21#
發表於 11-7-8 09:36 |只看該作者
當年西方列強爭回來的值民地........英國和美國最多,跟住是法國......所以都有好多法國以外的地方講法語。

原帖由 vivicui 於 11-7-7 23:29 發表
当年英语为什么会变成全球语言?

22#
發表於 11-7-8 10:02 |只看該作者
This is my personal experience.

We talked to my son in both English and Cantonese when my son was a baby, then he got language confusion so speech therapist asked us to stick at one language first.
Therefore, I picked English as the maid can only speak English to him anyway.
(Well, my husband is a British born + I have lived in US for many yrs, so hopefully, our English standard is above average).

After a few months, he can speak well and interview K1 with English.
When he started PN in last Sept, he was able to understand Cantonese but unable to speak it and now he can talk in Cantonese without any problem.

Now, my maid and I speak to my son in English and my husband and grandparents speak to him in Cantonese.
I really want him to be bi/trilingual.
No doubt that need to start learning a language early but how early and how to inspire the kids to like it is an art and need a lot of effort.
Now, I am also introducing Mandarin to my son.

Btw, I couldn't speak Cantonese before 2 yrs old (spoke chiu chow hua at home ) but I
picked up Cantonese quickly in school after attending PN/K1.
I believe learning Cantonese is not hard, but learning proper written Chinese is hard.

23#
發表於 11-7-8 22:38 |只看該作者
We chose to speak only Cantonese at home but we picked schools that emphasized English and PTH teaching.

This is what we get:

狐假虎威 Audios in PTH & Eng

[My boy (almost 8) watched a cartoon on 狐假虎威 and we asked him to retell it in PTH and English. No rehearsals or writing up before.]

Kids who only speak Cantonese at home can also have good tri-lingual development.

24#
發表於 11-7-9 22:32 |只看該作者
My husband and I speak Cantonese to each other, but speak English to our son.

In the beginning, my husband wanted to try to speak Cantonese to our son and I speak English to him then hopefully he can be fluent in both languages, However, we ended up switched to English only. The reason is mainly because that our maids speak English and PH at home. We are afraid that he would be confused with the 3 languages thus we decided to talk to him in English.

I am not too worry about the Cantonese part as he will be able to pick up soon frmo the school (He is 2.5 years old now).

原帖由 rai_fc 於 11-7-8 10:02 發表
This is my personal experience.

We talked to my son in both English and Cantonese when my son was a baby, then he got language confusion so speech therapist asked us to stick at one language first.

25#
發表於 11-7-10 09:56 |只看該作者
如果唔係在英語環境長大,就唔好主要用英文同小朋友溝通,我發覺好多又中又英(父中母英or VS)的小朋友都唔多說話(一個小朋友應該什麼都說一餐)用來用去這些詞語,大人聽小朋友說英文,好似好勁,其實同D真係鬼仔鬼妹比,中國小朋友的英文真係好水皮,相反,在屋村的只說廣東話大的小朋友就碟碟不休,口水多過茶!!精靈活潑!!!
我們沒有在童年英文環境長大,小朋友在我們身上學的英文都是大人用語,文書上的用字,搞到佢地英文形容詞單調悶旦,說話不多,直接影響思維(對日後有深遠的影響呢)
我的父母唔識英文,同我的小朋友溝通好好,他們用廣東話直接玩耍,反而那些以英語為主的小朋友同祖父母好似有隔膜咁,距離好遠
另外,我見到有些用英文回答呢個topic的朋友的英文好好笑,你們自己看一看...是中文英語來的!!!  你下一代的英語會是這樣吧?還堅持用英語和小朋友溝通嗎?

[ 本帖最後由 anteater 於 11-7-10 10:03 編輯 ]

26#
發表於 11-7-10 15:14 |只看該作者
原帖由 anteater 於 11-7-10 09:56 發表
如果唔係在英語環境長大,就唔好主要用英文同小朋友溝通,我發覺好多又中又英(父中母英or VS)的小朋友都唔多說話(一個小朋友應該什麼都說一餐)用來用去這些詞語,大人聽小朋友說英文,好似好勁,其實同D真係鬼仔鬼妹比,中 ...

Totally agree.  Sorry, I would like to use Chinese to reply but my Chinese typing is extremely slow.  I use only Chinese (of course, some English vocab from time to time) to my 20 mths old.  I struggled with use of Chi/Eng before my gal was born.  Finally I decided to use only Chi but place her in English playgroup with native speaker.  I consider I can communicate well in English as I work with a lot of Native English bosses/colleagues and studied in overseas for 5 years.

Main reason I choose Chi is no matter how good my English is, my Eng level is only FUNCTIONAL and when it comes to express feeling, Chi would be the best medium for me.  Express my in depth feeling and let her understand me is far more important than if she is a good speaker in English or not.

Also I want my gal to be competitive too but I think she first needs to manage her mother tongue.  I have some foreigner friends can manage multi-languages not because they have parents talking to them at young age with multi-languages but learnt those at school with chance to practice (e.g. some traveled to China/Europe for a summer/semester to learn).

Just my 2 cents.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題