go

Study in Canada

發表於 11-8-1 15:06 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 hellokids 於 12-7-19 10:21 編輯

Thanks for sharing

發表於 11-8-1 16:23 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 hellokids 於 11-8-1 15:06 發表
Background:
- Kid was born in HK with Canadian citizenship card issued by Canadian Consulate in HK
- Dad is Canadian but not mom
- plan to have the kid go Canada studying secondary school about the ag ...

Hi,

It seems that your case is much the same as mine. However in my case, I am Canadian but not his father.

My son is going back to Canada this coming September for study. As I was informed, he can go as late as end of August, as long as you have a place to stay and then go to the Education bureau (in your house neighbourhood) and register him there, then he can start his study in September in a nearby public school, free of charge. The catch is I have to stay with him as his guardian (since he is still underage and needs a guardian). Besides, I need to be a returning citizen (that's means I have to pay tax) and work there.

In your case, you are not Canadian. It is a bit different. If you want to apply for the Canadian citizenship, I think your husband has to gobackto Canada and work there, meanwhile acts as the guardian for your son, then apply you as the family reunion case to be a Canadian.

Hope this helps.

發表於 11-8-2 09:17 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# leeamy 的帖子

本帖最後由 hellokids 於 12-7-19 10:26 編輯

Thank you!

發表於 11-8-2 09:24 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# hellokids 的帖子

I am not so sure, but why not?? You are her mother, but you are a visitor status only..

Where in Canada do you want to stay? and how old is your girl?? Maybe we can see each other when we are far away from our husband.

發表於 11-8-2 09:32 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# leeamy 的文章

本帖最後由 hellokids 於 12-7-19 10:27 編輯

Many thanks!

發表於 11-8-2 09:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 hellokids 於 11-8-2 09:32 發表
My girl's only 9 this year & it still has a few years to go.  Just want to get some info first so that we can have a well plan!

When you arrive, the first thing is to apply health card within your province, like OHIP in Toronto, or Health Care in Vancouver. Since health insurance is a must for residents. I think both you and your daughter need to apply, but if you are not resident, then is there a difference???

Next you should apply for her is the SIN card,
it is good for identification, for bank account opening, etc.

Maybe you need to have a better discussion with your husband.

發表於 11-8-2 15:00 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# leeamy 的帖子

leeamy,

Thanks for the info! Stay in touch!:)

發表於 11-8-2 15:00 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# leeamy 的帖子

leeamy,

Thanks for the info! Stay in touch!:)

發表於 11-8-6 14:45 |顯示全部帖子
leeamy, when u will arrived in Vancouver.
U will live in Vtoria Island or Vacouver!?

發表於 11-8-7 15:09 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 chuchu-fighting 於 11-8-6 14:45 發表
leeamy, when u will arrived in Vancouver.
U will live in Vtoria Island or Vacouver!?

Don't know yet, but I have an auntie in Vancouver

發表於 11-8-8 13:31 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 11-8-8 16:38 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 hellokids 於 12-7-19 10:28 編輯

Thank you

發表於 11-8-9 10:43 |顯示全部帖子
My daughter went to study in Vancouver 3 years ago when she finish her F3. She went to a private school which need to pay the school fee but not as such as an international student. I think picking a school is very important. You can check the school ranging as a reference. But school with high ranging usually has a lot a lot of |Chinese. If the kids speaking english is not strong enough is will be hard for them to improve.

發表於 11-8-9 11:15 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 11-8-11 07:14 |顯示全部帖子
I just came back from Toronto, bringing my niece there to study as her parents are busy and I used to study there.
1.I just found that applying SIN card is not a must, my niece can open bank account there without it.
2. If you are not permanent resident, you are not able to apply the local health care plan such as UHIP. You need to buy health insurance by yourself(normally school can give you advice). It's better to do that as medical for non-resident is very experience.
3.Be careful when you choose school. I helped my niece to choose a private one. I used to take this path 10 years ago and it's faster to get in university. However, too many marketing and some o them are misleading...so just be careful.
All the best,
peggy.

發表於 11-8-12 01:13 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Peggy,
Pls check pm.   Thanks

發表於 11-8-15 13:35 |顯示全部帖子
有事請教. 小囡age3 ,今年讀k1.  妹妹及妹夫是加藉. 他們計劃十年後回流返加拿大住. 想問下. 我囡囡如果在中二後離港,到加拿大讀書. 學費大約幾多$$. 我不是加藉. 如想陪囡囡在當地讀書. 最長居留可多少日.
非常感謝.

發表於 11-8-21 10:03 |顯示全部帖子
If kids go back to Canada to study, parents accompany them will have to file income tax as resident.  Someone said that even the resident mother has no income and the father who has income is a non-resident, they still need to pay tax based on the father's income, isn't this true?  Anyone knows?

發表於 11-8-23 10:04 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 18# WYmom 的文章

Q: Father who has income is a non-resident, still need to pay tax based on the father's income.
A: I don't think so.  However, you may consult an accountant who knows Canadian taxation system well.

發表於 11-8-23 15:48 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 WYmom 於 11-8-21 10:03 發表
Someone said that even the resident mother has no income and the father who has income is a non-resident, they still need to pay tax based on the father's income, isn't this true?

You know a Canadian citizen may declare for non-residency for tax purposes.  If he resumes his ties in Canada, I think he should file the income earned in HK.  Better consult an accountant or tax lawyer to make sure.