用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 An irrelevant question on school fees vs family inco ...
樓主: minirat
go

An irrelevant question on school fees vs family income [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-12-6 10:27 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 12-12-5 22:10
Haha, a 1600 sq ft Bel-Air apartment is a bit extreme

This $77,000 poverty line thing, I wo ...

Agree 1600 sqft Bel-Air apartment is extreme scenario, haaa!

Personally I find the HK$77K poverty line unbelievable!

22#
發表於 12-12-6 11:43 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Shootastar 於 12-12-6 11:59 編輯

If it is too stretched to one's financial position to put the kid in an IS since primary school, I feel it is not a bad idea that the kid studies at a primary LS. Whether to send the kid to an IS for secondary education would depend on one's financial posiition. If it is still stretched, one may consider putting the kid to take the IB program offered by local schools. Alternatively, he can save the money for the kid's tertiary education overseas.

There are many good primary schools in each district.

23#
發表於 12-12-6 11:56 |只看該作者
Shootastar 發表於 12-12-6 11:43
If it is too stretched to one's financial position to put the kid in an IS since primary school, I f ...

I think many are concerned that the competitiveness of IS now does not allow one to be admitted halfway, ie. seconday school.  I share your views that one should not be struggling financially to send the kids to IS.  Education is important but not everything of the whole family.  For many people in our generation, we went through the traditional LS and studied aboard for tertiary education.  That could be an option.  Having said that, that does not help to skip the torturing process of getting into elite LS.  I believe there is one of the reasons why many opted for IS over LS.

24#
發表於 12-12-6 12:04 |只看該作者
回復 minirat 的帖子

I was trying to point out an extreme scenario!  But I think also an indication of how ridiculous the prices of real estates are in HK.  While some complains about the cost of education, the price for 3 sq ft in a house at the Peak ( 3 X HK$35,000/sq ft) is enough to pay for one year's tuition.  Three Square Feet!  So for all of one child's education cost, it will be less expensive than a kitchen
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

25#
發表於 12-12-6 12:05 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 12-12-6 12:15 編輯

回復 minirat 的帖子

I am really not sure IS is all that easier to get in than LS these days

26#
發表於 12-12-6 12:20 |只看該作者
回復 minirat 的帖子

If finance is not a problem, then we will have the luxury of making a choice. My suggestion is for those who feel it is a financial burden to put the kids to study IS since primary school.

I agree with you that it is difficult to put the kids in an international school half way through. However, I understand that it is a matter of waiting. If you put your kid in the waiting list of different IS, there is still chance that the kids may be admitted. Some of the students may study overseas after Grade 8 or Grade 9. Personally, I had known 3 friends who had successfully placed their kids to CIS, ESF and HKIS at Grade 9. So it is not impossible that the kids may be admitted half way.

Regarding the local elite schools such as DGS, DBS or St. Paul coed, the competition is also very fierce. However, it would not be the end of the day if your kids are not admitted by those elite schools. There are a number of good district schools. So long as you keep your kids in the right track, there are ample opportunities for them to study in a good secondary school or IS. Hope is always here. The most important fact is the we can know how to handle our kids future.

27#
發表於 12-12-6 12:25 |只看該作者
回復 HKTHK 的帖子

I am sure no one will object to your statement about the ridiculous property prices in HK!  Your quote "So for all of one child's education cost, it will be less expensive than a kitchen" is funny but sad at the same time.  Nevertheless if we choose to stay in HK, we just have to live with it.  So we have to be "calculative" in terms of providing a shelter for the family as well as choosing the right education for our children, including the financial considerations of coz.  An all-time struggle for the middle class.

28#
發表於 12-12-6 12:28 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 minirat 於 12-12-6 12:43 編輯
HKTHK 發表於 12-12-6 12:05
回復 minirat 的帖子

I am really not sure IS is all that easier to get in than LS these days

I share your views that getting into IS is probably equally painful now, just that the strategies are different.  Anyway this is just one of the few reasons why we choose IS over LS.  And it might not be easy to secure a spot in IS, but studying in IS is definitely less hectic.  This is also another big concern.  Personally I don't believe in drowning a kid with lots of homeworks and preparing him/her with many different certificates, kind of education.  Of coz I don't want to help with homeworks too, haaa!

29#
發表於 12-12-6 12:33 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 minirat 於 12-12-6 12:39 編輯
Shootastar 發表於 12-12-6 12:20
回復 minirat 的帖子

If finance is not a problem, then we will have the luxury of making a choice. M ...

Thanks for the information.  When you said "queue", do you mean the queue on the waiting list?  Honestly I am still exploring the options myself.  I am aiming SIS, and I am Singaporean.  I know we have priority but maybe not guarenteed spot, so I have to think of backup plans.

Finance is always a concern for middle class like us.  Maybe not a problem as yet, but we do need to think ahead, since we do not come from rich family, and solely on our own.  And the question whether it is necessary to spend that kind of money on education keeps popping into my mind.

30#
發表於 12-12-6 12:44 |只看該作者
回復 minirat 的帖子

It is both shocking and sad.  While there are still plenty of distasteful display of wealth, it is not as bad as China and some SE Asia countries.

As parents, I think it is our job to provide for the kids.  And often times, it is not really the school but the upbringing that one gave them at home that matters in the end.

31#
發表於 12-12-6 13:20 |只看該作者

引用:回復+minirat+的帖子 If+finance+is+not+a

原帖由 Shootastar 於 12-12-06 發表
回復 minirat 的帖子

If finance is not a problem, then we will have the luxury of making a choice. M ...
However, I understand that it is a matter of waiting. If you put your kid in the waiting list of different IS, there is still chance that the kids may be admitted.

Xxxxxxxx

Of course there is still chance IF the child is prepared.  I know several cases personally where LS students failed IS English test.  I also know a case where IS student failed English test of another IS in more than one year.

As with LS, not all IS were created equal. Some new ones are easier to get in but does it worth the risk.

After all, we strive to find the best education for our children.  If I have a choice of a decent LS vs a mediocre IS, I know what my answer is.

Having said this, some good IS have one additional class at year 7, increasing chances to get in.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

32#
發表於 12-12-6 14:11 |只看該作者
回復 HKTHK 的帖子

I couldn't agree more.  Education is just one of the many things we need and can provide for our children.  Love is priceless and "free"!

33#
發表於 12-12-6 14:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Shootastar 於 12-12-6 14:54 編輯

回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

That is true. That is why I said "if you put your child in the right track (including keeping up his English standard), there are ample opportunities for them to study in a good secondary school or ISo go into IS".
‹ 上一主題|下一主題