搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 點評美加神級名校
樓主: Obiepapa
go

點評美加神級名校  

發表於 13-5-16 13:23 |顯示全部帖子
vicky2jennifer 發表於 13-4-30 20:07
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

thank you so much for introducing liberal arts colleges :)
My kids are still small.  But if they have no objections, and if finances allow, I surely want them to go to the US for Liberal Arts Education.   I am a product of Liberal Arts Training.   It was the happinese moment in my life (on par as when I saw the coming of new lives - my sons).  My favroite would be Swarthmore (the Quaker traditions)..  or College of the Holy Cross (the Jesuit traditions)... But all other liberal arts colleges in the US are very fine schools no matter what religious traditions they come from.   I guess yours is from the Methodist Church, isn't it?
By the way, just posted an article on Liberal Arts Education.  Even Britain now is opening its first Liberal Arts College - The Regent College.  Read it.  And enjoy your time at school and let your mind expand and explore; one of my economics professor (one of the best and brighest - later went on to work for the Federal Reserve) told me once, "the most terrible thing to waste in the world is a bright mind.'   And I reckon, in our Asian traditional education system, we are doing exactly that - wasting so many bring minds.

發表於 13-5-16 14:31 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

Fatrara,
It is glad to find that more and more HK people appreciate the beauty of liberal arts education. As many other HK people, I was trained under the subject based/ professional based education (typically UK type). May be I am stupid, it took me years to be enlightened and my views broadened from my narrow professional/vocational field.

To me, it is never be too late to be trained professionally. But it would be better to train a person early the way we should look at our world, our people and our life ( sound philosophical, but it involves the interplay of the skills of critical analysis, creative thinking, problem solving,....). The skill sets that will not obsolete with the advancement of technology and irreplaceable by machine.

My son is studying in a liberal arts focus university in the states and he enjoys the education so much.

Apart from UK, Singapore has a liberal arts university established in 2012: Yale - National University of Singapore. Should be a very good university for those who does not want to go too far to the US or the UK.

發表於 13-5-16 23:38 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

Why college of the holy cross is your favourite? Any specific reasons?I'm considering sending my daughter to a LAC in the US as well.
What's your opinions towards college of the holy cross, mount Holyoke college, union college, Gettysburg college, Wheaton college ma, Sarah Lawrence college, Knox college?

發表於 13-5-17 13:57 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 13-5-17 14:44 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-5-17 15:22 |顯示全部帖子

引用:點評美加神級名校+呢篇文試著點評美加各大

原帖由 Obiepapa 於 13-04-23 發表
點評美加神級名校
能否點評英澳神級名校?

發表於 13-5-17 20:31 |顯示全部帖子
回復 vicky2jennifer 的帖子

Thank you so much for your sharing.Do u mind sharing with me your experience in Mt. Holyoke?
How do you feel about studying in an all-girls school?
Why did you choose this school at first?
Do you think LACs are less advantageous than Research universities in finding jobs?

發表於 13-5-17 23:19 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-5-18 10:40 |顯示全部帖子
Dear McDlove,

There a fewer employers in HK know the LAC other than the top top ones, such as Amherst, Swarthmore, Bowdoin. Panmona, etc. It is absolutely no problem to find jobs in US from LAC. In addition, undergraduate students may pursuit post graduate studies.

I conducted college visits two years ago when my son took interviews with these colleges. All LAC in East Coast. I also share some views / impression with you. All the colleges I visited are very good, except that some are too far away.

NY upstate:
Hamilton - very good school and nice environment. Ranking improved substantially. Rich in endowment. Locally too far away from city.

Connecticut
Wesleyan - the one 陳家強 studies his undergraduate degree prior to his post graduate degree in  U Chicago. Nice environment. Great school. Locally good.

Massachusetts
Turts - not purely LAC, but strong in LAC subjects. Relatively small and a highly selective college. Beauty is in the heart of Boston

Brandeis - Small research university in Boston, with LAC focus. Undergraduate students body is small. College environment is inferior to Turfts, But also an excellent university.

Boston College - Well connected to  Boston city centre. It has strong LAC tradition.

Maine ( for location reason, we did not apply any of the LAC in Maine)
Bowdoine - excellent college. impressive staff. So high the ranking that I am not need to describe more. Location is an issues, however. Thus we did not apply.

Bates - the least on my son's list after the visit

Colby - nice environment and good staff.

Separately, my son talked to the staff of Amherst when attending college fair in his prep school. He was very impressed. Yet he was rejected.

Some others we didn't visit but consider very good.
Carleton the one 練乙錚 attended. - my son did not choose as he wants to stick to MA.

Vassar - my son told me that it is unique ( or waired) in terms of school culture.

For women college, of course, Wellesley is top on the list. One college I will strongly recommend to women is Smith. Good location. The college even offers a paid internship (college pay to employers for employing their students as interns) for students.

One distinctive features of LAC is their smaller in size and thus students can access to more opportunities - opportunities to build closer relationship with professors and staff and opportunities for internships, exchanges, school jobs, etc.

發表於 13-5-18 13:31 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-5-19 14:22 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

Thank you for your information.I'm actually wondering if there's an education fair in HK which features LAC representatives so that my daughter and I can obtain much more information.

發表於 13-5-20 09:20 |顯示全部帖子
Dear McDlove,

Every Sept, the IIE (http://www.iiehongkong.org/?page_id=675# ) will organize a US higher education fairs in HK, though not LAC focus. But I believe you may find some there.

Unless you go for college tour, doing web search nowadays is not far inferior than education fair. Here are some useful links:

www.collegeboard.org
www.collegeconfidential.com
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsa ... beral-arts-colleges

發表於 13-5-20 13:52 |顯示全部帖子
MCDlove 發表於 13-5-16 23:38
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

Why college of the holy cross is your favourite? Any specific reasons?I'm consi ...
HI, MCDlove,
I think vicky2jennier is quite knowledgable about the LAC on the East Coast.  Keep talking to her, and get your daughter to talk to her.   Besides, she is in the market,  I graduated many years ago, and am out of the market.

(But vicky2jennier, please tolerate my ignorance, what is "LOL"?)

Anyway, I do not know much of any of the schools you mentioned other than reading their websites, and from Wikipedia.  I like College of the Holy Cross because I like the Jesuit tradition.  The Jesuits are some of the most outspoken and intellectual in the Catholic Church.  The current Pope Francis is a Jesuit, and the first Jesuit to become Pope.  He was chosen because the Cardinals hope he can change the Church big time.  I guess only a Jesuit would have the intellect and the guts to do big changes.  We will see.

I guess you and your daughter can outline a few most important criteria in choosing a school: TUITION, TRADITION, RANKING, PROXIMITY to big cities (I think it is important, students need to get out of the suburbs and mingle back to the crowd once in a while, especially for Hong Kong students), ACCERLATION programs (some LACs have deals with graduate schools in which they can proceed to obtain their professional degrees in shorter time - e.g, getting a Law degree in 6 years - 4 in undergraduate and 2 in law school (law school normally takes 3 years)), , CROSS campus/schools class taking, etc.   All these things can be very enriching during the 4 years of studies, and they should be part of the learning process.

One school caught my eyes though -- Sarah Lawerence College.  It is not ranked in the US Word Reports.  It is expensive, but it has some very distinguished alumni. One is Rahm Emmanuel.  He was Obama's Presidential Campaign Manager, and later his White House Chief of Staff.  He now is the Mayor of Chicago.  I think he is one of the smartest Political Strategists.   He was able to help Obama going from a junior Senator, practically unknown  in the US political scene, to becoming the President of the United States.  Amazing.

Thank you for asking for my opinion, but like vicky2jennier said, it is the opinion of your daugther that is the most important.  She is the one who has to stay in the college for the next 4 years.  Good Luck.  

發表於 13-6-11 13:18 |顯示全部帖子
vicky2jennifer:

You might be interested to take a look at this.  The University admission list of HKIS for the graduates of 2013.  It looks like there are 3 girls are coming your way.    http://dragonnet.hkis.edu.hk/index.php?option=news&id=1063

發表於 13-6-15 17:17 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+Obiepapa+於+13-04-23+發表點

原帖由 elbar 於 13-05-17 發表
能否點評英澳神級名校?
英國我只識三間學校:牛津,劍橋,LSE

http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=group&fid=5927

發表於 13-6-20 16:38 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Fatrara 的帖子

I went to Pepperdine for MBA, they have have a JD/MBA programs, it's true that they have very good connections.

發表於 13-7-10 23:28 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:hellohihi123 的帖子

Mba主要是識下人,以後找份好工

發表於 13-10-23 23:21 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+Obiepapa+於+13-04-23+發表點

原帖由 elbar 於 13-05-17 發表
能否點評英澳神級名校?
我老婆話澳洲間間差吾多,無乜好評喔感覺澳洲學校相對平均。英美學校就好吾同,參次更多。

發表於 13-10-24 11:11 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Obiepapa 的帖子

係吖,例如入神級名校但讀唔係咁強嘅科目,質素好唔同,例如入哥大engineering, barnard, 同入arts & science 差好遠,另外NYU 最好係business school, 其他科就易入好多

發表於 13-10-24 18:57 |顯示全部帖子

引用:係吖,例如入神級名校但讀唔係咁強嘅科目,

原帖由 luingan 於 13-10-24 發表
係吖,例如入神級名校但讀唔係咁強嘅科目,質素好唔同,例如入哥大engineering, barnard, 同入arts & scien ...
哥大金融工程都吾差。傳統工程好一般。