用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢? ...
樓主: oneonemama
go

如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢?

發表於 14-4-24 17:51 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:oneonemama 的帖子

就到底,是否返、幾時返加拿大,根本對本地定國際學校,關係不大。

發表於 14-4-24 20:15 |顯示全部帖子
victoryu19 發表於 14-4-24 16:40
We are planning to send our kid back to Canada when he is 12 or so (grade 7).
"Send" your kid back? Are you planning to go with him?

Note that for a child not yet mature, it is best to keep him with the parents. I have seen too many cases (my high school class mates from HK) going down the wrong track since they are lonely and unbound in Toronto. Triads, car accidents due to speeding (a friend died when we were 16), gambling school tuition away, smoking, unwanted pregnancy... you name it i've seen it.

Unless you plan to keep him in a very private academy with strong discipline, i really do not recommend you sending your child down that path, even if he has grandparents/aunts & uncles there. No one can replace mom & dad.

發表於 14-4-24 20:41 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+14-4-24+14:17+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-24 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-4-24 14:17 編輯
Oh! Thanks for your sharing. Actually, do u mind to tell me which IS your lovely boy get into?
And u really read my mind, I just want my boy can enjoy his childhood and not just have to keep on doing homework all the time
Actually, I want to find the easier way for my boy to get into the great school, so I don't mind to let him join the play group in IS if it can help to get the first priority to get into the PN

點評

jolalee  Once you have options, then you have the happy headache of determining which way to go.  發表於 14-4-25 00:59
jolalee  Some of the schools i've listed do have playgroup (YCIS, IMS, Victoria etc.) The queues are long so i suggest that you get your child registers ASAP.  發表於 14-4-25 00:58

發表於 14-4-25 00:51 |顯示全部帖子
gatochat 發表於 14-4-24 17:41
I decided to send my son to a local school is that I do not want him to pick up bad English, as my friend's child had.  My friend's child attended an local international kindy and spoke mainly English at home.  My friend's child's English had actually gone worse since he started school.  It was not the school's problem, he actually picked it up from the children of the school.  Since a lot of the children's parents were not native speakers and inevitably passed on some Chinlish to their children.  Filipino English is another problem.  My friend's child ended up speaking Chinlish and almost no Chinese.  I could barely understand him when I met him a few times before.  It was not until he started at IS that his English started to improve.
I totally agree that some "international" kindy has some horrible English on the playground which Chinese families hungry to send their kids to int'l schools must be aware of (and stop being the cause of that themselves). It is a problem even in some ESF kindies: local kids speaking to native kids, and the natives end up picking up Chinese thinking those are English words. LOL Those 'trilingual' kindies are also something i'd stay away too. They are making a big mistake in thinking doing 3 languages without a core language is good for the child. Really screws up their deep inner thoughts in the long run. For families originally from abroad looking for quality school, i suggest going pure local or pure expat. Does the child a world of good staying in one clear community.

In regards to being disadvantaged without knowing Chinese for job hunting, i think it is becoming more and more true nowadays. My husband cannot read or write Chinese either but it never deterred him in his career, but he is probably the dying breed from the last generation. In regards to oversea born Chinese with a good command of spoken and written Chinese language, i have actually met a few myself. They are rare and are usually very driven themselves. For the context of this topic (raising kids) though, it is true we cannot include exceptions to the general trend (but be aware that they do exist).

For kids planning to leave HK in a few years, i personally do think going local is a better option, but only IF a 'happy local primary school' can be found. (Happy kindie is never a problem) I am guessing your 'back up plan' has something to do with yourself being a teacher and has priority into the school you are teaching in? It is a great thing to have, but not everyone does, and for kids going local wanting a happy primary school, the chance of getting into one is very very slim, and would be stuck with the cramming ones if their English is not up to par for a real IS by then. I hope i am wrong about this, and would be happy to be corrected if that's the case.

Having a child-minded education in HK without having to compromise Chinese is a dream many parents have, but the reality is that they do come as rare cases. In the context of helping our friend here, please do give a list of Happy kindies leading to Happy primaries. Thanks!!

發表於 14-4-25 03:16 |顯示全部帖子
A few years may sound short, but it may have effects that last a lifetime, and don't think that not much could go wrong at kindergarten level either. A good test of a particular school is, check their k2 (or k3) children and see how many are wearing glasses, THAT is something that will stay with the child for life.

點評

jolalee  Good point, and in accordance to many ECE books written on the subject, age 0-6 is one of the most important stage in anyone's life.  發表於 14-4-25 22:39

發表於 14-4-25 22:23 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 14-4-25 00:51
I totally agree that some "international" kindy has some horrible English on the playground which Ch ...
Unfortunately I'm not working full time now so my children do not get priority into any of the international schools.  Instead my son has been accepted into the new YMCA primary school.  I did think of getting a job so I can secure my child a place at those school, but has decided spending time with them is more important at this stage.  
My son goes to Creative Kindergarten in Kowloon Tong.  The Kindy has priorities if the students decides to go to their connected primary school called Chan's Creative.  Unfortunately it's not near where we live so it's not ideal for us.  It has a reputation of being a happy school but I do not know anyone in person at the school so I can't  tell you any more that what is already on this forum.  

發表於 14-4-25 23:05 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-4-25 23:08 編輯
gatochat 發表於 14-4-25 22:23
Unfortunately I'm not working full time now so my children do not get priority into any of the inter ...

Not working full time at this point so that you can spend more time with your children, that is commendable ;)
Now, let me try to form the full picture here--

Scenario 1-- Given you wrote "my children" so i assume you have at least two kids:
Your elder son is primary age and has been accepted into the new YMCA (international?) primary school. Your younger son is in K2 at Creative Kindie, and he will start applying for local primary school this autumn while he is in LS K3, and will at least have priority into Chan's Creative primary. Worse come to worst he still has sibling priority into YMCA since his elder brother is there.

Scenario 2-- Perhaps you have always been discussing the same son, as in one of your children:
Your son is in K2 at Creative Kindie, and he will start applying for local primary school this autumn while he is in LS K3, and will at least have priority into Chan's Creative primary. At the same time he has been accepted into the new YMCA (international?) primary school. In that case he'd have to either take the IS offer this year, or defer it for a year if possible, while trying out for local primary schools.

Either way at least one of your children is educated in a Chinese medium happy school, which is great. For people who does plan to return home in a few years, i do believe going for a happy LS is a good way to go about it. All the best to your boy's LS Primary application in the coming year, and thank you for sharing your experience so that others can see how this can possibly be done. I am sure there are similar happy LS out there, which just require further research, probably on the regular primary EK forums.

發表於 14-4-25 23:39 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 14-4-25 23:05
Not working full time at this point so that you can spend more time with your children, that is com ...
It's scenario 2!

Btw, I just remembered there is a local free school called Catholic Mission School somewhere in Central.  It has an international class each year and I know a few English speaking families sent there children there and are quite happy.  

點評

jolalee  Thanks for clarifying. Noticing that you have more than 1 child sorta of threw my train of thought off track. Good that he has YMCA AND Chan's Creative as back ups while he try to other fun schools!  發表於 14-4-26 01:34

發表於 14-4-26 00:36 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Similar+to+us.We+are+Canadian+and+will+l

原帖由 victoryu19 於 14-04-23 發表
Similar to us.

We are Canadian and will likely send our son back to Canada to continue his educatio ...
Totally same case as me!!! Will change to IS in Sep. If we can't find a suitable primary, we will move back after k2..

點評

jolalee  Whole family moving back is definitely better than sending just the child there! ;)  發表於 14-4-26 01:35

發表於 14-4-26 01:05 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢?

我都想分享吓!我個仔快三歳。果時諗求期讀一年英語為主的PN,再等轉IS K1!而今年我地去考K1先知原來好難爭!後悔當初唔直接報IS的PN!!原來內地人攞住本大陸passport加唔識廣東話都當佢地外國人可優先!我識十個大陸人,九個入到IS.當然佢地英語冇問題啦!我仔本身一個中文字都唔識。加上speech delay我地更加冇同佢講中文。好彩求請入到間IS. 我巳經驚考唔到小學。能申請定嘅小學學校都apply 晒!真係要排定!我地summer都會返加拿大睇定小學。依家香港太亂。讀書搵個位又咁難。。。做家長真的要plan長遠d.

發表於 14-4-26 01:10 |顯示全部帖子

引用:我都想分享吓!我個仔快三歳。果時諗求期讀

原帖由 sky_chan88 於 14-04-26 發表
我都想分享吓!我個仔快三歳。果時諗求期讀一年英語為主的PN,再等轉IS K1!而今年我地去考K1先知原來好難爭 ...
所以我都搵定有埋play group嘅IS, 由play group 開始join, 應該入PN 會容易一些吧!
暫時考慮Kingston, anfield 同YC, ESF playgroup comment 太差,所以唔考慮。
雖然bb 7月尾先出世,但我已經預備打電話ask for on site visit

點評

jolalee  once your child is born you won't have time for any kind of visits for at least 1/2 year   發表於 14-4-26 01:43
jolalee  (once your child is born you won't have time for any kind of visits for at least 1/2 year 發表於 14-4-26 01:43
jolalee  Good mama! Smart move. I was visiting schools before my boy was born too. Finding a good kindie with playgroup & PN is definitely the way to go!!  發表於 14-4-26 01:42

發表於 14-4-26 01:47 |顯示全部帖子
sky_chan88 發表於 14-4-26 01:05
我都想分享吓!我個仔快三歳。果時諗求期讀一年英語為主的PN,再等轉IS K1!而今年我地去考K1先知原來好難爭 ...
你仔仔入到的IS kindie 沒有小學中學嗎?點解仲要申請定小學同返加拿大睇定小學?你有沒有報IS龍校?

發表於 14-4-26 09:31 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:oneonemama 的帖子

If you would back to Canada after 10 years, you still have a lot of chance to learn Chinese in Canada ( Toronto and Vancouver also have a lot of Chinese and HK ppl staying there )
In addition, if you speaking Cantonese to him in Hong Kong , he still have 10 years to learn the Chinese language in Hong Kong via the day to day training.
Finally, if you plan to back to Canada to continue your further education, please focusing the the english writing is essential part to study in Canada which is not the Chinese.

發表於 14-4-26 11:50 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:sky_chan88+發表於+14-4-26+01:05+我

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-26 發表
你仔仔入到的IS kindie 沒有小學中學嗎?點解仲要申請定小學同返加拿大睇定小學?你有沒有報IS龍校? ...
依家沒有100%直升架。

發表於 14-4-26 11:54 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+sky_chan88+於+14-04-26+發表

原帖由 oneonemama 於 14-04-26 發表
所以我都搵定有埋play group嘅IS, 由play group 開始join, 應該入PN 會容易一些吧!
暫時考慮Kingston, anf ...
Kingston and YC一條龍好呀。你一有出世紙就去排啦!

發表於 14-4-26 12:00 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+oneonemama+於+14-04-26+發表

原帖由 sky_chan88 於 14-04-26 發表
Kingston and YC一條龍好呀。你一有出世紙就去排啦!
Kingston就入PN 就要比8萬,到升小學又要再比,仲係non refundable, YC 就6個月已經有play group。我心水都係呢兩間。唔知以PN,kindergarten 同直到小學三年班,kingston定yc出色啲呢?

點評

jolalee  I am not familiar with Kingston, but YC is great with language learning especially at KG & lower primary.  發表於 14-4-26 12:57

發表於 14-4-26 12:03 |顯示全部帖子

引用:If+you+would+back+to+Canada+after+10+yea

原帖由 hb12699 於 14-04-26 發表
If you would back to Canada after 10 years, you still have a lot of chance to learn Chinese in Canad ...
Yes, actually I don't worry about his Chinese at all, I am more concern about his English and French. As we might go back to  montreal where French is the 2nd language

點評

jolalee  if you are moving to Montreal then you need to put him in some French playgroup soon....  發表於 14-4-26 12:50

發表於 14-4-26 12:56 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 oneonemama 的帖子

Even CDNIS only have French lessons starting Grade 5. Would you consider FIS? They are pretty good and not as hard to get into as other IS. However i believe the chinese program there is much weaker.

發表於 14-4-26 12:59 |顯示全部帖子
sky_chan88 發表於 14-4-26 11:50
依家沒有100%直升架。
Of course there is!!

CIS, HKIS, GSIS, CDNIS, FIS, KIS, JIS.... most of the regular international schools are through-train!!

ICS is not 直升 but 90-95% of the kids continues from KG to Primary.

發表於 14-4-30 00:27 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:sky_chan88+發表於+14-4-26+11:50+依

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-26 發表
Of course there is!!

CIS, HKIS, GSIS, CDNIS, FIS, KIS, JIS.... most of the regular international sc ...
We live in Kln side. Not much options here. We didn't even get interview in ICS😭. Kingston and Yew Chung are full now. Guess we will try again for primary.