教育王國 討論區 海外留學 點評美加神級名校
樓主: Obiepapa
go

點評美加神級名校  

發表於 13-4-26 08:08 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回復+Obiepapa+的帖子 Since+when+are+lib

原帖由 HKTHK 於 13-04-25 發表
回復 Obiepapa 的帖子

Since when are liberal arts colleges 3-year non-degree programs?
I think I mean 3 yr community college.

點評

HKTHK  BTW, I would recommend adding those liberal arts colleges to the top as well  發表於 13-4-26 11:20
http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=group&fid=5927

發表於 13-4-26 09:40 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:點評美加神級名校

Sorry to raise some examples which may be fall in Community College category.

My intention just emphasis some colleges or universities not known in HK, can be reputable locally.

點評

HKTHK  They are not Community Colleges!  發表於 13-4-26 10:07
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 13-4-26 10:06 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 13-4-26 10:14 編輯

回復 Obiepapa 的帖子

Community college in the US are two-years and do not offer a degree.  Liberal arts colleges like Claremont, Pomona, Harvey Mudd or the top ones listed on usnews like Williams and Amherst are four-year degree programs. They are called liberal arts colleges since they tend to be smaller with a focus on undergraduate programs and they also offer a more well-rounded liberal arts education.  I would say Williams and Amherst are as good as some of the lower-tier Ivies.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 13-4-26 12:01 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Sorry+to+raise+some+examples+which+may+b

原帖由 ANChan59 於 13-04-26 發表
Sorry to raise some examples which may be fall in Community College category.

My intention just em ...
No worry

發表於 13-4-26 12:03 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+HKTHK+於+13-4-26+10:14+編輯+

原帖由 HKTHK 於 13-04-26 發表
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 13-4-26 10:14 編輯

回復 Obiepapa 的帖子
Good information to note

發表於 13-4-26 14:05 |顯示全部帖子
ANChan59 發表於 13-4-25 16:12
跟美國朋友以前傾開大學,他提及幾間私立在美國好出名,香港較少人知,可以一搏,但冇心裝載,忘記了,有一 ...
I think you might be talking about Pepperdine University.  Very good private school.  The law school is one of the best.  Famous faculty member included Arthur Laffer (The Laffer Curve in named after him).

發表於 13-4-26 14:18 |顯示全部帖子
HKTHK 發表於 13-4-26 10:06
回復 Obiepapa 的帖子

Community college in the US are two-years and do not offer a degree.  Liberal  ...
I concur with HKTHK and like to strongly reiterate that "Community Colleges" are entirely different from "Liberal Arts Colleges".   Admissions to Liberal Arts colleges are becoming more and more sought after by US students.  And professional schools (medical schools, law schools, etc.) and graudate schools (Ph.D degrees) increasingly take in undergraudates from liberal arts colleges.
In fact, they have become such a distinctive education stream that the US News and World Reports now rank them separately from the traditional unversities. Pls see http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges.   For the latest ranking: #1 - Williams College, #2 - Amherst College, #3 - Swarthmore College, #4 - Middlebury College, #5 - Pomona College.

If I have the money, I will no doubt send my kids to a liberal arts college.  I reckon it is the best undergraudate education.   I know a kid from HK who graduated from ESF, then Swarthmore College, now he is a Ph.D candidate at UC Berkerly with a full scholarship.  

點評

torunpoland  glad that someone like u have mentioned Amherst!  發表於 13-5-4 09:10

發表於 13-4-26 14:27 |顯示全部帖子
One more thing.  In Liberal Arts Colleges, students are taught by professors, whereas in state universities (and I heard in many of the large so-called Ivy League schools), lower class courses (and sometimes even upper class courses) are taught by graudate students (those who are pursuring their doctorate degrees).  The qualities of teaching are very different.

發表於 13-4-26 14:48 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

In large universities, I think the lectures are still taught by professors but the tutorials are taught by teaching assistants who are graduate students.  I have also heard of some classes that are so large that the lectures are simultaneously played in other lecture halls or class rooms since the lecture hall is not large enough to fit everyone.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 13-4-26 15:43 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回復+Fatrara+的帖子 In+large+universiti

原帖由 HKTHK 於 13-04-26 發表
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

In large universities, I think the lectures are still taught by professors but  ...
This indeed would happen in some big size university.

發表於 13-4-30 20:00 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 13-4-30 20:07 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-4-30 20:23 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-5-1 01:21 |顯示全部帖子
Fatrara 發表於 13-4-26 14:05
I think you might be talking about Pepperdine University.  Very good private school.  The law school ...
Thanks for your info, I remember, should be Pomona.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 13-5-1 02:24 |顯示全部帖子
回復 vicky2jennifer 的帖子

I have the impression that Emory's Oxford College is a community college. Please correct me if I am wrong.

發表於 13-5-1 09:55 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 13-5-3 15:47 |顯示全部帖子
回復 vicky2jennifer 的帖子

Thanks for your information.
I just go to Wikipedia which said that Oxford College is a 2-year introductory liberal art college and the students can continue at Emory University after Oxford College for a degree.

The admission rate for 2013 is 41%. When compared with the Emory College's admission rate, which I understand, is less than 20%. In terms of popularity, there is a difference between Oxford College and Emory College. Anyway it is a short cut to obtain an Emory degree. It is just like many students go to study community college in California with the hope to switch to UCLA or UC Berkeley after the community college.

發表於 13-5-8 12:31 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

My son's school mate in high school went to Emory Oxford last year. The campus is located 5-10 km away from main campus. No of students are smaller. He is a bit upset about the college life, as he reckons it no different from prep school life.
The reason for him to choose Emory Oxford is that he was so aggressive in college application and was rejected by all top tier uni (all ivy league). Two years in a place away from main campus will also mean that you have less chance to extend the social network and less chance to participate in the main campus activities/opportunities.

Though indirect, Emory Oxford is a good choice for those who aims at Emory or its equivalent but academically marginal. Those from Emory Oxford will end up with the same Emory degree.

發表於 13-5-8 13:29 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing.
It is true that it is a short cut to obtain an Emory degree by applying to Oxford College of Emory first and then switching to Emory College after 2 years.

發表於 13-5-11 19:09 |顯示全部帖子