用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Urgent please help :American International shcool or ...
發新帖
查看: 2927|回覆: 16
go

Urgent please help :American International shcool or CAIS

發表於 11-7-6 14:16 |顯示全部帖子
Hi All,

My 4.5 years old daughter got into k3/gr-junior class in these schools and we have to submit deposite in 2 days.

I really need your help in deciding about which one to choose.
Please can you give your comments on

1. The repute of these schools and any comments on the academics, quality of teachers and overall environment
2. Please if you know of some other factors.please also mention. CAIS is christian school and we arent christians but i will be a little careful so that my kid does not get affected by this.
3. i would ideally want my kid to esf but we werent able to get in this year. it terms of overall impression of the schools. which one shall I choose? especially for esf transfer
4. i know both schools dont follow IB but which curriculum do you think is better.

I dont read chinese and my friend helped me create this account. Please reply in english. I would really appreciate your help here

Many many Thanks!

發表於 11-7-6 17:53 |顯示全部帖子
I've no idea about CAIS, but I haven't heard many good things about AIS.

發表於 11-7-7 00:30 |顯示全部帖子
thanks a lot

pls can be elaborate a bit on the things you have heard about AIS. it will really help me make up my mind. some specific factors pls

and also, if anyone can help me give their views on CAIS, the academics, co-curricular activities and other factors, i will really appreciate the help

I have to make up my mind and pay the deposit on friday so your help will be very beneficial

thanks again

發表於 11-7-7 10:24 |顯示全部帖子
CAIS runs Canadian curriculum and it's a christian school.  Academically, I heard that they push the children quite a bit and want them to be academically strong.

發表於 11-7-7 11:15 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks a lot lottieclee.

I read somewhere here that the HW for junior classes is only for about 30 mins a day which I think is ok.

I actually would prefer the school to concentrate on the academics. Thanks for  information.
If you have some other info. of CAIS/AIS please share

Many thanks

發表於 11-7-7 12:21 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# rs2000 的文章

Please check your Private Message box.

發表於 11-7-7 14:22 |顯示全部帖子

回復 6# hoifai 的帖子

Could you PM me also? I want to get more information about that, please.

發表於 11-7-8 20:19 |顯示全部帖子
Hi All

please any more comments on the two schools. looks like we have got another day extension.

From what I can see on the forum, CAIS is better but I dont know why that is the case? is it the general perception or some specific stuff?

many many thanks!

發表於 11-7-8 23:35 |顯示全部帖子
Have not heard of anything good on American International.  Have you waited outside the school and see the behaviour of the kids?  (of course I don't mean the reception class)

發表於 11-7-8 23:52 |顯示全部帖子
有朋友 (外藉) 多年前來香港,比兩個女讀過 AMERICAN IS 半年,佢話好處係 D 老師/STAFF 算幾友善,兩個女適應得好好,不過課程較鬆散,水平亦比美國個邊差少少,後來佢地轉校了。
CAIS 係 ONTARIO 學制,佢地水平叫做 KEEP 返加拿大個邊,不過學校本身唔算係一線學校。
如果要二選一,就一定係選 CAIS。

發表於 11-7-11 10:03 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Nintendo

please can you write in english please. I cant read chinese. I tried using online translation but its just does not work very well :)

發表於 11-7-11 10:53 |顯示全部帖子
According to a friend who moved from the US to Hong Kong a few years ago, AIS seems to be a friendly school. Her 2 daughters went to AIS for around half a year and fitted in well. However, she was of the opinion that the curriculum/teaching was a bit loose and the standard was (she felt) not up to the standard back in the US. The 2 children moved to another school later.

CAIS is using Ontario curriculum and they seem to be keeping up to the standard better.

I am speaking from the point of view regarding the curriculum. Unfortunately, both of these schools are not top tier school and can seldom attract top/capable students.

If I have to choose from these 2 schools I will choose CAIS.

發表於 11-7-11 16:30 |顯示全部帖子
ok thanks a lot!

appreciate your input. we have also selected CAIS for now.
My daughter could not get into ESF and we had not applied anywhere else.
We were left in a bad situation and just had limited choices then.

for someone who cant afford big budget school (<100k per annum is preffered). which schools would you suggest (the top tier schools you mentioned)?
I have been looking to Po Leung Kuk Cameos . we will apply there for next year P1. I know its a local school but they offer english & french stream. Is it considered good? how is the repute? is it very difficult for non-chinese speaking kids to get in there?
i have also heard about st. margaret ? any view about that?

Thanks again!

發表於 11-7-11 16:52 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 rs2000 於 11-7-11 16:30 發表
ok thanks a lot!

appreciate your input. we have also selected CAIS for now.
My daughter could not get into ESF and we had not applied anywhere else.
We were left in a bad situation and just had limi ...

ESF normally put children on waiting list so who knows? May be you will get a call in a few months' time.
Another good choice is RCHK in Ma On Shan. They are a private independent school managed by the ESF. I know that they "unofficially" give priority to non-local students.
Try also ICS in Shek Mun. It is also a private independent school which I know is quite good.
Both of these schools also have long waiting lists.
In any case, CAIS is I believe a decent choice. It is not one of the top tier schools and it is true that many people would initially consider it a stepping stone to other top tier international schools. But most eventually stayed because they like it so much.
Good luck.

發表於 11-7-12 10:02 |顯示全部帖子

回復 2# rs2000 的帖子

Have you considered Anfield in Tai Wai? The coming school year is their first year running primary school. It has done a good job in running the kindergarten. Since the primary school is new, you may call to see if any space is available there.
Also, I heard from a friend whose kids are studying in St. Magaret that they love the school. Plenty of activities time for kids during the day. They are both in elementary grades and from traditional local kindergartens. So, Chinese is not a problem for them.
Hope it helps!

[ 本帖最後由 JTmom 於 11-7-12 10:12 編輯 ]

發表於 11-8-21 00:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# rs2000 的文章

I left the school immediately after joined the CAIS for two months because their academic, teachers, students even their Principal also not good.

發表於 11-8-23 14:23 |顯示全部帖子
mattmame, would you please tell us more about your unpleasant experience in CAIS? I was consdering ICS but worries that my son won't be accepted (heard that they are quite concerned about the academic performance... so I don't wanna let my son to enter a competitive school with a hat of "international school" only...
I'm recently looking for any good IS which have core values to teach students the Christian beliefs... anyhow I think it's more important to let my child grow up at a place teaching in God's word is the most important thing.