用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!
樓主: Mom2One
go

No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!   [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 13-2-5 10:56 |只看該作者
So what would be the real changes in terms of admission process for my kid who has a sibling studying at ESF primary already?

62#
發表於 13-2-5 13:52 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sonicgina 於 13-2-5 13:52 編輯

回復 poonseelai 的帖子

Yes

63#
發表於 13-2-5 14:03 |只看該作者

回覆:Hedgies 的帖子

U hv got an higher priority than before if u are cat2 siblings

64#
發表於 13-2-5 14:12 |只看該作者
回復 konimama 的帖子

Thanks!  Does this mean that I need to attend the parent interview too?? If so, this would seem a bit strange as my other kid is already studying there..

點評

davidgorman  The new policy will not affect you. Therefore, you don't need to attend the parent interview.  發表於 13-2-17 18:32
mouton  Primary school, right? Your kid is studying in the primary school, so no matter you have moved your home to another district, the younger one should able to allocate to the same one.  發表於 13-2-5 22:00
FattyDaddy  If I were you I would ask the school directly instead of listening to rumours and hear-say on internet, many such comments are made by people who have very little to do with ESF  發表於 13-2-5 14:22

65#
發表於 13-2-5 14:18 |只看該作者

回覆:konimama 的帖子

Starting this year (admission for Aug 2013), sibling's priority is before Cat 1. Correct me if I am wrong, there is no difference in cat 1/2 for siblings already.

66#
發表於 13-2-5 14:20 |只看該作者
My understanding is that everyone will need to go through the new interview process, once it is in place (2014 onwards?).

Just like before, the priorities you hold (eg sibling) will put you ahead in terms of getting the interview opportunity (the interview letter). But the interview format itself will be the new process - ie. more specific testing of the child as well as parent interview (and mission statement).

點評

WYmom  New interview process starts by August 2013.  發表於 13-2-5 15:22

67#
發表於 13-2-5 14:31 |只看該作者
I thought siblings (regardless of whether the child can speak cantonese or not) already have a higher priority than cat 1 children with no siblings in the current admission policy?

68#
發表於 13-2-5 15:06 |只看該作者

回覆:tay 的帖子

Also read in scmp today that esf is thinking about new corporate nomination rights.  So be on the lookout, more "goodies" to come

69#
發表於 13-2-5 16:39 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 mouton 於 13-2-5 16:43 編輯

The Corporate Surety Scheme was first introduced in 2007, ESF was unable to offer places in the first year of primary school under the previous Corporate Surety Scheme.  They want to review it and make the application availability at least a year in advance.  Finally, they established Nomination Rights Scheme to replace the Corporate Surety Scheme in October 2012.

70#
發表於 13-2-5 17:25 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Mom2One 於 13-2-5 17:28 編輯
Mom2One 發表於 13-2-5 14:20
My understanding is that everyone will need to go through the new interview process, once it is in p ...

WYmom  New interview process starts by August 2013.  發表於 1 小時前

Actually the interviews will be in early 2014.  Assuming ESF continues with the same timeline as before, the new round of applications will take place in Sep 2013, interview letters will go out around end-Nov and the actual interviews will happen in Jan 2014.

71#
發表於 13-2-5 22:26 |只看該作者

回覆:Hedgies 的帖子

I hv attended the interview which is in SJS. They are the first school to interview both parents started from 2 years ago.
That's the only way to find out who flake they are cat1 though.
We have the most number Cat2 get in ESF. Many parents from TKO, which their catchment area goes to CWS, they changed their address to Sha Tin area, like buying flats, move to Shatin, just wanna get in SJS interview.
Interview is very simply and causal, Vice Principal chat with both parents, talking about your child daily life, how's you will enhance their English capability, what's your view about ESF education. And what u expected ESF can give your child.
Very normal one. We just told him, we want to put him with the schools not so pushy and let him roll ~~~~ explore his interests and grow.
You don't need to state any silly thing like interview in local school, just talk about why you choose international school.
Be yourself!!!

72#
發表於 13-2-5 22:40 |只看該作者

回覆:21Ckid 的帖子

Very true!

Sweetheartb

73#
發表於 13-2-5 23:24 |只看該作者

回覆:konimama 的帖子

like the constitutional law of England,  no need everything black and white!  tradition and immaterial heritage can carry on generation after generation.

74#
發表於 13-2-6 08:40 |只看該作者

回覆:Mom2One 的帖子

咁咪唔洗再嘈屬Cat1 & Cat 2 既問題囉!

75#
發表於 13-2-6 09:33 |只看該作者
回復 konimama 的帖子

Thanks Konimama for your sharing! very helpful color on the parental interview!

76#
發表於 13-2-6 10:45 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

77#
發表於 13-2-6 14:00 |只看該作者
Frankly speaking, I think what ESF is doing is to reinforce the cat 1/2 system rather than abolishing it.  In essence they are saying "You said you are cat 1, we don't believe your BS.  Come and prove it in person, parents".

It's not too difficult to make a kid cat 1.  I won't say it's fake cat 1.  But rather it's man made cat 1.  The kid will be speaking english and englidh only because only english will be taught to him / her.  To reinforece the cat 1 / 2 system, the parents need to be cat 1 too or at least speaking fluent english.

So what would be the end result?  I don't know.  Those foreign (western) parents speaking native english will definitely benefit from the new policy.  How about local parents?  I don't believe all local parents can speak fluent english or even fluent HK english.  So it's wrong to say it's now fair to all local parents / kids.  (I am not saying this is good or bad.)  For mainlanders, I don't know how many or little of them speak fluent english.  But I guess it would be less than 50% of them.

I don't know if the new policy is good or bad but I have a feeling that it's more difficult for a local kid with local parents to get in.  Or the other way round it's easier for non-locals to get in.

78#
發表於 13-2-6 14:05 |只看該作者

回覆:No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!

Si

79#
發表於 13-2-6 14:42 |只看該作者
poohpoohmouse 發表於 13-2-6 14:00
Frankly speaking, I think what ESF is doing is to reinforce the cat 1/2 system rather than abolishin ...
I agree.  Obviously, ESF is moving away from the non-selective system.  Can't fault it. Abolishing the category I/II system means more flexibility (and probably more money). Why not?  What is not so good news to those who don't speak fluent English is that they will have to brush up their, not just their children's English.  For some local Hong Kong parents, they may find it more difficult to secure a place at ESF.  In the new game, ESF wants "category I family", not just "category I applicants".  The bar is raised.

80#
發表於 13-2-6 14:45 |只看該作者
poohpoohmouse 發表於 13-2-6 14:00
Frankly speaking, I think what ESF is doing is to reinforce the cat 1/2 system rather than abolishin ...
They are basically saying, we don't care whether you speak Cantonese, we only care about your English. Obviously, if some children can only learn one language and they choose to learn Cantonese, they won't fare well under the new system.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題