用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 Study in USA
樓主: Flying-Man
go

Study in USA

發表於 12-5-6 17:29 |顯示全部帖子
indeed, I will get him some pass papers and have start looking at them to at least have an idea of how the exam is

發表於 12-5-7 00:32 |顯示全部帖子
回復 mugtaitai 的帖子

Hi mugtaita

It's very hard for my kid to prepare for the SAT and his internal school homework/ exam at the same time.  

Do you have this problem?  Thanks

發表於 12-5-8 08:36 |顯示全部帖子
Hi bugsmummy,

My son hasn't started any SAT preparation yet but from what I have observed, he doesn't have very heavy workload at school. He has a lot of free time everyday after his finishes his homework so I am guessing (and hoping) it won't be too much of a problem preparing for the SAT

發表於 12-5-8 12:46 |顯示全部帖子
luckily your son don't have heavy workload......my daughter has extremely heavy workload every day monday to sunday

發表於 12-5-8 15:19 |顯示全部帖子
My kid's experience was:
1) SAT is equally important as School GPA and it is difficult for HK students from local schools to obtain high marks unless you go to the US from at least Grade 10 or earlier.
2) There is advantage to be a US citizen in applying for University
- you are entitled to need-blind financial aids. whereas overseas students are qualified almost only for merit-based financial aids.
3) Some famous universities (at least MIT definitely) do not accept overseas students to apply for ED (early decision). That means, the first round of admission are restricted to US citizen. The college counsellor will advise foreign students to apply for more universities as they all know that for the same calibre, US students will have higher chance to be accepted. (Diveristy is a factor but may not that important unless you are ethnic minorities, ie. those from African, Thailand, Vietnam. HK and Mainlanders are of no advantages at all.

發表於 12-5-8 16:51 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks kkbbkk. Those are very good insights.

My son currently goes to an international school in HK so he's basically ok with English, although may not be as native as Americans.

I didn't realize US citizens have advantage over international students even for private universities. I thought only state universities needed to give priority to local residents. What about US citizens applying from overseas? Do they also get the priority?

發表於 12-5-8 16:53 |顯示全部帖子
I had my son studied in the US for high school at North Broward Florida and the other daughter at Taxes high school call "The village". Since you can only study private high school in US if you are not citizen so the tuition fee is higher than local. Taxes expenses seem cheaper than Florida. But they studied few years ago so not sure if the tuition is the same now. Here is the agent that sent them both to high school for your reference

http://www.litzusa.com/GBK/progr ... Id=421&MenuID=6

Good luck!

發表於 12-5-14 21:24 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Mugtaitai,

I think (not sure) universities will treat on-shore and off-shore US citizens equally.

發表於 12-5-15 19:20 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks kkbbkk. That's good to know

發表於 13-4-27 13:14 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks a lot.

發表於 13-4-29 16:37 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Plan+to+send+2+kids+to+study+in+USA+a+fe

原帖由 Flying-Man 於 11-09-30 發表
Plan to send 2 kids to study in USA a few years later. One is now in P.4 and the other is in P.2. Pa ...
Public schools are free in New Jersey and some other states for sure. If you don't want to pay tuition, you can choose public schools but quality varies.

http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=group&fid=5927

發表於 13-6-22 11:33 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Flying-Man 的帖子

Medical is a very expensive in US, we usually never go see a doctor unless its really serious sickness.  If you got cold or flu, just go to drugstore and buy non prescription medicine.I recommend you get health insurance for yourself and your kids, as you are not US citizen, you are not eligible for government's medicare.  but health insurance are very pricing and they dont cover a lot.
If you are in area that a lot of Chinese, some doctor will charge a cheaper fee if you go see them in a clinic with n insurance, but probably need local friends to refer as they don't advertise to say they take cash with no insurance

發表於 13-6-26 05:18 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 Dauntlessff 於 13-6-26 05:20 編輯
Obiepapa 發表於 13-4-29 16:37
Public schools are free in New Jersey and some other states for sure. If you don't want to pay tuiti ...

The right to education for a person living in the US is guaranteed by US Constitution and subsequent court rulings. It is illegal for any state in the US to deny public education to a minor based on his race or immigration status. "Education" here is interpreted as K-9 (Kindergarten to 9th grade) and in general, high school education as well.

In all 50 states in the US, local education board can only require proof that a child resides in that school district boundary. They cannot request proof of legal residency (green card) or citizenship.

發表於 14-4-24 12:58 |顯示全部帖子
This site is excellent. My girls will study in LA soon. I am looking for good high shcools now. Do you have any idea which cities in LA couty have good high shcools?
I would like to have more insurance info. shouls you guys have it.

THanks!