搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 UK Year 7 Co-ed School
發新帖
查看: 2307|回覆: 7
go

UK Year 7 Co-ed School

發表於 12-10-9 16:06 |顯示全部帖子
Dear All,

I am planning to send my son to study Year 7 (full boarding) in 2014 and have applied the following elite co-ed schools:-
1. Oundle School
2. Sevenoaks School
3. Oakham School
4. St. Olave's School

Can you please give me some comments about the schools mentioned above?  I want him to study in Co-ed school so that his sister can join (hopefully) the same school for Year 7 later.  Any other recommendations?

Thanks

發表於 12-10-9 18:57 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:demio 的帖子

Is St Olave a state school without boarding facility?

Oundle has strength in science subjects than in arts subjects. Sevenoak is one of the best three schools in Kent.  My son has some former classmates studying in these two schools and they highly recommend these two schools.

發表於 12-10-9 22:33 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 demio 於 12-10-9 22:38 編輯

回復 CPU1995 的帖子

Thanks for your reply, CPU1995.

St Olave's School, York, as far as I understand, is a private independent school, graduates will go straight to St. Peter's School, York and they have boarding facilities.

My son is good in maths and chemistry, but not biology.  I looked at FT table as well as Good Schools Guide and finally shortlisted the schools I applied for him.  Any other schools you would recommend?  At this moment I will not consider state schools.

發表於 12-10-9 23:33 |顯示全部帖子

I misread St Olave with another state school which is ranked 26 this year.

You may also consider Brighton which is recommended by my friend.  I trust that the academic caliber of St Peter is not as strong as Oundle, Sevenoaks which are always within top 80 during the past several years.

發表於 12-10-10 01:58 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 demio 於 12-10-10 02:01 編輯

回復 CPU1995 的帖子

CPU1995,

Thanks.  In fact, I emailed Brighton and am waiting for the prospectus and the application form.  It seems to me that not many schools (I mean strong academic but independent) offer boarding for Year 7.  I once considered Uppingham but Year 7 is only for day student :(

I am sure all the schools mentioned are competitive and not sure whether my son can receive an offer from one of those schools.  

Regarding the 11+ entrance test, do you have any idea about the interview?  I have some of the pass papers but not sure about the interview.

Many thanks!

發表於 12-10-10 06:38 |顯示全部帖子

If you apply by yourself, I think the entrance test will take place in British Council HK and there will be no interview.

I have no idea on Year 7 interview but I would like to share the interview of one of my sons;
1 Do you miss your parent and your former classmates? How do you overcome this and adapt the boarding life?
2 Please briefly introduce one person famous in the world and describe his /her contribution and weakness.

I think the interview just tests the fluency of your kid's English. The written test is the crucial factor. The competition for lower form of top notch school is not as keen as Grade 9 or Grade 12.

發表於 12-10-10 07:14 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:CPU1995 的帖子

I think that all the schools mentioned can be applied thro agency in HK such as AA. In this way, you may save the exam service fee charged by British Council HK for about $2,200 per one entrance exam.

發表於 12-10-10 11:19 |顯示全部帖子
CPU1995,

Thanks for your advice.  You are correct, as Year 7 competition is not as keen as Year 9 and therefore we decided to let him go early

Does it make any difference between applying direct to school or through agency (other than saving the exam service fee)?  I once checked with AA (without informing them I have already applied direct to the school) and they suggested me to let my son to take the test first, though he's now P5.  My husband has hesitation to do it through agent but I'm not sure about it.  Can you please give me some insight on this?

Many thanks.