用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ICS 唔係International School?!
樓主: boyboy_mama
go

ICS 唔係International School?!

發表於 14-5-29 20:16 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+jolalee+於+14-05-29+發表本

原帖由 shadeslayer 於 14-05-29 發表
The 30% I think applies to new IS created in the last few years, first one being Harrow.  Future IS  ...
TVB had a programme last year or so about the high % of locals in IS, and Kingston was quoted as having 60%. That programme, as I recall, did not say the limitation on locals apply to new IS only.

發表於 14-5-29 20:20 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:ICS 唔係International School?!

In fact it is difficult to segregate locals or non-local for HK born kids with foreign passports

發表於 14-5-29 20:37 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-29 20:38 編輯

So, are schools like Kingston, Concordia & YCIS breaking the rule? Is that why YCIS applies to EDB as IS for primary  but PIS for secondary (if that really is the case), to dodge the restriction? If that is so wouldn't that give the school a big headache for students transitioning from primary to secondary?

It just dawned on me as well, with this less than 30% locals for IS & at least 70% locals for PIS, that ESF kindergarten interview priority only applies to the two PIS would be advantageous for locals?

發表於 14-5-29 21:48 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:ICS 唔係International School?!

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

發表於 14-5-29 22:39 |顯示全部帖子
The ratio of non-local students of IS has been changed:

"Under the prevailing policy, international schools (with no boarding facilities) receiving government assistance in the form of vacant premises or sites are required to allocate at least 70% of the school places to target students who hold foreign passport (except the British National (Overseas) Passport) or student visas for entry into Hong Kong for studies.  The earlier requirement was at least 50%.  To better accommodate the needs of overseas families, this requirement has been raised to at least 70% since 2009."

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/about-e ... ective20140421.html

發表於 14-5-30 07:03 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

I see! So older schools such as YCIS & Concordia just have to follow / maintain the minimum 50% overseas passport rule instead of 70%. Some schools such as DBIS, JIS & Kellet naturally has close to 90% expats anyway so they are quite alright.  I am guessing that Kingston didn't need a land grant from the HK government? Perhaps that's why they can still call themselves IS while having over 60% local family? (I heard the school is founded by a wealthy family with a heart in education).

發表於 14-5-30 07:49 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-30 14:27 編輯
poonseelai 發表於 14-5-29 20:20
In fact it is difficult to segregate locals or non-local for HK born kids with foreign passports  ...

In regards to this, for some schools like YCIS with the entire school basically 95% ethnic Chinese, it is true that ethnicity is mainly a non-issue, and if they have too many applicants with local passports they'd balance off the passport nationality as per EDB requirement with HK kids holding an overseas passport. It was the same for ESF in the past, given initially they only looked at the info submitted on paper [Cat 1 or 2, plus the passport nationality stated] that's why there are lots of ethnic Chinese kids in ESF schools. With the new change we don't know for sure, but so far the primary school interview results are positive as long as the child is fluent in English.

However, many international schools does take ethnicity in addition to passport background into consideration as well. For example: With an estimation of 300,000 Cdn passport holders in HK, CDNIS has a massive amount of applicants who are ethnically Chinese but holds a Cdn passport. (A part of our city's history of mass immigration to Canada back in the 80-90's and their kids returning to HK now to live, work & raise families of their own) However, parents with kids in the school can tell you, ethnic Chinese only consists of 30% of the school's population. So they do care about the skin color in selecting students, although it is not out in the open for discussion. I believe this is the same with AISHK, given the observation by AISHK parents that there are far more expat kids than there are ethnic Chinese kids.

發表於 14-5-30 18:02 |顯示全部帖子
Hereunder are the PIS in Hong Kong 希望冇錯啦。

1, DISCOVERY BAY PRIVATE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
2, INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS FOUNDATION ACADEMY
3, INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN QUALITY MUSIC SECONDARY AND PRIMARY SCHOOL
4, INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
5, PO LEUNG KUK CHOI KAI YAU SCHOOL
6, RENAISSANCE COLLEGE
7, VICTORIA SHANGHAI ACADEMY
8, YEW CHUNG INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL

點評

jolalee  Great! Can you add a source if there's one? Thanks!  發表於 14-5-30 19:59