heard I can get a bit of priority if I'm a cdn?!  never heard of Eton house and Kingston?  can anyone share their comments on these 2 schools? and ESF hillside offers both mandarin and English? thx for advising!

發表於 14-5-12 07:18 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-12 07:23 編輯

Elton house is pretty new, but I've heard nice comments about Kingston here. No first hand experience so I better leave it for others to respond.

ESF has very little mandarin and given ESF kindies only give interview priority to DC & RC starting this year, I'm Not sure if it is a good prep for other IS reception interview, especially if mandarin is one of your prime target.

Yes CDNIS does give priority to Cdn passport, but given there are 300K Cdn passport holders in HK (according to SCMP), and too many applicants for CDNIS, Cdn passport nowadays is basically a pre-requisite rather than a priority FYI sibling weights above Cdn in terms of priorities.  Do try though if your child is Cdn, esp for Reception (K2) when they release 80 additional spots, as it is a great school.

發表於 14-5-12 12:32 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

thanks for the info. I just checked, Kingston is located at Kowloon side right?

發表於 14-5-12 23:08 |顯示全部帖子

引用:thanks+for+the+info.+I+just+checked,+Kin

原帖由 貴媽媽2 於 14-05-12 發表
thanks for the info. I just checked, Kingston is located at Kowloon side right?
Yes, it's at Kowloon tong.

發表於 14-5-16 11:04 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:貴媽媽2 的帖子

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 14-5-16 16:27 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:int PN /K1 classes with mandarin exposure

Anfield also has daily at least 30min Mandarin.

發表於 14-5-16 22:55 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-16 23:03 編輯

CDNIS pre-reception & reception classes are both 2.5 hr long, with 30 minutes of mandarin each day, so it is about 20% class time.

IMS is bilingual, meaning they have two teachers per class, one native English and one native mandarin teacher. However, take note that little kids would attach themselves to the teacher speaking their own language, and would be affected by the playground language as well, and for IMS it is English that prevails. Their western kids' level of mandarin is not bad though!

I think many schools including tutor time and Victoria(?) do something similar as well, 1 native English & 1 native mandarin teacher per class.

發表於 14-5-20 23:50 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:貴媽媽2 的帖子

本帖最後由 cherry8pye 於 14-5-20 23:58 編輯

Hi we are similar in that my girl is also small b (nov) but she is snake b and so not yet for pn yet. I have done some early research as i would like mandarin / english bilingual and we live in cwb too. I think your schools depend whether you want her in bilingual /immersion for mandarin or just some exposure (like cdnis was mentioned above). Pods in tin hau is bilingual i think but it is also relatively new. Actually tutor time is quite mandarin focused (50% m 50% eng).There are i think others but can't think of off top of my head.

發表於 14-6-5 07:58 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-6-5 08:01 編輯

Was re-reading your post and just one word of caution in regards to putting your child a year back at this moment. My son is Nov 2010 born, and being a boy esp, i would love to have him being the oldest instead of youngest in the class.

For IS in HK in terms of children's age of entry, some schools go by the calendar year (Jan-Dec) and some go by the school year (Sept-Aug, or for AISHK check their website as it is the opposite down under). If you put the child back a year now, she lags behind when applying for half the schools available, such as ESF primary and CDNIS.

It is best to keep her in K1 for 2015-16, and then try for both K1 & K2 for 2016-17. You will see the advantage of doing that by 2016 spring time when she become more experienced compared to other kids. Mind you though, K1 will become a bit difficult for her as she will be one of the youngest, but in the long run it is beneficial in terms of school applications.