用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 剛剛在報紙上看到 SAT 公佈了重大考試變更 ...
樓主: 王家爸爸
go

剛剛在報紙上看到 SAT 公佈了重大考試變更

發表於 14-4-30 07:43 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 14-4-30 07:56 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-4-30 09:18 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+simonlawht+於+14-4-30+07:57+

原帖由 simonlawht 於 14-04-30 發表
本帖最後由 simonlawht 於 14-4-30 07:57 編輯
Thanks.

I am not familiar with US exam as my son targeted HK and UK universities.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 14-4-30 10:02 |顯示全部帖子
webeheld 發表於 14-4-30 00:53
I applied to HKU myself with ACT standing.
I regret to tell you that your application should be rejected by HKU.
For your information, you have to satisfy with the basic academic requirement if you are from an US education system"

"For applicants taking SAT and/or Advanced Placement Tests:
(a) An overall minimum score of 1800 in SAT Reasoning Test; and
(b)(i) Grade 3 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests; or
(b)(ii) A score of 600 or better in each of three subjects in SAT Subject Tests.

For applicants studying Associate Degree (AD) in the US or
in a US university/college operating in Hong Kong:
(a) The US High School Graduation Diploma;
(b) At least 12 years of pre-university schooling on a full-time basis; and
(c) Successful completion of one year’s study on a full-time AD programme at a
recognized US university/community college, provided that the AD programme is
at least two years in duration.

Applicants who do not fulfil the requirements above must have obtained the AD
in order to be eligible for admission.

For applicants following Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum
(IGETC) in community colleges:
(a) The US High School Graduation Diploma;
(b) At least 12 years of pre-university schooling on a full-time basis; and
(c) Successful completion of IGETC with Grade C or above in each of the
subjects. "

You can click the following link to see again the requirement:

http://www.als.hku.hk/admission/file/upload/494/GAR.pdf

發表於 14-4-30 10:04 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

Agreed. That is why I said unless the scholarship programs require you to submit SAT scores, most US students would take SAT in Grade 11 or Grade 12.

發表於 14-4-30 10:13 |顯示全部帖子
webeheld 發表於 14-4-30 00:57
That is not true, to list a few, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, UChi and Duke are all fine with ...
Thanks for your sharing. I am a bit outdated. In the year of 2011, my D applied to 10 US colleges (including 5 in the top-20 list), all of them (including some colleges you named) required that the students needed to send scores of all your SAT or ACT tests taken in the past.
If they are relaxed with the Score Choice, then I agree that parents may send their kids to take the SAT examination for practice as early as in Grade 8 or Grade 9.

Having said so, since there is a scaling process in determining your score, the experts still suspect that your scores will not improve too much after you take 3 or more tests.

發表於 14-4-30 10:22 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

My D took both SAT and ACT. She used her ACT to make applications because her ACT score was higher than her SAT score on "conversion basis".
Since ACT tests the students on the materials they learn from their curriculum, you will have good scores in ACT if you are a good student at school. For SAT, you need to know how to play the game so you need a lot of practice and drilling. On the other hand, you need a minimal preparation for the ACT tests because the tests are based on the materials you learn in school.

發表於 14-5-2 07:47 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-5-2 07:48 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-5-2 10:21 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

It is a good idea to take the PSAT in Grade 10 and Grade 11. The Prliminary SAT's format is based on the SAT (except that there is no writing section in PSAT). The results are only given to the students and the schools. The report will identify the strength and weakness of the student in the PSAT (which also reflect his/her strength and weakness in the SAT if they take it). The students then have time to focus on their weakness so as to improve their actual SAT score when they take it in May or June in Grade 11.
It is compulsory in my kids school that the students have to take the PSAT in Grade 10 and Grade 11. Very few students in their school would take the SAT in Grade 10 or earlier.

發表於 14-5-2 10:22 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

It is a good idea to take the PSAT in Grade 10 and Grade 11. The Prliminary SAT's format is based on the SAT (except that there is no writing section in PSAT). The results are only given to the students and the schools. The report will identify the strength and weakness of the student in the PSAT (which also reflect his/her strength and weakness in the SAT if they take it). The students then have time to focus on their weakness so as to improve their actual SAT score when they take it in May or June in Grade 11.
It is compulsory in my kids school that the students have to take the PSAT in Grade 10 and Grade 11. Very few students in their school would take the SAT in Grade 10 or earlier.

發表於 14-5-2 10:27 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

My D's ACT score is better than her SAT equivalent.
She used her ACT score (as well as her AP score) to apply for CU courses and used her SAT score and AP score to apply for HKU courses. HKU does not recognise ACT score for admission purpose. Both CU and HKU gave her offers.

If your niece is from an American education system, I strongly advise her to take both ACT and SAT when she is in Grade 11. If needed, she should also take the same in October of her Grade 12.

發表於 14-5-2 10:28 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

The National Merit Program is only for US citizens or green card holders. If you are not holder of US passport or green card, you are not eligible in the program.

發表於 14-5-4 09:55 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 14-4-30 10:02
I regret to tell you that your application should be rejected by HKU.
For your information, you hav …
No not really, they have given me an offer

發表於 14-5-4 10:22 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Do you have any other qualifications such as SAT and AP?
What subject did you apply for?

What is your offer?

發表於 14-5-5 08:33 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-5-5 10:57 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

If your niece applies for early admission to US colleges (the deadline of which is 1 or 15 November, depending on the colleges she applies for), she can still take the October SAT or ACT test. It takes about 4 to 5 weeks to have the results after 4 to 5 weeks. So the scores will reach the admission office sometime in mid to late November. The admission committees still can take the October scores into account.
My daughter took the June and retook the October SAT. She took the June ACT. She took her SAT subjects test in May of Grade 11 (two subjects) and the Chinese language test in November (which is the only date for a language with listening test).

發表於 14-5-6 06:59 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-5-6 15:14 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing, especially the charts on the GPA and SAT of the top 100 US colleges.
The information gave a rough idea of the standard of the students of those schools. However, being a foreigner (not being a US citizen or green card holder), it is more difficult for them to be admitted to a top US school ( I mean top 20). They need better GPA and SAT scores than the US applicants in order to maintain competitiveness.

發表於 14-5-6 18:23 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 simonlawht 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing.  I think the chart shows the 25% quartile to 75% quartile of SAT/ACT scores, not minimum and maximum.