搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 HKIS vs CDIS
發新帖
查看: 3209|回覆: 16
go

HKIS vs CDIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-4-13 17:39 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
我想請教各位家長!現在HKIS及加拿大國際小學都收了我嗰仔,想大家比啲意見!因為現時都拾五拾六!謝謝大家!

點評

Jackieson  好叻仔  發表於 14-4-13 18:36
   3    0    0    0

2#
發表於 14-4-13 17:45 |只看該作者

引用:我想請教各位家長!現在HKIS及加拿大國際小

原帖由 dannykc 於 14-04-13 發表
Your child must be very smart. Either one will be good. Where do you want him to study university? US: HKIS. Canada: CDNIS. Mind that some children at HKIS may be spoiled from very rich families.

點評

dannykc  多謝你意見!應該都係美國升學!  發表於 14-4-13 19:16

3#
發表於 14-4-13 17:46 |只看該作者

引用:我想請教各位家長!現在HKIS及加拿大國際小

原帖由 dannykc 於 14-04-13 發表
Your child must be very smart. Either one will be good. Where do you want him to study university? US: HKIS. Canada: CDNIS. Mind that some children at HKIS may be spoiled from very rich families.

4#
發表於 14-4-13 18:09 |只看該作者
Yes, i heard the same regarding rich kids with bad attitudes in HKIS as well. My son is going to CDNIS reception this coming August, and since he is 'underage' for CIS & HKIS this year, we will apply next year. Probably will skip HKIS however due the to issues i mentioned above. However, academic-wise, HKIS does lead to pretty good Universities (HKIS & CIS being rival schools for years). I guess at the end of the day it really depends on what the parent is looking for in a school.

5#
發表於 14-4-13 19:37 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Thank you!

6#
發表於 14-4-13 20:00 |只看該作者
Congratulations!

Both are very good IS. HKIS uses the AP program while CDNIS uses the  IB program. Each program has its own merit and deficiency.

7#
發表於 14-4-14 07:50 |只看該作者
Shootastar 發表於 14-4-13 20:00
Congratulations!

Both are very good IS. HKIS uses the AP program while CDNIS uses the  IB program.  ...
The IB program is broad based, covers various disciplines, and emphasize a lot on critical thinking. The program is very heavy and demanding at the IB level (grade 11-12), but both PYP (G.1-6) & MYP (G. 7-10) from what i heard are weak in terms of the basic trainings such as spelling and arithmetic. I do wonder myself if PYP & MYP can sufficiently prepare the child for the heavy IB program as well...

Shootastar can you explain the AP program? I'd like to learn more as well. Thank you.

8#
發表於 14-4-14 11:05 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing of the IB Program.
As we know, the US education program is based on the liberal art style education. The cornerstones of a liberal art education is the flexibility to offer students to compose of their own learning program out of a number of electives. The purpose is to give them an opportunity to explore different subjects according to their interest and ability.

Most US high school would offer AP courses on traditional subjects such as Phy Chem Bio Maths (Calculus) World History, US History, English Language, foreign languages, Economics etc and some non-traditional subjects such as Psychology, Music, 2D Art, 3D Art etc.The Collegeboard offers about 30 AP subjects examination.

The standard of an AP examination is more or less the same as AL or IB levels. So the AP results are well recognised by the colleges in the world (including the 8 local universities) for admission purpose.

Most of the US high schools would offer 2 or 3 levels on a particular subjects. If you are strong in Maths, you may take the AP Calculus, even in Grade 10. If you are weak in Maths, you may take Advanced Algebra or Geometry (at ordinary level) in Grade 10. By doing, you may explore and understand your strength and interest in a particular subjects.

Some students in an US school may have strength in Physics, Economics, History but weakness in Languages. In that case, they need to take AP Physics, Economics and History and take other subjects at ordinary or honor level, not necessarily on AP level.

If you have good ability to handle your studies, you can take AP subjects in Grade 9 or Grade 10. At the end of the day, you can have 8 to 10 AP results to support your application for colleges. If you apply to an US colleges, AP results is one of the factors they would consider in the admission process. They would also consider your SAT scores, GPA, activities, leadership or other special talents.

If you apply to British or local universities, they would focus more on your AP results although they would consider SAT, GPA etc.

Given the high school fees of HKIS (the highest among the international schools in Hong Kong as far as I know), they could offer about 25 AP programs to the students. They could offer a wide range of activities as other international schools may offer. In other words, they offer a number of opportunities for the students to explore their interest, ECA or leadership skills along side with the academic education. If the kids can make use of the opportunities, they could present a very strong application when they apply for colleges.

If you read their profiles, you may find that about 30 to 40 percent of their graduation class each year are admitted to very good colleges in the world. However, I have to say that half of its students hold US passport (which are crucial when you apply for US colleges).

Lastly, I have to caution that likely other international schools or local schools in Hong Kong, there were a number of scandals of abuse of drug or sex reported in newspaper in the past few years.

9#
發表於 14-4-14 12:57 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Thank you! What you described is very similar to the Canadian system which i grew up with, and given CDNIS gives double merit (IB + OSSD*), i am sure the ability to allow kids to explore and find out their strengths and weaknesses are about the same. I do believe thought that HKIS would probably allow the child to brush up on a better profile for University entrance, based on the schools & faculties they get into. In terms of character building perhaps that Canadian spirit may provide a more friendly and positive environment, but that could just be my patriotism speaking

For drug abuse i believe it is the same everywhere, although the recent news did target HKIS & ESF (could just mean that they are open about it given they had no choice). The key to drug resistance still lies in family bonding and the child's internal resistance. Even at age 3, i can tell my son has a strong sense of right & wrong and would refrain from getting himself into silly trouble, with or without parental supervision. That came from teaching a child natural consequences right from the start; but then, i could be wrong but can only find out when the boy is a teenager

*OSSD = Ontario Secondary School Diploma
http://www.cdnis.edu.hk/programmes/ontario-secondary-school-diploma.html

10#
發表於 14-4-14 14:01 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+Shootastar+的帖子 Thank+you!+What+

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-14 發表
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Thank you! What you described is very similar to the Canadian system which i ...
Shootastar and jolalee, very informative and constructive comments. Glad that there are parents like you in this forum.

11#
發表於 14-4-14 21:36 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Your opinion is very important to me, thank you for sharing!

12#
發表於 14-4-14 21:47 |只看該作者
Shootastar and jolalee, thank your for sharing!

13#
發表於 14-8-11 00:15 |只看該作者
Hi dannykc,

May I know what is your final decision? HKIS or CDNIS?

14#
發表於 14-8-11 19:23 |只看該作者
回覆 dannykc 的帖子

Yes, would love to know which one you've end up decided on.

15#
發表於 14-8-11 23:49 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Hi, may I know how long was the reception interview and what was it about ? Do they interview the parent as we'll? Thanks

16#
發表於 14-8-12 03:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-8-12 03:43 編輯

回覆 lovecasey 的帖子

No they do not interview the parents. The kids go in by themselves so the parents have no idea what went on inside. It was about an hour long.  

17#
發表於 14-8-12 09:00 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Thanks,
‹ 上一主題|下一主題