密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 不打算把女兒放洋, 應該讀國際學校嗎?
樓主: 9284
go

不打算把女兒放洋, 應該讀國際學校嗎?

發表於 11-12-12 10:23 |顯示全部帖子

Three Programmes of IB

It's good to follow the same learning approach from early years.  Hence, I guess no one would refute the notion that a kid is likely to benefit the most from the IB methodology from MYP (or even PYP) up to DP.  But there are two factors worth-noting.

First, the DP is the first and most popular (read: recognised) of the three developed by IBO to help prepare students in an increasingly globalised world.  In essence, it has been trying with considerable success to do away with the local exam systems, eg, the US, UK, or the European ones, for students to apply for universities around the world.  One key consideration: The student needs not (in most cases) sit different exams even if s/he is eyeing on universities in different countries or continents.  Not surprisingly, it has proved a success with international schools early on.  

Second, there aren't many schools who offer another programme in addition to the DP.  There are 4065 programmes on offer: 2292 DP, 857 PYP and 916 MYP.  I guess the numbers tell something about the school decisions.  Far as I know, there are many grammar schools in the UK and private schools in the US and Australia who only offer DP.

As to the necessity of a student taking MYP or PYP before proceeding to the DP, take LPC as an example, one of the more successful IB schools in HK.  I doubt they would really require students (local or overseas) to take PYP or MYP for admission.

One can easily argue that it's no good for a school to provide ONLY the DP but not the other two.  Well, IB is not really the best for all but it suits those with that kind of learner profile and meets the needs of some who do not wish to confine themselves to the local system.  And the DP in essence is to prepare the student for further studies in the university.  Consider this statement re a student enrolling in a bachelor's programme in BA or engineering: He is not up to it as he is not IB-trained.  For or against?

發表於 11-12-12 10:57 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 11-12-12 11:12 |顯示全部帖子

回復 20# papa_pop 的帖子

papa_pop

Long time no see.......

Personally, I agreed with your factor one, as I know HKDSE will struggle for some years before getting real "international recognization". If I want to prepare my son for different destinations for post-secondary education, IB is the best option at this point.

For factor two,we may also need to consider other elements. Your numbers represent some phenomenon in those countries, but we also bear in mind, in USA, even you have IBDP results, you still need to have SAT results and some students also have AP; the same in UK, GCSE also a very basic requirement in public and private schools (ESF follow the same pattern).

For LPC is not a good example, as it's not the same case in your and my kid's school. They used HKCEE exam results + Chalenge Day + Interview to recruit right students for IBDP. No more HKCEE, LPC replaced HKCEE with an appitude test. They screened the applicants and picked the "best fit" (not the best). The same in some DSS schools in HK like SPCC and DBS. In your son's school may assume all kids are fit for IBDP.

In previous post, I stated my stand on the 3 programs. The Pre-IB or bridging program serves two roles in HK situation.
1. In NSS, the senior high has three years, but IBDP only last for two years. For the continuity, the Pre-IB (MYP) can optimise the three years duration;
2. The teaching and learning methods of IBDP have a gap cf NSS, the additional year can help the students to adapt the new methodologies.

In your conclusion, I also agreed. No single system fits all, as parents we need to be open and sensible to select a right program for our dear children.

ANChan59
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 11-12-12 11:15 |顯示全部帖子

回復 21# Annie123 的帖子

papa_pop is pretty open-minded and knowledgeable in IB system, no need to worry.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 11-12-12 12:27 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽