密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Strange phenomenon in IS
發新帖
查看: 2375|回覆: 9
go

Strange phenomenon in IS

發表於 11-8-20 01:16 |顯示全部帖子
My son just entered year 1 of an international school.  On the registration day, we found that there were only a few (less than 5) westerner kids joining the school this year.  In fact, it looks more like a local school than an IS!  The worse thing is that, though the children speak English in the campus, they switch back to Cantonese once they get on the school bus.  I'm so surprised about this as I thought the peer language should be English in IS.
Is this the same in your son/daughter's school?

發表於 11-8-20 09:44 |顯示全部帖子
Whick IS are you in?

發表於 11-8-20 12:33 |顯示全部帖子
i want to know which IS too! as i know this happens as some students are from local kinders ( i mean not real internatinal kinders) such as SC or victoria which their core language is cantonese.  i guess this may improve when they promote to Year 2 or onwards when they get used to the main medium of communication.

發表於 11-8-20 17:13 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# luplup 的文章

這間是pis private independent school 吧!?

發表於 11-8-21 15:39 |顯示全部帖子
I am also wondering which IS you are talking about.  No doubt there arent many western kids in many ISs but I seldom hear my child talk to her school friends in Cantonese.  Even when I talk to her in Cantonese in the school, she wl answer me in English.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

發表於 11-8-21 21:13 |顯示全部帖子
樓主在其他 post 話佢小朋友讀 ICS

發表於 11-8-21 22:26 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks Cara2006 for answering on my behalf.   Yes, I'm talking about ICS.

Suzanlai, I do hope that the situation would improve when he promote to higher grades.  However, the kids on my son's school bus ranges from P1 to G5, and I heard them talk to each other in Cantonese, including lower grade and higher grade students...

Mighty, your mean your child would talk to each other in English even they are not in school?

發表於 11-8-22 00:30 |顯示全部帖子
i have quite some friends' kids who are also in IS have different aspect.  you know kids distinguish friends who prefer speaking cantonese and who prefer speaking english.  they can switch in a second! during a lunch with my friend's kid, funny enough he is talking to me in cantonese and talking to his mom in english, and then talking to another friend in mandarin! to be frank, if your kid's best friends is speaking to him in cantonese, then he will tend to do the same.  but no worries, as there are lots of chances to practise english in IS.  they can improve the fluency easily at their age.  at least your kid is lucky enough to get in a through train IS.

發表於 11-8-22 08:20 |顯示全部帖子
suzanlai, thanks for your sharing.

發表於 11-8-22 16:09 |顯示全部帖子
Hi luplup
I am quite surprised that kids in ICS speak Cantonese to each other most of the time?
As someone has said, I think it really depends on what friends your child make.  Peer pressure will make them speak the 'acceptable' language.
It doesnt matter if your child speaks Cantonese most of time.  As long as he/she can express himself well in English (if that is what you want), then it is ok.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!