用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Strategy get into hot professional programs in the U ...
樓主: ANChan59
go

Strategy get into hot professional programs in the University

發表於 12-4-26 00:37 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 wloi 於 17-9-10 15:17 編輯

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

發表於 12-4-26 01:11 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

You should proud of her achievement so far and wish her has flying color results in the HKDSE.
You are right, academic results are more important than other ECA and or exposures. But when ties, it makes the difference. But, you may be wrong to assume all exposures are "buy"........ I just provide different strategies for parents' consideration, I also suggested them to do it locally and as volunteer in different organizations like church, elderly home.

Personally, I prefer my son has more global exposures in missionary trip or whatever arrangements which will have positive impact on his future development. I benefit from those exposures for my career life anyway. No right or wrong, just my personal preference.

Good to hear some "down-to-earth" approach also serve the purpose. Pls share more with us when your daughter get into the university.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 12-4-26 19:05 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 wloi 於 17-9-10 15:22 編輯

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

點評

ANChan59  I don't have split identity.

My original thinking was for professional programs, no distinction on JUPAS or non-JUPAS. I review those posts again, still valid for both streams.  發表於 12-5-2 21:34

發表於 12-5-2 13:01 |顯示全部帖子
Thank you very much to all parents here for the time and effort they made to share their experiences and thoughts on kid's future.
I feel like reading a brief history of HK Revolution in Education, but eduction reforms from the top happen often that make parents get tired.

發表於 12-5-2 21:36 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

Keep sharing, I am open-minded for different views, no right or wrong.

發表於 12-5-14 14:01 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

thanks so much for your sharing!!!!!

發表於 12-5-14 14:03 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

Please let me know how my kid can apply for this test : Law National Aptitude Test?
Many thanks!!!

發表於 12-5-14 20:40 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

The official website : http://www.lnat.ac.uk

Please note the deadline for application of the test each year and some universities have different deadlines for sitting for the test.

發表於 12-5-14 21:56 |顯示全部帖子
Dear All

As the minimum wage bill passed and implemented in May 2011, some firms in different professionals are reluctant to take summer students who are studying in secondary schools, because they need to pay the minimum. wages.

For undergraduates or postgraduates, they are exempted from the minimum wages with proper authorization and intern is part of their curriculum.

I know some of you may know it, pls take this as reminder.

ANChan59

點評

94BABY  Thx  發表於 12-5-15 14:18

發表於 12-5-15 08:20 |顯示全部帖子
回復 94BABY 的帖子

when should my kid take the test? one year before going to University? Can my kid take it in HK?
Many thanks!!

發表於 12-5-15 10:50 |顯示全部帖子
If you want to apply for UK college in September 2012 for courses starting September 2013, you should take the LNAT before you send your UCAS application. Usually, the candidates will take the examination in late August because they can make use of the summer to prepare the examination. There are a number of reference books for the LNAT examination. I do not know whether I can buy in Hong Kong. However, if you search Amazon (UK), you can find a number of them. It is better to buy 2 to 3 books. The examination is held at a commercial building in Central. At the time of booking the examination, you have  a number of time slots to choose. Each slot is about one hou. The examination is done on computer and you will have your score immediately after the LNAT examinations, For tier-1 univiersities, score 18 (out of 30) is competitive..

If you want to apply to Cambridge, you need to take their own entrance examination if you are invited for an interview.

發表於 12-5-15 14:16 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

For 2013 UK university admission, registration may begin in August 2012 and the test may begin from Sept 2012.

My kid took it in HK last September for 2012 university admission. Total number of MC is 42 and per LNAT official, the average score is 18.6 out of 42 for that round of test.

發表於 12-5-15 17:58 |顯示全部帖子
My son took the LNAT in late August 2007. He scored 18 out of 30. Eventually, he got offer from 4 UK law schools (except Cambridge). He studied LLB in 2008 in London. Now he is doing PCLL at CU.

發表於 12-5-15 22:51 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 wloi 於 17-9-10 15:18 編輯

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

發表於 12-5-16 09:46 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

wloi
Thanks for your info. I have a quick question to seek for for advice.

If my son also interested in BBA-Law, what he should be prepared for the application and interview?

ANChan59

發表於 12-5-16 13:27 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

It is glad to learn your daughter's achievement and would like to share with you about your daugher's choice.

As you know, whether your daughter studies LLB or BBA (law) in HKU, there will be 2 cohores of students, one cohore of the 334 students and the other is the last A-level students. Since 2008, the LLB curriculum has been extended to 4 years. Disregarding which cohore a student belongs, both the DSE and A-level students would take 4 years to complete LLB or 5 years to complete BBA (Law). In other words, the number of graduates in a same year would be doubled. The competition for a PCLL space would be very fierce if the number of spaces is not expanded two times. Even if the PCLL spaces are doubled, the number of graduates will also be doubled,

I think it is most likely that the PCLL spaces will be doubled to cater the needs of the graduates. The legal employment market may not employ twice PCLL graduates. You can foresee that the competition for training is extremely severe.

It takes 3 years to complete a LLB degree in UK. If your daughter could complete the conversion examinations in the mean time, she can go the PCLL direct and could avoid the bottle neck in the PCLL spaces or the job market. The passing rate of conversion is quite high (on average 70% passing rate).

If money is not a hinderance factor for your daughter to study in UK, you may consider the above with your daughter.

發表於 12-5-16 22:02 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

Does summer internship in a law firm really help the application for law course in University? It's because I have no personal connections with any lawyers and very little chance to arrange for any summer internship for my kid as a secondary student. Moreover, most summer internship in law firms are for undergraduate students.Please advise.

發表於 12-5-16 22:02 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Does summer internship in a law firm really help the application for law course in University? It's because I have no personal connections with any lawyers and very little chance to arrange for any summer internship for my kid as a secondary student. Moreover, most summer internship in law firms are for undergraduate students.Please advise.

發表於 12-5-16 22:04 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

my kid really wants to study law in Cambridge. Can you please give me some tips how to get in?Thanks!!!

發表於 12-5-16 22:09 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Hi, Shootastar,

My kid's situation is similar to wloi's daughter but he prefers to go to UK for law study if his HKDSE exam result meets the conditional offer.

Can you advise on the strategy to take the conversion exam? Whether to take it after finishing the 3 year undergrad or taking it throughout the 3 years? Any course to take for the exam or self-study is ok? Any recommended study material? Thanks.