EFS kindergarten

發表於 14-4-16 15:28 |顯示全部帖子
13年出世,幾時報名?

發表於 14-4-16 15:54 |顯示全部帖子
October 2015 {:1_1:}

發表於 14-4-16 22:37 |顯示全部帖子
其實,我想問,ESF Kinder無咗上Primary嘅優勢,仲有無咁多人報?

發表於 14-4-16 22:44 |顯示全部帖子
我觉得始終有影響,但上次interview後,对校長同学校admission admin感覺印象良好,所以诀決定读呢間!

發表於 14-4-16 23:27 |顯示全部帖子
ESF kinder好似無咁academic (correct me if I am wrong),我驚上唔到ESF primary,又入唔到其他IS, is this really a concern?

發表於 14-4-17 00:11 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 canteen31 的帖子

Personally i think it is.

From what i heard on EK, ESF kindie still has interview priority for RC & DC, but that's it.
Most ESF P1 entry interview is not difficult as long as the child's mother tongue is English. However, for other IS with equally good IB score, reception interview requirement is much higher. Native level English is just the basics, but good compliance, basic knowledge, math & academic skills are all being tested. If a child goes for ESF kindie but also needs to aim for other top IS, then you expect to give the child lots of additional tuition.

發表於 14-4-17 08:46 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回覆+canteen31+的帖子 Personally+i+thin

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-17 發表
回覆 canteen31 的帖子

Personally i think it is.
oh. your comments make me quite worried. no native English, no foreign passport. the chance of getting into an international primary is very slim! do not want to go to local school either. local parents like me, what shall i do?

發表於 14-4-17 11:42 |顯示全部帖子
It totally depends which IS you plan to enroll, from my experience, i applied ICS, RC , CAIS 8 years before, their interview process are similar, not really focus on testing acadamic capability, only focus on language communication…also i think international kindergarten teaching syllabus are almost the same, that is developing children learning interest and communication capability…

so depends on what the parents expect…

發表於 14-4-17 12:28 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:workmama 的帖子

Just dont want child to receive spoonfeed education. thats why some local parents like me want to go the IS route. I guess 8 years ago tge birth rate was much lower and the competition was relatively less fierece. but good that your younger child will have sibling priority.

發表於 14-4-17 12:34 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yup, as I stated, I am referring to other IS with equally good IB score. If you're just looking for an IS primary, then ESF kindie is still okay, again, do have at least one parent speak English to the child if the parent is somewhat fluent.

發表於 14-4-17 12:40 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing and advice.

點評

jolalee  Don't worry too much, just try your best to prep your child to be outspoken and compliant. Both are important in accessing a child within an hour.  發表於 14-4-17 14:29

發表於 14-4-17 15:56 |顯示全部帖子
It's really not easy for parents to plan now. I went to Nord Anglia info session, they say that the HK government gave them the school license on the grounds that 70% of student must be of foreign nationality. Luckily I hold a foreign passport.... I have also applied to Kellett, I am on 450 on the waiting list for reception in 2017 and they only have 115 places!!!
They also told me if they have to choose between a student who knows Chinese and a student that cant speak Chinese at all, they will choose the student that can speak English ONLY!!  

點評

jolalee  Yup, for Kellett you must apply from birth. Kellett has too many Caucasian anyhow, not very healthy for a chinese child. I've been in a school where there were only 3 chinese kids so i know.  發表於 14-4-24 20:06

發表於 14-4-17 15:58 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回覆+happyhealthymin+的帖子 +Yup,+as+I+

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-17 發表
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yup, as I stated, I am referring to other IS with equally good IB scor ...
我自己英文唔多好,唔可能教小朋友native eng,即係冇機會教入。
以家每星期2日比小朋友去playgroup學英文(呀囡仲細9個月,再大d加堂),中文自己教。希望佢英文會好d啦

發表於 14-4-17 16:27 |顯示全部帖子
canteen31 發表於 14-4-16 23:27
ESF kinder好似無咁academic (correct me if I am wrong),我驚上唔到ESF primary,又入唔到其他IS, is thi ...
Yes, this is a genuine concern.

ESF primary school interview is very "easy", in the sense that they only verify the child's English languasge ability, and they only check for verbal skills so the child doesn't even need to know how to read or write. Hence the ESF kindergartens do not get any more academic than this, but they are serious about giving every child a decent chance and they do give extra English language training to children who may not meet the mark.

The difficult part is, ESF primary schools receive so many applications that a child may not get an interview at all, so it is often a matter of luck rather than ability. Having said that, the success rate of ESF kindergarten children proceeding to ESF primary schools (including RC and DC) has been quite high, the kindergartens claim it is over 90%, although this percentage is likely to change when the kindergarten priority is removed in 2015.

In any case, if a child is unfortunate enough to be in the 5% to 15% who couldn't proceed to an ESF primary school, then he/she could be at a disadvantage when applying to other schools (both IS and LS) which require stronger academic skill. To address this, some parents send their children to attend 2 kindergartens, some may top up with tuition classes after school.

發表於 14-4-17 18:13 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 workmama 的帖子

Then what did u choose at last ?

發表於 14-4-17 18:35 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:canteen31+發表於+14-4-16+23:27+ESF

原帖由 FattyDaddy 於 14-04-17 發表

ESF primary school interview is very "easy", in the sense that they ...
choosing the IS route is to let children develop more naturally. going to two kgs seems to the other way round. the root of the problem is the crazy education system in HK. has the governnent ever thought that some local families prefer IS and want to send their children there? it seems like that in governer's mind IS is only for foreigners.

發表於 14-4-17 22:48 |顯示全部帖子
happyhealthymin 發表於 14-4-17 18:35
choosing the IS route is to let children develop more naturally. going to two kgs seems to the other way round...
I should add that sending children to 2 kindergartens is not too common among ESF parents, my personal guess is may be only 10% to 20% of them would do it, mainly as an insurance in case their children could not proceed to ESF primary schools.

發表於 14-4-18 06:37 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

From my observation, most kids and parents from SJS, KJS and BHS speak fluent English but not really native speakers. Guess it depends on location. Those ESF on the island is another different story.

Sweetheartb

發表於 14-4-19 07:52 |顯示全部帖子
Yes it's true. My son interviewed for 3 school last year and 3 schools this year. Coincidently for both years 2 are situated on the HK Island and 1 at NT (the ones on HK Island being our target schools). Even amongst the applicants I noticed there are many more native English speaking parents, so the competition is definitely a bit different between those on HK island and the rest of Hong Kong.

發表於 14-4-24 01:46 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:canteen31+發表於+14-4-16+23:27+ESF

原帖由 FattyDaddy 於 14-04-17 發表

ESF primary school interview is very "easy", in the sense that they ...
May I know what is RC and DC?

點評

FattyDaddy  RC = Renaissance College, DC = Discovery College {:1_1:}  發表於 14-4-24 02:02