go

what should I do?

發表於 14-3-7 18:12 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:what should I do?

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 14-3-7 18:23 |顯示全部帖子

引用:After+reading+all+your+replies,+I+really

原帖由 ckwliu 於 14-03-07 發表
After reading all your replies, I really have a strong feeling that you should not put your girl int ...
Well said, especially your last sentence!

發表於 14-3-8 00:29 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:munich 的帖子

其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀IS。我在這裡誠心向IS家長徵詢,是希望證明自己的看法錯誤,那我便可放心讓囡囡報讀IS。
另一方面,現在IS開得如雨後春筍。但是願意千里迢迢來香港教學的好老師便會變得僧多粥少。那麼,IS的教育質素還有保證嗎?為什麼那麼多IS的香港學生在中學時到外國讀BOARDING SCHOOL?

發表於 14-3-8 00:40 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 14-3-8 03:22 編輯
broadband 發表於 14-3-8 00:29
願意千里迢迢來香港教學的好老師便會變得僧多粥少 ...

You'll be surprised how many foreigners are more than willing to come.

Put it this way, if a company in New York / London / Paris / Rome / (name your favourite foreign city) were to offer you a job with housing and education allowance for your children, would you not go?

發表於 14-3-8 00:49 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:broadband 的帖子

老實説,不愛一個人時,你可以在他身上找100個缺點;愛一個人時,就算父母也攔阻不了你的選擇。
IS or LS都有適合或不適合,IS也有不同學制和成績,選一兩間直接參觀和試考插班試吧。「莫道你在選擇人,人亦在選擇你。」心儀的IS若取録女女,試試無妨。

發表於 14-3-8 01:04 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 broadband 的帖子

The answer is staring you in the face.  Pretty obvious what the right answer is.  You, on the other hand, should spend more time learning about IS and start applying.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 14-3-8 01:10 |顯示全部帖子

引用:其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀

原帖由 broadband 於 14-03-08 發表
其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀IS。我在這裡誠心向IS家長徵詢,是希望證明自己的看法錯誤,那我 ...
"為什麼那麼多IS的香港學生在中學時到外國讀BOARDING SCHOOL? "

Answer is simple. Because IS parents wld not give a vote to universities in HK, obviously. For my case, a minor reason is my kid cannot communicate fluently in Cantonese which I believe is a disadvantage. The world is big. Young people should go out and explore.

So, this is a reason why IS students wld go abroad since secondary - learn to be independent and get prepare for university.

If you have doubt in quality of some IS teachers, I guess IS parents not only have doubt in LS teachers but the whole system.

發表於 14-3-8 02:25 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:what should I do

發表於 14-3-8 04:00 |顯示全部帖子
broadband 發表於 14-3-8 00:29
其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀IS。我在這裡誠心向IS家長徵詢,是希望證明自己的看法錯誤 ...

很欣賞你嘗試放下自己固有看法來配合你女兒的成長。

This is a good start, but doesn't mean the future path will be easy, especially since currently your child seem to do well in her school. Ultimately your family can only choose one path, and live with all its consequences (either way), and may never know what would've happen if you choose the other.

Given you are genuinely thinking of switching your child over, there is a few heads up which your family may encounter if you decide to change system now: (given she gets into a good, genuine IS)

1. Initially your girl may be socially rejected. I heard from other parents that existing IS kids may say nasty things like "you don't belong here" to kids switching from LS. Although your child is outgoing and sociable, i believe she has been socializing in Chinese? The playground language in IS is English, and so is the culture. What they read, watch and do on weekends may be quite different from one another. Kids are human, and there are both the nice and the nasty. She will need to rise above any negative treatment and move on. Unlike most parents here who has their kids growing up in an IS environment, LS family switching over may take some adapting, sorta like moving to a foreign country.

2. Parental adjustment could be devastating. Depending on the IS you choose, there may be very little homework and 'academic improvement' on your child immediately. Many parents from local families complain to the school and ask the teachers to give their kids additional exercises. That's monstrous. When in Rome, please do as the Romans.   

3. Once she adapts, there may be social gap between herself and the family. As mentioned above, the social culture is quite different from the locals. I did hear about kids who refuse to go to family meals (with relatives and/or friends) since they cannot participate holistically in the conversations. I think you child's case should be a bit better, since she has been growing up in a Canto environment until now. Age 8-12 is a good time to switch her over without losing her roots (or her Chinese accent, unfortunately).

All in all, find a good school that fits her, not just any IS. If you don't mind, I shall PM you on that.

點評

shadeslayer  May be I am lucky. My girl and us blend right in without skipping a beat. She also grow up with cusins and friends in Cantonese.  發表於 14-3-8 08:52

發表於 14-3-8 08:25 |顯示全部帖子

引用:其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀

原帖由 broadband 於 14-03-08 發表
其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀IS。我在這裡誠心向IS家長徵詢,是希望證明自己的看法錯誤,那我 ...
讓我過來人分享下。

小女和你的女兒應該有點像。她多野講,多問題,活潑,好動。她曾讀薄有名氣的傳統本地小學。成績不錯,但家長日永遠是老師投訴她多咀,堂上攪笑,出位,條裙不合規格等等。我地兩公婆的性情也不是這樣的。我們如何教導也無補於事。

我唔肯定這係咪她的性情,我唔肯定她是否只需要多點時間成長。將來的事不能預料,但我決定比D空間佢。

另一個原因是她以前的本地學校功課測考太多。長期在作戰狀態,不能享受學習。

她轉了lS後非常非常開心。放假多過幾日便說想念同學,老師。她和班上大部分同學,甚至隔離班也甚老友。她參加各種活動,非常充實。她學校其實功課不少,但全不是做練習之類。全是研究,文章,文學,present,加點數學等等。這些東西你做半小時又得,三小時又得。女兒做甚麼也非常投入,功課也一樣。

每次家長會,我和老師(十幾位)獨立傾談。差不多所有老師也認為女兒的活潑好動,開郎,幽默的情格是優點。雖然有好幾位說如果她堂上專注點,學習會比現在好。我好欣賞每位老師知道女兒的優缺點,我好欣賞學校和老師尊重孩子的獨特性,因材施教。其實她一年比一年成熟,漸漸能多一點收放自如。可能她要的,正是時間長大。在本地學校最缺乏的,就是時間。

唔知幾時,我明白到是甚麼回事。 Our lS is not trying to force my child into someone she is not. The school help parents and herself discover her strength and weaknesses, discover who she really is, where her passion lies and how best to develop her potential. I almost let out a tear when one teacher said to me don't worry, the traits that are causing some trouble right now is going to be her strength in the future. She definitely is a people person.

點評

cyberphone  good sharing.  發表於 14-4-2 13:19
torunpoland  Thanks a lot for your sharing, seriously.  發表於 14-3-10 03:35
jolalee  great sharing! thanks!!  發表於 14-3-8 09:36
The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

發表於 14-3-8 08:33 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:broadband 的帖子

發表於 14-3-8 10:54 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+broadband+於+14-03-08+發表

原帖由 shadeslayer 於 14-03-08 發表
讓我過來人分享下。

小女和你的女兒應該有點像。她多野講,多問題,活潑,好動。她曾讀薄有名氣的傳統本 ...
I really appreciate your sharing. I shared the same worries. My son will go to IS and hopefully it is the right choice for him. Thank you.

發表於 14-3-8 11:30 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+shadeslayer+於+14-03-08+發

原帖由 Shummamapapa 於 14-03-08 發表
I really appreciate your sharing. I shared the same worries. My son will go to IS and hopefully it i ...
A choice has different implications at different times. All I know is that my girl is very happy now and is interested in learning and playing. I can't ask for more at this stage.

I am not comparing LS and IS categorically. You have to do your own research well and get into a good school, a school that fits the needs of your child, be it a LS or IS.  

加油。

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

發表於 14-3-8 11:45 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+Shummamapapa+於+14-03-08+發

原帖由 shadeslayer 於 14-03-08 發表
A choice has different implications at different times. All I know is that my girl is very happy now ...
totally agree. We must remember that no schools are better than others. And we are just trying to find the best alternative only. Understand our children. And always be reflective in our beliefs. What other parents value may noy be applicable to mine.

發表於 14-3-8 11:58 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:what should I do?

Boardband入IS不是容易的,小朋友的英語要達到English as first language ,LS差的學生很難成為lS的好學生,他們連進入的機會都未必有,不是社交能力好,創意力強就能進入,所以還是有lS收你的女兒才煩吧!

發表於 14-3-8 13:41 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 broadband 的帖子

Actions speak louder than words. 咁多家長比左咁多意見而你仍然三心兩意no actions talk only的話,係嘥氣。正如有家長話,P3去報隨時排三兩年都未必有消息,到你真係過左interview,人地叫你交學費先再煩過,但如果今天報名費你都未決定比定唔比,咁請你慢慢再考慮下先啦!

發表於 14-3-8 14:01 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-3-8 14:26 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 14-3-8 23:16 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:ACE2126 的帖子

好多謝大家給我那麼多正能量。其實,我們的鄰居差不多有一半是外國人。除了同學外,囡囡最好的玩伴是兩個外國男孩,其中一個的爸媽以前是在hong kong academy教書的。但他們到其他國家任教了。所以囡囡如到IS讀書,絕對不會有與另一世界的人相處的問題。

一直以來,我們是計畫讓她讀到中學後期才到英美讀一兩中學,再考當地大學,然後回港發展的。但是,她太細膽,可能不敢離開我們獨自到外國讀書。

至於他爸爸,我說LS好他便說讀LS,老師說IS適合囡囡,他便贊成我提出的轉讀IS。他完全不做研究及分析,所以我便要承擔這重任。而最煩惱的是囡囡的能力正逐漸顯露中,在LS讀得很有自信,很開心,也得到老師的重視和同學的認同。雖然以英文寫詩,寫故事,自己設計各類文稿是她最喜歡的,但她比原IS的學生遲了幾年開始西方教學模式,她可能會因落後而放棄自己。她的缺點是遇錯折便退縮。正如先前有網友提醒會有這風險。

發表於 14-3-9 00:03 |顯示全部帖子
broadband 發表於 14-3-8 23:16
至於他爸爸,我說LS好他便說讀LS,老師說IS適合囡囡,他便贊成我提出的轉讀IS。他完全不做研究及分析,所以我便要承擔這重任。而最煩惱的是囡囡的能力正逐漸顯露中,在LS讀得很有自信,很開心... 但她比原IS的學生遲了幾年開始西方教學模式,她可能會因落後而放棄自己。她的缺點是遇錯折便退縮。...
Ha ha, your husband is like my husband. I think it is important though to let him be aware of all the financial commitments, including the rise of tuition fees, debenture (anything from 75k to 500k) as well as ancillary costs such as school trips abroad etc. If the rest he is okay, then the pressure does fall on us women, unfortunately (^.^)

As to overcoming possible transition issues, it could be good life lessons. As a primary school child, I personally had gone through language barriers, system adaption issues and discrimination (with threats of violence) in another country when my family emigrated from HK. After two years i thrived, found my strengths & talents, and increasing love to study. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;) Transition problems (if any), is short term, but the desire to learn and create, that's life long benefits.