密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Ballet school in English
發新帖
查看: 4671|回覆: 9
go

Ballet school in English

發表於 10-10-26 23:36 |顯示全部帖子
Any Ballet school in English? Preferrable Kowloon side. Thanks.

發表於 10-10-27 02:27 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 10-10-27 05:19 |顯示全部帖子
Have you tried Kids Gallery?

發表於 10-10-27 11:25 |顯示全部帖子

Southern School of Dance

http://www.southernschoolofdance.com.hk/

發表於 10-10-27 11:43 |顯示全部帖子
My girl had attended a class teached in English before, it is located at Waterloo Road. You can pm me if you want more details.

原帖由 rach_mama 於 10-10-26 23:36 發表
Any Ballet school in English? Preferrable Kowloon side. Thanks.

發表於 10-10-27 21:59 |顯示全部帖子
Actually, there are a few ballet schools in Hong Kong that are founded by non-Chinese and the classes are conducted in English. Like the one mentioned above, Southern School of Dance. They got their own studio in Sai Kung and Wong Chuk Hung, and they also have teaching venues at different clubs in Hong Kong.

Another ballet school is Glenda Allen School of Dance (or something like this). The classes are conducted in HKIS and Redhill clubhouse.

Island Dance is a well-established English dance school in Hong Kong but their ballet classes are of junior levels.

I myself am a student of the ballet classes at FIS. We have classes for toddlers to adults and it is a pretty well-established dance school in the French community. The classes are conducted in French but my teacher speaks English to students who do not have a good demand in French. You can pm me if you want more details.

I also dance at another dance school that is of English medium but I don't think they have any ballet class.

I think you'd better consider it seriously before you put your kid into an English medium dance school. According to my experience, the local ballet schools are way better than these English-medium ballet schools. You can try to find local ballet schools with teachers who are fluent/good in English. There are lots of good local ballet schools with good teachers who speak pretty good english. S/he doesn't have to be fluent. Dance really isn't about the instruction language.

發表於 10-10-27 23:35 |顯示全部帖子
This is another choice in Mongkok
http://www.lcballet.com/

發表於 10-10-28 00:36 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks for all the information. I will call each school and visit them in person before I decide to let my daughter join any of them.

Again, these informations are usefu. Thanks.l

發表於 10-10-28 09:43 |顯示全部帖子

Local vs. English Medium

I think its too broad to generalize and comment that the local ballet schools are all better than the english medium ones.
I personally was a student at JMW growing up. JMW is indeed a very reputable ballet school with long history.

My daughter also went to JMW for classes last year. The teachers are good. However, their class size is very big (>20+kids). The teachers don't  actually know the kids much at if all. Plus, unless your kid is truly a ballet star, your kid might not get opportunities to perform due to the sheer number of students in the school.

Now, my daughter goes to Southern School of Dance. The class size is small (10 or less) and the teachers know the names of the students. I agree that the discipline in the class might not be as strict as JMW (e.g. guidelines on uniforms are not as strict), but I find the teachers are also very professional. Also, everyone at Southern gets to perform every year. Its less of a meritocracy system than JMW.

Meanwhile, I know there are a lot of local ballet schools that are very very crappy. There are plenty of those out there, many of them have various branches as well. I don't want to name them here.

發表於 10-11-1 10:27 |顯示全部帖子
Why are parents always asking for ballet/swimming/tennis/xxx classes in English?

If the purpose is to learn English, I would say that it is a waste of time. Unless you are sure the teacher speak proper English, you are likely to have your child learning nothing in the end. You should rather be finding a good ballet/swimming/tennis teacher for your child.

If you concern is that your child does not really speak much Cantonese and thus may be unable to learn, then you do not have to worry. I have seen lots of non chinese speaking children learning all kinds of classes from chinese speaking coach/teacher and they learn well.

In fact, would that be a golden opportunity for your child to learn some Chinese as well? Chinese is so important now and if your child is chinese and she is unable to understand chinese, do you think this is kind of weird?

Not here to bash anyone, but merely sharing what I have seen over the pass 10+ years.

I am of the feeling that this "english speaking classes" culture/phenomenon in Hong Kong is so ridiculous.