用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 點解咁少人送子女去美國讀中學?
查看: 4986|回覆: 32
go

點解咁少人送子女去美國讀中學?

發表於 12-8-21 09:55 |顯示全部帖子
小朋友小一,我想小朋友在本地學校讀完初中後去外國讀高中大學。現想先了解一下做些準備。但唔知去邊個國家好。見很多人去英國。除了公務員因素外,是什麼原因呢?

發表於 12-8-21 11:24 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 12-8-22 17:38 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:點解咁少人送子女去美國讀中學?

大概幾錢?

發表於 12-8-22 18:06 |顯示全部帖子
我打算送仔去美國讀中學。私立寄宿中學學費住宿雜費大約5萬美金一年左右

點評

CATHERINEAUNTIE  係呀! 我之前問過Agency有間私校本來話全年約5萬美金,點知我收單想比錢先知約5萬美金半年.後來,朋友介紹我一間Agency約3萬美金一年.所以價錢差好遠.  發表於 12-8-27 23:00

發表於 12-8-22 18:44 |顯示全部帖子
Approximately, how many Hong Kong kids would go to USA for secondary education?

發表於 12-8-22 23:57 |顯示全部帖子
就是因為學費太貴,打算完成在港完成中六才送仔去美國讀大學!

點評

CATHERINEAUNTIE  好似出國讀書,價錢都差唔多.  發表於 12-8-27 23:03
ekh  美國貴, 但點解唔改去第二度呢??  發表於 12-8-27 13:56

發表於 12-9-19 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
the reason is simple, they want their children to get a job in Hk after graduation and they think US system is different from HK system and so they dont sent their children to USA. Another reason if of course that USA discourage sending kid to the states at early stage of the kid, unlike UK where you can sent a child of 6 and no one will say a word,

發表於 12-9-20 10:29 |顯示全部帖子
How is getting a job relevant if one is not in a professional field where US qualifications are not recognized?
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 12-9-22 00:31 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:點解咁少人送子女去美國讀中學?

I am a mom of two kids now.  I went to the states for high school at age 15.  Then I got my accounting degree and CPA license in california.  I had been working in an US accounting firm  for a few years and then returned to Hk for good.  I never have problems to find jobs in hong kong.  All of my friends, who graduated from US universities, are working in big companies in Hk.

發表於 12-9-22 11:49 |顯示全部帖子
I agree with you and that's why I have no idea what Scotman is referring to

點評

martialartsmum  I think Scotsman is just giving an observation. It is probably truer in the old days. Don't know about now.  發表於 12-12-1 02:36
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

發表於 12-9-22 23:08 |顯示全部帖子

引用:the+reason+is+simple,+they+want+their+ch

原帖由 Scotman 於 12-09-19 發表
the reason is simple, they want their children to get a job in Hk after graduation and they think US ...
I don't really think that is a reason. All the bright people I met so far are all from US system. They are academically capable and with entrepreneur mindset. They work in prestige company in their sector and earn a decent income.

發表於 12-9-24 00:31 |顯示全部帖子
回復 lui 的帖子

Not all,but most of the most smart people I met are from the US. US owns the most advanced technology, a lot of Nobel prize winners and more top ranked universities. These are reasons of going there to study.
In my opinion, one of the reasons why not so many people go to USA is because of the relatively tedious process of the school application. For good high schools, you need to sit for PSAT, TOEFL and using agents are not popular nor meaningfully helpful. In addition, admission for both high schools and universities are on a holistic approach, good grades / good external exam results are no guarantee of admission. As such, it is not uncommon for some senior students ( grade 12) to apply  for more than 10-15 universities. Imagine, each universities requires you to write one to two or even three essays. ( topics are different for each university), so senior students are under great pressure.

Form other comments of the baby- kingdom, it seems to me that UK syatem puts a lot more emphasis on exam results. ( correct me if I am wrong). Thus admission is more predictable.

發表於 12-9-24 07:03 |顯示全部帖子
One reason might be family tradition. Being a part of the UK all the way till 1997, lots of families have been influenced by the british education system with lots of parents having studied there themselves so it is normal for them to send their kids to the UK too. On the other hand, although more people have been applying to the US in recent years, HK parents in general are not very familiar with the edu system in the US. All these uncertainties including safety issues with so many shootings lately could be reasons why US is not as popular a destination.
Jada

點評

martialartsmum  Hmmm, good point and I agree.  發表於 12-12-1 02:36

發表於 12-9-24 13:02 |顯示全部帖子
回復 JadaYuen 的帖子

"All these uncertainties including safety issues with so many shootings lately could be reasons why US is not as popular a destination."

I did not send my kids to US for high-school mainly because I am quite concerned about the "safety issues" and the long hour of flying to US (no matter in West or East Coast). Another reason is the high costs involved - between USD45,000 to USD60,000 per year.

發表於 12-9-24 15:00 |顯示全部帖子
All the shooting cases happened these 5/6 years (I don't know history longer than that period) happened in public schools.

I speak only for private schools. These schools are "very" strict in discipline, though "drugs" issues are not unheard of. And there are, from time to time, students are kicking out of school because of drug and disciplinary problems. My feeling is it is pretty like the case in the international schools in HK.

Most of the private schools that accept international students are boarding schools and normally more than 70% of students are boarding. It will be difficult for boarding students to access to weapons.

My advice is to pick the good high schools in the good location. - richer states, not so close to downtown. Except for very good public schools in safer locations, private high school is more preferable.

發表於 12-9-24 18:27 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

(1) How difficult is it to get into the "Ten Schools" such as Exeter, Andover, St. Paul etc.?

(2) How much does it cost annually?

(3) If one is not an American or not holding a green card, can be be admitted to a public school in the US?

(4) If so, how much does it cost annually?

發表於 12-9-24 20:59 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Dear Shootastar,
As you may be aware, my S studies in the States from grade 10 in a pretty good prep school. He is now in a University with national ranking between 20th to 30th. I have no experience of applying to public high schools in the States. But as far as I understand, public schools admission is first based on catchment areas. For instance, Boston Latin, will only accept students from the nearby areas only.

http://www.bls.org/podium/default.aspx?t=113645&rc=0

So good public schools have long queue of application for admission. And I don't think popular public schools will have places offering to international students.

Some agent's websites do say that some public schools accept international students but with small number of places. And there is student exchange programme for 15-18 year old students in public schools. Fees are low. Interested parties can check the websites of those agents.

As for top-rated private pre-schools, I personally know only 3 students studied there. All from international schools of HK. One to Deerfield, one Andover and one Exeter. They are all very smart students. How good they are then I don't know. For those who has intention to find out more can first go the the "boardingschoolreview" website to look for the basic data.

The steps I suggest are:

1) http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/?gclid=CP-349mezrICFUtT4god03AAtw
2) Then search for e.g Andover, you will have a profile of Philip Andover.
http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/5

From there you will know the admission of rate of the school  (14%) and the SSAT range (94% percentile).

3)If you want to have greater detail of the school, click into its website, "Visit school website". Go to "About Us" and then "Fast Facts". You will then have the latest update of the school information. (boardingschoolreview's data could be more than 1 year old), including tuition.(the tuition quoted by high school are inclusive of boarding fee. as opposite to college or university quotation where tuition fee and boarding fee are seperated).

4) For academic achievement., go the "Academics" ---> look for "college counselling ----> college placements / matriculations list. You will see what universities their students go to.

The website layout of most high schools or pre- schools are similar.

發表於 12-9-24 21:41 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing.

發表於 12-9-24 22:28 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 Yanamami 於 12-9-25 07:38 編輯
kkbbkk 發表於 12-9-24 20:59

"Some agent's websites do say that some public schools accept international students but with small number of places. And there is student exchange programme for 15-18 year old students in public schools. Fees are low. Interested parties can check the websites of those agents. "
I've just read an ad in the newspaper about exchange students to the States.

www.litzusa.com

發表於 12-9-24 23:58 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Yanamami 的帖子

Thanks for sharing.