用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Strategy get into hot professional programs in the U ...
樓主: ANChan59
go

Strategy get into hot professional programs in the University [複製鏈接]

161#
發表於 12-6-20 12:31 |只看該作者
回復 joys2334 的帖子

joys2334

I try to answer most of questions as follow:

据了解你的兒子是讀IB, 而你亦主要target 本地大學的medicines, QF, etc. (Yes, it's his preference at this stage, if better offers from overseas, we suggest him to go overseas and not HK. Who knows, finally he may not get any offer from local universities.)

As far as I understand, 如果target US top-tier universities, 大學會看学生各方面的才能如校內GPA, SAT,  public examinations results, ECA, community services, etc.  而英國則着重public examinations results 及對揀選學科的知識. (Generally, yes.)

而local universities 不是只是看public examinations 的成績以及interview 的表現嗎? (Mainly based on public examination results.) 但看见這裏不論是jupas and non-jupas candidates 都好似用美國的approach咁?  (Because in NSS, the curriculum changed to more US approach, OLE, Liberal Studies........ Of course, IB is a more global curriculum.) 又ECA, community services, overseas volunteer services, summer jobs, internship, shadowing, attachment, etc.  local universities 真係会看咁多样野嗎?  (You are right, not necessary to do all items. I just share what you can do, you can DIY for your kids.) 或是所有家長也是來個大包圍 for US, UK, HK universities? (For my family, HK and UK, and then US. May be others just focus on HK, no need to follow the US approach.)

另外, 你們所說的category 1, 2 and 3, 是否是說local universities 不同major 對interview 重要性的比重程度呢? (Yes, it's refer to local universities. No, it's refer to interview performance, not major specific. Of course, some programs no need for interview.)

此外想請教你們的意見, 其實現今年代undergraduate或postgraduate大學的名氣比較重要呢?  (For my limited knowledge in professional membership, we focus more on undergraduate curriculum and not the reputation alone.) 如果在我個年代所有人包括僱主的共識肯是undergraduate, 是經過千辛萬苦爭取入去, 但現在我想有2至3成人是会讀master的, 令到master果間大學名氣也很重要.  What do you think about this? (No matter UG or PG, top universities always count. The coming trend is Doctor.......)

最後, 亦想分享曾聽過某US名牌大學的Admission Officer說, 佢地果張申請表要寫父母職業, 如果一個藍領一個中產家庭的学生成织若果相同, 佢地会揀藍領仔女果個.  亦因此, 佢地吾會計分比 expensive overseas summer course, etc. (In my post, I shared what I know, I tried some items not everything. All parents have free will to DIY some portfolio for their kids, that's my original intention. In US, they have quota for students from different categories and social classes. You can check in EK, a post mentioned that even better grades of  ABC, can't get in Ivy League, but other ethical minorities can get in with lower GPA.)

Sharing here is neutral and act as checklist, mix and match is the best way for us as parents.

ANChan59
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

162#
發表於 12-6-20 15:24 |只看該作者
AnChan59,

Thank you for your detailed analysis.  I’ve got it all.

在我角度及年代, undergraduate 始終很重要, 因為一讀就3-4年, 真正思維的訓練都在大學時代, 那個年代邊個major 畢業都有工做, 而大学畢業後想讀master 也很易, 只耍有2:2, 幾年工作經驗儲倒d錢便可, 所以我一向都覺得undergraduate and its curriculum 是比有master 重要

但現在卻不同了, 有些人的策略是希望undergraduate爆GPA, 然後揀些有名氣的海外master programme.  可能年代不同了.....

對我的兒子來說, 他又不是咁中意學術的人, 不用說master, PhD更加不用說, 我想有名氣的overseas master program, i.e. MBA 学費都要1M.  

另外可能我表達得唔好, 我知道這是一個neutral discussion. 我問的問題是我真真想知的, 別冇真他意思, 真不好意思, actually you are so so so generous to share your ideas and strategies in this forum.  You are so terrific!

163#
發表於 12-6-20 22:57 |只看該作者
Now a day, kids prefer studying studying and not working, that's not allow in my family. We support the first degree and max master, others either pay by himself or get a scholarship.

In the past, we are talking MBA, now, they are talking about which MBA. Just discussed with by son over the phone, take BBA - Law or Law + MBA....  His answer show his maturity.

164#
發表於 12-6-24 18:24 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Hi Parents,Please help:
If my kid applies for UK university, can he only apply for 5 universities?
Do Cambridge & Oxford count as one university or two universities?
What is the best strategy to choose Law school of top, middle and so so universities if he has only  5 choices? I'm afraid if he only chooses all top ones, he will not get in any of them if he can't get high points in IB?
Please give me some tips!
Thanks!

165#
發表於 12-6-24 19:31 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 12-6-24 20:45 編輯

回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

I just start research on Law degree with my son, the info below just some rough idea, may need further checking.
If my kid applies for UK university, can he only apply for 5 universities? (If he aims for law degree alone, then, may be five. If aims for law and economics, can be 5 courses on 3-4 universities.)

Do Cambridge & Oxford count as one university or two universities? (You can only select one out of two, except medicine for graduates...... you can check UCAS web site's adviser guide 2013. http://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides/adviserguide )

What is the best strategy to choose Law school of top, middle and so so universities if he has only  5 choices?
I'm afraid if he only chooses all top ones, he will not get in any of them if he can't get high points in IB? (A useful website that I always visit, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law_Degree )

I suggest you and your son visit the above websites to collect more official info and make an appointment with your son's university counselors or advisers, they can provide more useful info.

ANChan59

166#
發表於 12-6-24 20:42 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Thanks so much for your reply!

167#
發表於 12-6-24 23:18 |只看該作者
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

Harry Porter
If your son's PG is 41 or more, I suggest you make Oxbridge as one of your choice. As to the others, I suggest as follows:-

(1) choose two out of UCL, LSE, Durham and KCL

(2) choose two others from QMU, Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol, or other universities you think fit.

If his PG is 38 or more but less than 41, I suggest you to choose 3 out of (1) above and 2 out of (2) above.

168#
發表於 12-6-25 00:11 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Shootastar
What's your suggestion for Economics and or Finance other than LSE for my son?

His PG 39-41.

He prefers Cambridge, but he also interested in PPE from Oxford, I don't think he can make it as it's so popular.

ANChan59

169#
發表於 12-6-25 11:49 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan59
I think Cambridge's Economics if not better than LSE is as good as it. UCL may be a good choice for Economics. I have no idea about Finance.

Yes, you are perfectly right that PPE of Oxford is very competitive.

170#
發表於 12-6-25 17:30 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Thanks so much for your advice!!

171#
發表於 12-6-25 17:32 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

So will he get the PG first and then apply?! He's now in Year 11, not in IB yet. Thanks again!

172#
發表於 12-6-25 17:33 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

May I know is 41 out of 42 or 41 out of 45?

醒目開學勳章

173#
發表於 12-6-25 18:09 |只看該作者
請問各位知否HKU, CU & UST Environment Science PG要幾多先至可以有offer?

174#
發表於 12-6-26 00:19 |只看該作者
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

I mean 41 out of 45. You can check the usual offers from the websites of the universities concerned.

175#
發表於 12-6-26 00:22 |只看該作者
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

If your kid will study IB in grade 12, normally, he will receive his PG by the end of Grade 12 but some school may issue the PG in Grade 13 after the first test or so.

The deadline for Oxbridge application is 15 October and the deadline for other colleges is later. In any case, you will have the PG for reference before you submit your UCAS applications. As I said, you can check the terms of the offers from the universities concerned from their websites.

176#
發表於 12-6-26 05:18 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Shootastar & Harryporter

For local DSS schools, they only have grade 12, so G11's final exam result may lead to PG instead of G12. pls take it into consideration.
ANChan59

177#
發表於 12-7-3 23:00 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Hi Parents,My kid is going to choose his IB subjects; he wants to study history and psychology, however, the school doesn't allow two subjects in the same group, he may need to choose film study or ICT, do you know whether IB subjects will affect his choice of Law in the University?? Is Film study not good for applying Law? How can I check it from the Uni??
Thanks for your help.

178#
發表於 12-7-3 23:09 |只看該作者
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

Pls refer to this blog, more related to UK Universities.
A Rough Guide to Sensible Combinations
http://www.edu-kingdom.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=107125&do=blog&id=1460

179#
發表於 12-7-4 08:14 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Thanks for the link.

180#
發表於 12-7-4 11:26 |只看該作者
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

I would suggest that History is included in the curriculum. 4 years ago, my son together with 4 other classmates applied to the same college (law). Although my son's result was the weakest amongst them, the college only gave a conditional offer to my son. The difference between them was the fact that only my son took History and the other four did not.

This year, my daughter together with 4 other classmates applied to MBBS to CU and HKU. They were top students in the class. However, only 2 of them (including my daughter) obtained offers from CU and HKU. I also notice that the two successful guys took History in the public examination.

Based on these 2 incidents, I feel the the hot programme of CU and HKU would like the candidates to challenge themselves by taking History, no matter they are from science or arts stream. History can prove to the admission offers that you have the ability to read substantively, think critically, articulate the arguments coherently and good language skills. Such skills are useful no matter you study BBA Law or MBBS.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題