密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Summer Internship for Law Applicants
發新帖
查看: 2842|回覆: 8
go

Summer Internship for Law Applicants

發表於 14-4-26 11:14 |顯示全部帖子
Many parents always ask the question – what kind of summer internship is helpful in their kids’ application for Law in universities?

Apart from excellent academic results, “law” requires students to have good language skills – oral, reading or written, communication skills, analytical power – the ability to distinguish the nuance between two similar scenarios, and logical deduction power. The academic subjects taken by the kids at school as well as the ECA they take would provide such trainings to them. But still not all of them could stand out in their applications with Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, HKU, CU etc. Parents would ask why that is.

One of the crucial point is “to show your passion in law” to your admission tutors. If you can show your passion in law, I think you will rise above the application queues.

Related working experience in law firms may show you have some understanding about a law firm and what is handled by the law firms. But it may not be sufficient to show your passion.

I remember one year prior to my son’s application for law, he spent several days in court to hear the application of an old lady for a judicial review to stop REIT from floatation. He also spent several days in a magistrate court and district court to hear some trials during summer.

In writing his personal statement why he is interested to study law, he wrote something that he had spent some time in court to hear cases. He found Hong Kong was quite special because an old lady could stop the Government from making the REIT – of value HK$30 billion from going public. He wanted to know and learn the legal theory. He also wrote the difference in the trial process between someone who was represented by lawyers and someone who was not. He could see justice could be adequately done if a lawyer could help in the criminal trial. The sense of justice would influence his decision to take law as his career.

His academic results were not particularly strong when compared with his fellow classmates who also applied for law. At the end of the day, he received offers from 3 colleges in London and one from top 15 law colleges. He was pooled for Cambridge but was unsuccessful. The offers were amazing. I think the difference was he could show his passion in law to the admission tutors.

發表於 14-4-26 12:25 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Shootastar 的帖子

Thank you!

發表於 14-4-26 12:30 |顯示全部帖子
I guess your son got the internship before executing min wages in HK, now you can't !
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 14-4-26 20:00 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

To be frank, my son did not attend any  summer internship while he was at high school. In the summer of year 10, he took a 4-week course with UCLA and in Grade 11, he took a 6-week course at Cornell. He went to the court to hear the cases in the remaining time of the summer.

發表於 14-4-26 20:28 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 14-4-26 20:00
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

To be frank, my son did not attend any  summer internship while he was at high ...
Two years ago, I tried to arrange an internship for my son through 2 senior partners and they all agreed initially. But the HR reminded them that even interns from all universities are either unpaid or below minimum wages, they need to pay for my son in minimum wage, this will upset all universities interns.

發表於 14-4-26 22:44 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

While my son was studying law, he managed to obtain 4 internships from law firms. He got paid ranging from $10,000 to $15,000 for 4 weeks, a little bit higher than the minimum wage.

發表於 14-4-26 22:49 |顯示全部帖子
I just heard that kids need to pay for their internship because of the min wage constraint (not in legal profession)!

發表於 14-4-26 23:04 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 14-4-26 22:44
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

While my son was studying law, he managed to obtain 4 internships from law fir ...
He is lucky.

發表於 14-4-26 23:38 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

Yes he was lucky. My daughter is jealous that God always bless him.