用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 International School vs Local School
查看: 15512|回覆: 65
go

International School vs Local School

發表於 13-7-15 17:15 |顯示全部帖子
國際學校通常是一間較free的學校,少功課,no exam。local school 就較谷,尤其一些出名的直資學校such as 拔萃,那麼國際學校學生在學術知識上,會否比local school差?

發表於 13-7-15 21:16 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 cyberphone 於 13-7-17 01:27 編輯
G-girl 發表於 13-7-15 17:15
國際學校通常是一間較free的學校,少功課,no exam。local school 就較谷,尤其一些出名的直資學校such as  ...

我拋磚引玉,表達個人的看法。

G-girl的問題,都是大部份以本地 傳統學校作標準的家長看法。其實外國學校的教育理念與亞洲地區有很大的不同,他們著重個人的價值,故此由幼兒開始已著重找出每一個孩子的個別能力,不管是孩子已顯露的還是隱潛的能力。學校主動製造機會給每一個學生去發揮能力,所以自小孩子已被訓練多讀多寫,不要害怕犯錯,不用害怕權威,小孩子會錯,但老師和其他成年人也會錯,大家就在討論中互相學習,找出正確的方法。具體執行是大家要在輕鬆的環境下快樂地學習。

"學校較自由,少功課"

是,特別是幼兒班 至小學,因為學習不是在表現功課的多少和深淺來反影,這段時間 (孩子 12 歲前) 應是各自去吸收不同的知識,找出孩子的興趣和能力,所以功課都在上課時與老師和同學一起以 小組 project 形式 或個人獨立完成,放學後只有少量甚至沒有功課,讓孩子愉快地學習。引伸是這段時間孩子會被引導多看書,多發問,多出外見識,多和其他同學交流意見。活動教學便是在這基礎上的其中一種教學形式。上堂時看電影便是其中一種學習和引導討論的方式。既然在學校是看電影作學習,回家看電視也可以是一種學習。同樣,在學校看圖書後與同學討論是一種學習過程,回到家中看其他圖書也是一種功課的延伸。功課不一定是在書台上的。

" no exam "  
國際學校對學生的評分不單一在考試和測驗,他們更著重孩子平日的表現。所以他們的計分方法很著重孩子在學校的堂上功課和活動參與。

其實,國際學校學生的壓力會由 Grade 9 之後才開始,到時的壓力會與傳統學校差不多,有比較多功課和 小組project,老師也會將學生細分小組,因能力而施教。舉例來說,同班的同學上數學時,部份上正常的代數,但一部份較有能力的學生已在學習函數。同樣的,在學習語文課時,大部份可能上中文班,但某幾位同學已在學習另外一門語言,因為他們的中文能力已達到或超班了。

到了 第十二班,大家會有很多功課和壓力,因為與傳統學校一樣,要準備入大學了; 三月一小測,功課可能會深入過老師教導的,因為學校認為大家已開始獨立了, 應該自我學習甚至自我向難度和深度挑戰,要為進入成人的社會作準備了。當然假若功課上有不明白的,可以找老師查問,老師和學校會提供協助,不是屬於你那一班的老師也會幫你解決問題,因為高年班的師生已由傳統的師生邁向朋友關係,在社會上朋友不是互相幫忙嗎? 當然也有部份同學欠缺動力,可能是個人能力原因或是興趣緣因,但這些都是正常的,反正人生的比賽不是在進入大學來體現,到大家退休時才結算吧。

" 一間較free的學校,少功課,no exam " ,這才是我們孩子應該擁有的童年學校回憶,也是我們這些過來人家長曾經希望的。

可以這樣說,傳統的本地教育制度把學生變成同一模式,老師們也給壓成同一模式。但在國際學校,孩子還是快樂地百花齊放的。

請參考七月八日的明報報導,一個在讀高年班國際學校學生把功課寫成劇本,老師不單鼓勵,更協助學生在美國找到了贊助,會把劇本拍成電影,這就是發揮學生潛力的一個例子。昨天本地傳媒提及的兩個9歲外籍女童在大浪灣執拾垃圾的故事也是把孩子的內在價值觀顯現出來的另一個例子。

點評

helina  Thanks for sharing  發表於 13-11-28 00:13
CapricornO  Thanks for sharing!!!   發表於 13-11-21 11:20
choinicole    發表於 13-9-18 14:15
hksunshine    發表於 13-7-22 10:02
torunpoland  謝謝你的分享  發表於 13-7-16 09:38

發表於 13-7-15 21:25 |顯示全部帖子
回復 G-girl 的帖子

學術知識 can have many definitions.  Do you want breadth or depth?  Are you referring to the elites or the average?

At the end of the day, it is not really relevant since your child is an individual and not the average.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 13-7-15 22:07 |顯示全部帖子
正如楼上講、every child is an individual 慨括地比較国際定本地好?其実不太対。但係好想指出的是、「国際学生好軽松」這種錯誤観念、IB不容易的、HEA HEA下点会考到?CYBERPHONE好詳細説明了、軽松只是小学階段、之後就辛苦架LA。 只可説国際学校学生、不像LOCAL的、如考試機器、要死背的、可能LOCAL真係SURE WIN. 
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

發表於 13-7-16 15:07 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:International School vs Local School

其實學校本身就不能比較,本地學校己很多款,而國際學校也有很多款,只有電器之類的產品才可以列表形式比較。每間學校也有優點和缺點,我們的小孩也有優點和缺點,作為父母,只是作導引的角色及發揮和啓發她發掘自己的長處。

發表於 13-7-16 18:25 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+cyberphone+於+13-7-15+23:16+

原帖由 cyberphone 於 13-07-15 發表
本帖最後由 cyberphone 於 13-7-15 23:16 編輯
你分析得好好,非常中肯

發表於 13-7-16 22:52 |顯示全部帖子

Thanks all for the advices. 其實我老公是外國人,佢打算比個囝讀國際學校,希望他能在一個不同文化背景及愉快的環境學習。He wants to involve in his school life, join school trips and be able to communicate with parents of his classmates. 而我就有點擔心IS太free,學完很快忘記,no exam no homework 都唔知小朋友在學校是否完全明白老師所講,擔心佢會躲懶。

發表於 13-7-16 22:56 |顯示全部帖子

看完Cyberphone所寫,也認為分折中肯有道理

發表於 13-7-16 22:56 |顯示全部帖子
回復 G-girl 的帖子

There are reasons why IS are more free and less pushy in the early years.  It is really a different educational philosophy.  You may want to speak with some IS parents to understand why.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 13-7-16 23:03 |顯示全部帖子

In my humble opinion , one focuses on results while one focuses on process . One focuses on short term results while one focuses on long term benefits . One gives you the only answer to memorize while one raises a lot of questions to think .

點評

danielboy  Agree  發表於 13-7-18 04:41

發表於 13-7-16 23:06 |顯示全部帖子

Please note that this forum is IS's biased . I would suggest you to discuss with people in other forum .

點評

CapricornO    發表於 13-11-21 11:22

發表於 13-7-17 00:14 |顯示全部帖子

I know this forum is for International School. As I am considering sending my son to IS, I want to know more about the advantages of studying in IS over local school.

發表於 13-7-17 01:36 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 13-7-17 02:59 編輯
G-girl 發表於 13-7-16 22:52
IS太free,學完很快忘記,no exam no homework ...

Free, no exam, no homework, have nothing to do with 快忘記

My personal experience from having attended a traditional primary school in Hongkong. When I was at that age my granddad used to spend time with me in the evenings just chit-chatting freely about anything and everything. We had a small balcony where granddad kept some plants, one night a huge white flower suddenly sprouted up from nowhere, and my granddad told me that the flower was special, and it would wilt in a few hours as described in the saying "曇花一現", and sure enough by next morning it was all shriveled up. Another time we talked about growing potatoes, and we went to fetch a potato from the fridge and soaked it in water to see if it would grow. These are just examples of little bits of knowledge I learned from my granddad which I still remember vividly, till this day almost half a century later.

Do I remember anything from the exams and homework I did in that traditional primary school? None, nothing, zilch, and I'm GLAD that I had forgotten them all, it was like watching a boring movie that lasted for 6 years and you were not allowed to leave the cinema.

點評

helina    發表於 13-11-28 00:19
CapricornO  well said!!!  i was excellent in primary school cos i had good memory.  But all of the "knowledge" was just short term and now i can't remember anything in the exams at all!!  發表於 13-11-21 11:25
honeybunny7    發表於 13-7-22 11:19
ckwliu  Love it! "Like watching a boring movie that lasted for 6 years and you were not allowed to leave the cinema"!  發表於 13-7-19 16:44
Mighty  so where did you go after the 6 boring years?  I bet wasnt 'local' anymore (^-^)!  發表於 13-7-17 10:54

發表於 13-7-17 08:19 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:FattyDaddy 的帖子

Truly agree. At international school our kids do similar activities every day. They will remember them lifelong. Homework and exams come when they move to secondary school.

發表於 13-7-17 09:34 |顯示全部帖子

While I see many benefits of IS's discovery approach to education, it is also not being honest to ourselves if we say academically they are the same at various stages.

I think the following is reasonable conjecture. At least in the primary years, the intense drilling in all subjects local school gives local students more knowledge.  This usually means better Chinese in all aspects, more mathematics.

The PISA tests showed 15 year old HK students are among the best in reading comprehension, mathematics and science.  But also the least willing to read for pleasure. Some food for thought.

Then in the senior secondary stage and University, I don't think there is a difference academically. But the international students are typically good at solving problems.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

發表於 13-7-17 10:39 |顯示全部帖子
shadeslayer 發表於 13-7-17 09:34
While I see many benefits of IS's discovery approach to education, it is also not being honest to ourselves if we say academically they are the same at various stages.  ...
What good is academics or even knowledge if they are forgotten 5 years after the exams are done?

For those who truly believe they benefited from a traditional Hongkong / Chinese early education, try to remember something, anything, they learned from the homework and exams they did, try to recall even a single question that appeared in an exam paper, most would find that an almost impossible task.

點評

honeybunny7  I guess it depends on whether u've found fun in what you learned.  But the traditional schools' system may have made it hard for students to have time to digest and enjoy.  發表於 13-7-22 11:25
honeybunny7  This is hard to say. I really enjoyed Chinese and CHistory (sad to see it's become a forgotten subject these days) and so I remember a lot from those days. I can still recite some of the passages now   發表於 13-7-22 11:24

發表於 13-7-17 11:13 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 13-7-17 17:04 編輯

Mighty>  so where did you go after the 6 boring years?  I bet wasnt 'local' anymore (^-^)!

I had the luck to go abroad after that.

Thanks to my granddad's "unorthodox teaching" I manage to retain much of my Chinese, especially the proverbs (成語), like one time he taught me "曹沖秤象", we actually made a little paper boat and tried it out

I believe it is not how much knowledge one can cram in at the time, but how much of it is retained for life that matters, although cramming does make a child appear to be more "clever" at the time.

發表於 13-7-17 12:11 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:shadeslayer+發表於+13-7-17+09:34+W

原帖由 FattyDaddy 於 13-07-17 發表
What good is academics or even knowledge if they are forgotten 5 years after the exams are done?

Fo ...
Of course some things are more easily forgotten like "falter" is an intransitive verb for example.  However, some things are just learned and buried in your subconscious mind.

Not remembering how you learn the "times table" does not mean the recitation was useless.  

Not remembering alphabet lessons does not mean the lessons are useless.

發表於 13-7-17 12:41 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+FattyDaddy+於+13-07-17+發表

原帖由 shadeslayer 於 13-07-17 發表
Of course some things are more easily forgotten like "falter" is an intransitive verb for example.   ...
I am not an advocate of spoon feeding. I  just saying if you take 12 year old children from LS and IS and compare their Reading comprehension (extracting info from articles) Mathematics, Science, etc, I bet LS students will come on top. Is that going to reduce in high schools? Yes, I believe so. Does it mean LS students are better?  Not really.

發表於 13-7-17 14:20 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:shadeslayer 的帖子

Here's an interesting question: ask a top LS student to take the IB exams and a top IS student to take the DSE (perhaps give them some preparation time of course). Who will achieve better results?

We have seen numerous cases of top LS students switching to IS but not the other way round (to my knowledge...) What does this mean?

Many of you are in different professions. Where do the most successful people come from in your workplace? LS or IS?