用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 幼校討論 Tutor Time (Suffolk Rd) vs. Woodland (Sai Kung)
查看: 5326|回覆: 23
go

Tutor Time (Suffolk Rd) vs. Woodland (Sai Kung)

發表於 12-8-6 21:57 |顯示全部帖子
新手媽媽, 咩都唔識.  請問那間 比較好: Tutor Time (Suffolk Rd) vs. Woodland (Sai Kung)?  謝謝

發表於 12-8-8 09:43 |顯示全部帖子
woodland duno
but tutor time sufford is very good

發表於 12-8-9 00:39 |顯示全部帖子
回復 elytis 的帖子

Thx ar, elytis!
But can you elaborate a bit on Tutor Time (Suffolk Rd)?  It is good in terms of teacher, program content, future school allocation, or anything else?  Many many thanks!!  

發表於 12-8-9 10:31 |顯示全部帖子
good in terms of teacher: partially, some are good, tutors are experienced.
program content: good!  
future school allocation: not for local school but i think playgroup ok, KG more relate to primary sch,
or anything else: experienced and good hygiene and campus

發表於 12-8-9 13:09 |顯示全部帖子
wow, seems all positive wor!  good good!!  

xie xie!  

發表於 12-8-10 23:03 |顯示全部帖子
唔知有無人可以 comment 下 Woodland呢?  

同 Tutor Time 比較, 又邊間好D呢?  萬分感激

發表於 12-8-11 14:37 |顯示全部帖子
ekhc 發表於 12-8-10 23:03
唔知有無人可以 comment 下 Woodland呢?  

同 Tutor Time 比較, 又邊間好D呢?  萬分感激 ...

My daughters were students of Woodland before (but not Sai Kung campus). They started in Woodland since 18 months old until 4 years old. I picked this school because it's an English school and is adopting British National Curriculum (some branches adopt Montessori approach), plus the small class size and native English teachers.  My kids could soon be able to understand and speak English after attending their playgroup, then they were promoted to stepping stones, and finally the preschool program. Since Woodland have its long history and famous for its quality early childhood education, I'm very confident with their teachers and curriculum. There are also a lot of expat kids, the ratio of Chinese kids is much lower than other English preschools, as a result it's a real English school and provide a natural language environment, even for my kids, they could speak English without Chinese accent.  The school did train children's self-caring skills, they were very independent even at a young age.

I didn't have any experience with Tutor Time, but I know it's a bilingual school, with 50/50 English and Mandarin which I really appreciate, also, they are operating American styled preschools, while Woodland is British. For sure if you want your child to have equal exposure of English and Mandarin, most likely you'll pick Tutor Time since Woodland do not provide formal Mandarin lessons, the Mandarin teacher of Woodland will only come to your class 2 or 3 times a week to sing with the students or have some fun with them. They ratio of local students in Tutor Time will be higher I think, but I believe they could also speak fluent English and Mandarin.

In most cases if parents are aiming for local primary schools, they won't consider Woodland as their top priority since the Chinese standard is low, maybe some of them will join the playgroup and then transfer their children to local nursery or kindergarten for better preparation of P1.

It's difficult to compare these two schools since they both have their unique features and targeting students, one of the concerns is whether you think Chinese is important to you or your child, also the curriculum and teaching styles, whether British or American suits your needs, last but not least, check up their tuition fees. There are different criteria to determine whether a school is "good" or not, it's all depends on your expectations.

*The above is just my personal opinion.  

發表於 12-8-11 17:37 |顯示全部帖子
Wow, very detailed explanation!  Thx a lot, caramom!  U have pointed out what I am worrying ...  

Woodland is no doubt a good school.  Teachers (NET) are nice, and my gal loves to go to the playgroup.  As u said, it's conducted fully in English with some expat classmates.  Must be good to learn English

But, it may be hard to shift to local school.  As we are living in Sai Kung, the location is perfect     headache!!  

發表於 12-8-11 18:05 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 caramom 於 12-8-11 18:19 編輯

回復 ekhc 的帖子

Hi ekhc,
You're welcome, hope my information helps. Yes you're right, it's rather difficult for a child to shift from an English environment to a local primary school, especially Chinese is more difficult to learn than English, apart from language, teaching style is also totally different, in Woodland, they advocate "happy learning" and "learn through play", while most local schools are "duck-feeding" schools, children have to seat quietly and listen to teachers' saying, teachers may not like students to ask a lot of questions in class too, but in Woodland, teachers welcome any questions even if it's not related to the topic that they're learning. These are examples that the child has to modulate when changing schools.
I hope you could pick a school that suits your daughter eventually!

發表於 12-8-11 22:30 |顯示全部帖子
what language is using between you and your kid?
if it's cantonese, then i think it would be OK if you choose an Eng PG.

發表於 12-8-11 23:05 |顯示全部帖子
At home, my maid and I (mainly) talk to my gal in English, while papa, grandparents talk to her in Cantonese.

發表於 12-8-11 23:21 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 ekhc 於 12-8-11 23:24 編輯

回復 caramom 的帖子

Definitely, my gal is a naughty one!  She screams during class.  Any during circle time, when everyone is sitting quietly and listening to teacher, she is always standing.  She even once crawled to lift up the teacher's apron to see what's inside ... I'm afraid that she'll lift up the teacher's dress next time!!     
Not sure whether she fits Woodland's learning style!  On the contrary, I don't want to push my gal too much when she is so small, or else she'll afraid of learning!!

發表於 12-8-13 13:45 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 caramom 於 12-8-13 13:47 編輯
ekhc 發表於 12-8-11 23:21
回復 caramom 的帖子

Definitely, my gal is a naughty one!  She screams during class.  Any during cir ...

It sounds that your daughter is vivacious, maybe she'll be good at sports when she grows up!
Yes, you've pointed out an important thing, I didn't push my kids too much at a very young age because I believe they should enjoy playing during preschool but not sit quietly in the classroom and listen to teacher's order all day long, little kids learn even more when they play, they'll explore and investigate themselves, this can train their ability to learn independently, at the same time raise the child's interest to learn and become a life-long learner. To me I don't think playing is regarded as waste of time. It's never too late to start formal learning till primary school (5 years old), my kids didn't learn any writing until 4.5 years old, but the school focus more on their reading ability, they could read story books themsleves at about 3-3.5.

Woodland's teaching style will be more like "play-based", teachers encourage children to walk around the classroom and corridor, get along with other schoolmates, try to solve problems themselves (children will act as the leading role and the teachers will be guiding them to think of different possibilities or solutions).

My kids benefited a lot from this teaching style, though they seemed learned less than their classmates once they entered primary school, but I think my kids learn fast and could absorb deeply, they also extend what they've leanred to their daily lives, but not forget about everything after school. That's why preschool is very important to a child, it could change your child's whole life, what and how teachers teach will difinitely make a difference.

發表於 12-8-13 22:17 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 ekhc 於 12-8-13 22:18 編輯

回復 caramom 的帖子

haha, u think my gal is vivacious?!  u r very generous bor!!  

Really thank for your detailed analysis and comments!  After reading your comments, I am very confident to let my gal to stay in Woodland.  

Would you mind telling me which school you kids are studying at?  local school or international stream?

發表於 12-8-14 11:58 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ekhc 的帖子

Hi ekhc,
Please check Pm, thanks.

發表於 12-8-14 13:13 |顯示全部帖子
noted with thx

發表於 12-8-17 17:11 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Caramom, thank you very much for your detailed comment. I am also struggling which stream I should send my daugter. I send her to a montesorri school playgroup with theory similar to Woodland and encourage you play, explore. I like this school alot. At the same time, I send her to Victoria weekly and it is "sit and listen" style and do what teacher ask you to do, which is duck-feed. Even I like montesorri theory more, i think if i cannot afford to send her international school, at the end it is local and that may not work, as local loves baby sit and obey order. Headaching

發表於 12-8-17 17:16 |顯示全部帖子
I visited Tutor time playgroup before. Maybe most of babies are accompolished by the maid or grandparents, maids tend to group together chatting, the teacher is not around and the babies are just sitting still....so, do not enroll for that...

發表於 12-8-17 22:41 |顯示全部帖子
Seems that there are fewer comments on Woodland, but all of them are +ve ones!

On the other hand, there are more feedback on TT, which include both +ve and -ve ones ...

發表於 12-8-18 17:53 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 caramom 於 12-8-20 17:28 編輯
mamaokasan 發表於 12-8-17 17:11
Dear Caramom, thank you very much for your detailed comment. I am also struggling which stream I sho ...

Hi mamaokasan,
My edlest kid went to Woodland Peak, then my 2nd and 3rd kids went to Beachside. I didn't pick the Montessori approach at the very beginning as I'm not really familiar with that, at the end they attended the traditional Woodland school which is adopting British National Curriculum.

Yes you're right, no local schools use Montessori until now, unless you plan to send your daughter to a Montessori primary school (eg: International Montessori School), otherwise, if she already get use to the Montessori learning method, it's rather difficult for her to shift back to a local primary school. I knew parents from Woodland Repulse Bay Montessori, some of them sent their kids to normal international primary schools after preschool, it seemed they didn't have much problem to adapt, maybe the teaching style of IS is more similar to Montessori which encourage children to explore by themselves and investigate everything around them.

If you plan not to send your daughter to IS, some local private schools such as CKY offer a different learning experience than traditional local schools, students will take IGCSE and IB DP at high school level (same as ESF) but not HKDSE. It is one of the local schools that provides different curriculum and learning approach.