用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 When to start learning phonics ?
查看: 3193|回覆: 21
go

When to start learning phonics ? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 05-2-17 01:46 |只看該作者

When to start learning phonics ?

My son is 4.5 yrs now. I am wondering should I send him to learn phonics now. By doing that, he should complete the whole course before he moves in to P1. It makes him easier to adopt competitive environment. However, I am afraid he is too little for this. Any comments ?

2#
發表於 05-2-17 09:56 |只看該作者

Re: When to start learning phonics ?

As early as possible if the kid can talk and communicate. I sent my boy to learn phonics at 3 yrs old.  

3#
發表於 05-2-17 09:59 |只看該作者

Of course!  Your son should start to learn phonics immediately.  My son also learn it at 3.  It is not difficult for the children to learn with the systematicaly teaching method.

4#
發表於 05-2-17 10:06 |只看該作者

which school did your son go to?  Which phonic system did they use?  Can your son blend the word now?  I always think it is easy for the kid to learn the sound of each letter but it is quite difficult for them to blend the word together at the age of three or four.  Am i  correct?

5#
發表於 05-2-17 10:08 |只看該作者

In my opinion, phonics can be learned at any ages and any time, what matters is the material used.
For young kids (kindergarten level), you may choose Letterland or Jolly Phonics. For bigger kids, other systems like the one offered by ceses. For even higher level, just go straight to learn the IPA and phonetic symbols.

6#
發表於 05-2-17 10:19 |只看該作者

Please explain more:

young kids (kindergarten level) = 3-5 years old? bigger kids = 6+?

ceses offers phonics for 4+.  Do you mean "honic Plus" is too hard for 3-5 years old?  Thanks!

7#
發表於 05-2-17 10:45 |只看該作者

Start ASAP, even at home. Show them the A, B, C plate and let them play with it every day.

Some child when they start to learn A, B, C, they learn as "Ah", Ba", "Ca' etc.

Montessori teaches phonics and that's where my son went for pre-school.

8#
發表於 05-2-17 11:42 |只看該作者

Hi mrs_tom
I would like to send my son to learn jolly phonics when he is 3 yrs old (he is 2.8 yesrs old now).  Do you know which school is better in teaching jolly phonics?  

Thanks

9#
發表於 05-2-17 12:07 |只看該作者

My girl has taken Jolly phonics when she was in K2. I think it's very useful for her to grasp some reading skill. She's now in K3 and can read the orange series of Oxford reading tree.  Below is the websites that my girl learned the course:

www.friends.edu.hk or 34278363

10#
發表於 05-2-17 14:24 |只看該作者

有無人讀過 Jolly Faith Learning Center, at Shop A2 and A3, Beacon Heights Shopping Centre, 9-13 Lung Ping Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong. 此校水準怎樣?

九龍區還有什麼phonics課程可介紹?

11#
發表於 05-2-17 15:48 |只看該作者

Hi Plato,

The website suggested K3 above.  Why yours can join in K2?

[/quote]

[quote]
plato 寫道:
My girl has taken Jolly phonics when she was in K2. I think it's very useful for her to grasp some reading skill. She's now in K3 and can read the orange series of Oxford reading tree.  Below is the websites that my girl learned the course:

12#
發表於 05-2-17 18:41 |只看該作者

Ianmammy,

Agreed with plato, my son he also learns phonics in K2 and now in K3 and at least he is capable to spell words like "October, November, bridge, internet........".
plato 寫道:

13#
發表於 05-2-17 18:50 |只看該作者

connie_mak888

Any recommended eng centres for kids at 3?  My girl is just K1 now!  I have no idea where and how to let her start learning phonics.  Pls help?

14#
發表於 05-2-27 01:31 |只看該作者

Thanks for everyone's opinions. My son may take letterland phonics organized by some private education center in Central. This is a one on one teaching program (only 1 student) by a British lady. I was able to watch outside the class room for the trial lesson and I found the class was not too boring even there is only him and the teacher.  The teacher said it is going to take him 1 to 1.5 year to complete the whole course. By then, he will be in P1. The teacher said that will be benefitial for him when he needs to do dictation at P1 and will also help to maintain his interest in English. In fact, it is quite expensive but will still try as long as it will make my son easier to adapt the competitive environment in P1.

醒目開學勳章

15#
發表於 05-3-1 14:19 |只看該作者

Ianmammy,

My son aged 3.5 years old is also taking Letterland course (in group tutor).

May I know more about the teaching style of the British lady who teach your son phonics and the fee charged?

Thank you!

16#
發表於 05-3-1 14:52 |只看該作者

angelmami

Sorry for the late reply since I do not online for about 2 weeks.  Actually, I have not attended any phonics class outside the school.  My son learned it in kg.  After he has the fundamental knowldge, I  brought the material (CD ROM, Books and CD) from Letterland and play with him every night.  I am a working mummy so I only about 0.5 hour to teach him.  Luckily, he likes the Letterlanders very much  so he can revise what he learned in kg and learn the new phonics.  Phonics can help spelling so you should let your child to start it asap.

17#
發表於 05-3-1 17:28 |只看該作者

kittylock

Can I know more about the Letterland course i.e. name, location, charges? Thanks!

Connie_mak888

May I know which kinder is your son studying now?   Where can I buy the materials?
Thanks for your help!

醒目開學勳章

18#
發表於 05-3-1 17:38 |只看該作者

My son is taking Letterland Level 2 at KinderU. The whole level costs $4,500 for 18 lessons.

There're altogether 4 levels in Letterland Phonics.

I've also bought some letterland educational materials (incl. books, CD, DVD, software and exercise books) thru' its showroom at Taikooshing.

[quote]
angelmami 寫道:
kittylock

Can I know more about the Letterland course i.e. name, location, charges? Thanks!
[quote]

19#
發表於 05-3-2 10:04 |只看該作者

kittylock

My son is studying in K3 of St Cat.  He can read the books of Stage 5-6 of the Oxford Reading Tree series as well as other books from UK.  You can buy the material from Page One in Festival Walk and also in the outlet at Tai Koo Shing.  You may consider to buy it from Page One since they offers a pack of books together with CD about $1XX.  Tai Koo Shing offers books and CD Rom (HK$$2xx).  I suggest you to shop around in Page One first.

20#
發表於 05-3-2 11:56 |只看該作者

kttylock & Connie_mak888

Thanks for your info.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題