密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Singapore International School
樓主: meatloaf
go

Singapore International School [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 11-12-6 14:36 |只看該作者
does anyone know the university placement of SIS, particularly the historical record in the last two years? just can not find such info from the school website. thanks.

42#
發表於 11-12-6 15:54 |只看該作者
原帖由 milesxiehk 於 11-12-6 14:36 發表
does anyone know the university placement of SIS, particularly the historical record in the last two years? just can not find such info from the school website. thanks.

University placement of SIS in the last two year---0.

No student has been admitted to university directly after leaving SIS in history. I believe!

43#
發表於 11-12-6 22:40 |只看該作者
有冇小朋友讀到三四年班開始覺得太難, 讀唔上而走?  我有聽過, 但係都係朋友嘅朋友, 所以希望有家長分享下.

44#
發表於 11-12-6 22:42 |只看該作者
Yes, Presentation training is important and it is more effective if children get training since they are small. Can you share more about how SIS train their presentation skills?

45#
發表於 11-12-7 07:47 |只看該作者
hi friendlyguy,

i dont know much re SIS, and i did not get what you said. is it true that no SIS graduate get admitted to universities directly upon their leaving SIS? what's reason behind? thanks.

原帖由 friendlyguy 於 11-12-6 15:54 發表

University placement of SIS in the last two year---0.

No student has been admitted to university directly after leaving SIS in history. I believe!

46#
發表於 11-12-7 09:52 |只看該作者

回復 45# milesxiehk 的帖子

SIS only started the secondary school section a few years back.  I believe the first batch of IB students shall graduate in 2013.  Hence no university placement record yet.

47#
發表於 11-12-7 10:32 |只看該作者

回復 43# elmostoney 的帖子

Mine left a few years ago after Y4/5.  Unlike other IS, a fair number of students leave because the works, exams and tests etc. are too demanding and the workloads too heavy.  This is so especially when one get to higher grades.  These students or their parents find it hard to handle the difficult works, the heavy workloads as well as the exams and tests.  Hence they leave.  But kids do have different abilities.  Some do not have these problems and in fact I heard one who found it too easy in Y6.

[ 本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 11-12-7 10:40 編輯 ]

48#
發表於 11-12-7 13:31 |只看該作者
thank you, bobbycheung. appreciate your answer which is clear and helpful.

原帖由 bobbycheung 於 11-12-7 09:52 發表
SIS only started the secondary school section a few years back.  I believe the first batch of IB students shall graduate in 2013.  Hence no university placement record yet.

49#
發表於 11-12-7 14:10 |只看該作者
Thanks bobbycheung

Really...because of too much homework and tests in Primary school (from Y3/4 onwords)?

Where did those students go then, overseas or other IS in HK?

Would you mind telling us the reason for your child to leave at Primary 4...not wait till finishing Primary 6 at least?   BTW, SIS secondary school has not been formed at the time, right?

Any students left because of discipline as the Singapore discipline standard may be quite high?

Thank you

原帖由 bobbycheung 於 11-12-7 10:32 發表
Mine left a few years ago after Y4/5.  Unlike other IS, a fair number of students leave because the works, exams and tests etc. are too demanding and the workloads too heavy.  This is so especially wh ...

50#
發表於 11-12-7 15:36 |只看該作者
I can't really speak for the others and I am not sure if things have changed a lot in the last 3/4 years.  I hope others will correct me if I am wrong.  In my case, we sort of felt the pressure as we progressed up the levels.  Workloads were increasing quickly year by year and the stuff they learned at school were in my view quite difficult and definitely far in advance of those you would find in other IS.  Looking ahead, we could envisaged that the kids would find it hard to handle as the workloads would only get heavier.  So it's not really a question of Y3/4.  It's a question of whether we would stay until the end of secondary school as we know the latter we make a move, the more difficult it would be to find a seat elsewhere.  Most of the people I know went to other IS in HK.  Don't get me wrong though.  SIS is a very good school.  It will give your kids a solid foundation.  I am forever grateful to the school and the teachers there.  As I said, every kid is different.  Mine found it hard to handle but yours may thrive.  Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the discipline issue unless the kid is exceptionally naughty (and most aren't).

51#
發表於 11-12-7 15:50 |只看該作者
thanks for sharing, babbycheung.

i also heard a case from a friend: a kid dropped from SIS, largely due to work load issue (similar to babbycheung) while luckily enough to switch to ESF.

but, i guess it will become more difficult to get into other IS once dropping from SIS, given the rising competition for IS nowadays~

原帖由 Annieboy 於 11-12-7 14:10 發表
Thanks bobbycheung

Really...because of too much homework and tests in Primary school (from Y3/4 onwords)?

Where did those students go then, overseas or other IS in HK?

Would you mind telling us t ...

52#
發表於 11-12-7 22:06 |只看該作者
Dear All,

I am a P4 student in SIS. In all my years in SIS, I have never experienced actual hard workloads. I have 考查 for every 四课 and 越重洋(听写)差不多每个星期五。 SIS 是一个很好的学校因为可以学英文, 华文, 数学和科学. 我的 workload 不是很多, 我觉得不辛苦。My homework does not take long-usually about 30 minutes to 1 hour, and I still have time for Co-Curricular Activities, computer games, extracurricular activities (calligraphy), reading, eating snacks, going on an online course, sleeping, doing a few projects, watching TV occasionally, boring my classmates to sleep with lectures, and writing boring, long, dull, nonsensical and unhelpful messages like this one. However, some of my classmates do not feel the same about the lessons (especially Chinese). I even had a classmate decide to leave school because she wanted to escape from Chinese. At least my classmates do not protest at the workload anymore. They did so last year. I think they are getting used to it. In my opinion, those protests were wrong because they were protesting at only a small amount of work and homework is an essential part of learning.

Sorry for being boring, dull, nonsensical and unhelpful. (There I go again.)

Compsognathus

53#
發表於 11-12-8 01:07 |只看該作者
Dear Compsognathus,

It's nice of you to share with us your experience.  I am glad to hear that you are happy and thriving at SIS.

Bobby

原帖由 compsognathus 於 11-12-7 22:06 發表
Dear All,

I am a P4 student in SIS. In all my years in SIS, I have never experienced actual hard workloads. I have 考查 for every 四课 and 越重洋(听写)差不多每个星期五。 SIS 是一个很好的学校因为可以学 ...

54#
發表於 11-12-8 08:51 |只看該作者
What a good boy comp... Bother to use a simplier name?!

55#
發表於 11-12-8 12:13 |只看該作者
Dear Compsognathus,

Thanks for the very useful advice and sharing.  I can tell from your note that you're enjoying your school life.  I would be very happy if my boy could go to SIS and express his own views like how you did when he is at your age.  Your parents should definitely be very proud of you.  Keep it up!

[ 本帖最後由 Ann0805 於 11-12-8 12:19 編輯 ]

56#
發表於 11-12-8 13:23 |只看該作者
Compsognathus,

I m suprised that u can write this passage at your age !  So mature in terms of language proficiency and thinking.  Probably better than some u-graduates from local schools.

57#
發表於 11-12-8 13:52 |只看該作者
very impressive message from Compsognathus. will seriously consider SIS for my kid next year. thanks, Compsognathus.

besides, i still get 2 questions:
(1) about IB
it seems SIS only has IB for DP program (no PYP & MYP), while Victoria Shanghai Academy
and ESF both have DP/FYP/MYP 3 programs. anyone could explain?
pls refer the link:
http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?programmes=&country=HK&region=&find_schools=Find

(2) about university placement
as SIS just started the secondary a few years back, there is no track record on university placement. how would it impact university placement given its new name?

anyone would share thoughts? thanks.  

原帖由 MewB 於 11-12-8 13:23 發表
Compsognathus,

I m suprised that u can write this passage at your age !  So mature in terms of language proficiency and thinking.  Probably better than some u-graduates from local schools.

58#
發表於 11-12-8 14:04 |只看該作者
Some of the best schools do IBDP only: LPCWC, Sevenoaks, N London Collegiate, Abbey in Reading, just to name a few.

59#
發表於 11-12-8 17:50 |只看該作者
That why I have written some where in this forum that an SIS's P5 student's English standard (though Comp is still P4) is better than a university graduate in HK.

60#
發表於 11-12-9 15:45 |只看該作者
原帖由 milesxiehk 於 11-12-8 13:52 發表
very impressive message from Compsognathus. will seriously consider SIS for my kid next year. thanks, Compsognathus.

besides, i still get 2 questions:
(1) about IB
it seems SIS only has IB for DP pr ...

Re (1).  Your understanding is correct.  But then, VSA also doesn't have any "real" track record yet on university admission, as the first batch of students who studied in VSA from kindergarten would only graduate in a few years' time.  

(2) True.  Certainly, the school is less reputable than established names like ESF, CIS.  But so long as you feel comfortable with the overall standard, it should be fine.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題