教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 10-8-28 11:35 |只看該作者

AP vs. IB? Ask the Dean

AP vs. IB?  
Question: We have a high-achieving, loves-a-challenge 8th-grader who will be attending a high school that offers IB and AP. Which of the two do college admissions prefer?

A growing number of high schools seem to be offering both AP and IB, and thus many parents (and students) are befuddled by their options.
In terms of college admissions, it doesn’t matter which you choose. College applications ask guidance counselors to indicate whether a student’s academic program is “Most Demanding,” “Very Demanding, “Somewhat Demanding,” etc. when compared with what is offered at that school. Unless a student has a big “hook” (recruited athlete, underrepresented minority, VIP, legacy, et al), then only those in the first category get serious consideration at the most competitive colleges. Both full IB programs and AP-laden programs generally earn the “Most Demanding” designation. You can certainly check with the school counselor to make sure that this is the case at your son’s school, too.
Note, however, that I say “full IB programs.” In many high schools, students can sign on for some selected IB classes without shooting for the whole diploma, and I’ve seen admission officials act sort of snooty about that. So, before you commit to either route, be certain that you and your son understand what the complete IB program entails in terms of course selection, time commitment, etc. Your school should have some materials that explain how IB works. You can also check out the official site at http://www.ibo.org/ or read this very reasonable Wikipedia summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Baccalaureate If you’re wary about jumping in with both feet, then the AP road might be the better one to take.
Another consideration to keep in mind is that the more selective colleges often give college credit only for IB classes taken at the “Higher Level” (“HL” in IB lingo). IB students take three classes at that level and the rest at the Standard Level (“SL”). Some colleges give credit only for IB exam scores of 7 (the top); some for lower scores. Thus, even the most outstanding students may only get college credit in three areas, while AP students could end up with credit in many more subjects, depending on how many AP classes the student takes, how he fares on the exams, and what the college’s credit policy is. Some parents and students report that they have to jump through more hoops for IB credit than for AP credit, especially when students are not at the most selective colleges. In any case, once you start investigating AP and IB credit policies, you may feel like you need Cal Tech degree just to figure it all out. Each college seems to somehow manage to come up with an AP/IB credit-awarding system that is just a tad different than the next guy’s!
Of course, for many AP and IB students, earning college credit is not a priority. Most students are focusing primarily on having an engaging high school experience and on impressing admission officials in the process. If they’re shooting for the Ivies and other hyper-competitive colleges, these students aren’t necessarily looking to arrive with credits under their belt nor do they intend to rush through in three years (even though it might save Mom and Dad a bundle of dough).
As you make your plans, also don’t forget to also look into miscellaneous “logistical” considerations. Find out how your son’s choice of program might affect other options in the school day. For instance, do scheduling constraints mean that IB students cannot sign up for chorus, orchestra or yearbook? Do IB students take all their classes together and are never–or rarely—in class with non-IB students? Do they have a separate lunch period that segregates them even more? (In some schools, this can be a minus, in others, a plus.)
But the bottom line is this: If your son is looking for a challenging high school experience that will also “look good” at college admission time, then he can’t go wrong with either AP or IB.
For some additional thoughts, here are links to a Washington Post article by noted education/admissions writer Jay Matthews and also to an IB vs.AP thread on the College Confidential discussion forum:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp ... 47562-2004Dec8.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential. ... 68664-ap-vs-ib.html

Source: Ask the Dean

102#
發表於 10-8-28 11:50 |只看該作者
International Baccalaureate: Why the broad IB beats A-levels

Ucas has given the IB its approval – and now more schools look set to take it up, says Nick Jackson

Thursday, 25 October 2007

A decade ago teaching the International Baccalaureate was eccentric. Now, it seems, it is the future. In the past four years the number of schools teaching the IB in the UK has more than doubled. How has a little known curiosity stormed British education?

One hundred and one schools in the UK now teach the International Baccalaureate diploma programme to sixth formers. Nearly half of those are independent schools. The sector, with its greater freedom and willingness to experiment, has long pioneered the qualification.

Last year those pioneers landed a windfall when the International Baccalaureate was given what looked to many like a standing ovation by Ucas. Under the tariff, a common IB score of 30 gives a candidate 419 Ucas tariff points against just 360 for three As at A-level. A top score is equivalent to more than six As at A-level.

The result is that IB schools like Sevenoaks, North London Collegiate and King's College School now crowd the top of the league tables. And one teacher found that universities, including the points pedants at Oxbridge, were more lenient if a student dropped a grade on the IB Diploma than in A-levels.

The Abbey School in Reading is introducing the International Baccalaureate next year. The tipping point for head Barbara Stanley came last year when the new changes to the A-level became clear. "Instead of educationalists reforming A-levels it seems to be the politicians," she says. Populist grade inflation has ruined the A-level, she believes.

It is not just about grades. On the IB Diploma, students select options (specializing in three) from six required subject groups: first and second languages, humanities, sciences, maths, and the arts. They also write an extended essay of 4,000 words, undertake a theory of knowledge course, and complete 150 hours of supervised CAS (creativity, action, service) time.

"The depth and breadth is astonishing," says Stanley. "They can't really make a mistake. They're numerate, literate, have a language and a science."

A familiar concern is that the IB Diploma is too difficult for some. "It's a myth that it's only for the brightest students," says Carolyn Trimming, in charge of the IB diploma programme at The Godolphin and Laty-mer School in London. "I've taught the IB to children with dyslexia, with special needs. They do really well. It's perfectly accessible."

It's certainly a boon for the best. Godolphin's first year of IB students graduated this summer. Nearly a third achieved 40 points or more, worth 652 Ucas points, equivalent to more than five As at A-level.

It is not just a good way in to university, but also a preparation for success there. Trimming says she is often impressed by extended essays that read like undergraduate dissertations. And the essay gets students used to academic norms with a bibliography, abstract, and references.

But it may be a while before Godolphin dumps the A-level altogether. "Some subjects offered in A-level are not offered," says Trimming.

Since the IB's Ucas coup, much of the attention paid to the qualification has been because of its ability to open doors to the best universities. Katy Ricks, head at Sevenoaks School, says: "It's a terrific qualification that'll prepare students for university and for life."

Sevenoaks has now ditched A-levels and teaches only the International Baccalaureate. "It gives teachers and students more independence. We've found it liberating," says Ricks.

Several league tables put Sevenoaks top with an average of nearly 620 points, equivalent to over five As at A-level. The result has been more Sevenoaks students getting their first choice university.

And A-levels? Ricks has no regrets. "They've become much narrower, atomized and rigid; the IB is much more interesting," she says.

Source: Independent Education, Thursday, 25 October 2007

103#
發表於 10-8-30 12:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-7-27 02:22 發表

My son studies current affair writing at BA, mainly to touch up his writing skills related to news and personal impression and feeling on some hot issues locally and internationally. Good for Englis ...

My son is studing  Y10 in MYP. I find he has  problem in writing skills .
Kindly please PM the tutorial details to me as well.  Thank you so much.

104#
發表於 10-8-30 20:01 |只看該作者

回覆 103# CCmonkey 的文章

Check your pm

105#
發表於 10-9-4 15:30 |只看該作者
As I promised, I will update my son's progress in Pre-IB. Here we go......

1. Stress & uncertainty

My son started the Pre-IB this week, it's the first time he couldn't sleep before the term start. He felt the stress and uncertainity in the coming Pre-IB program. After the term start, he felt the progress is fine and happy about the program.

2. Notebook

He planned to buy a notebook initially, after discussed with a senior and researched of most of his classmates in Pre-IB, he changed his mind to Mac book - Pro, as most of them bought Mac book - Pro from 13"-17". We ordered that on last Sunday at Log-on and got the special discount by using my wife's quota. They will utilise that as most course works need to submit electronically.

3. Continuous Assessment (CA) vs Examination

Last year, the split was 50% vs 50%. This year will be 70% vs 30%. It means they need to focus more on course works and tests. We can see he needs to submit 2 courseworks in the last 3 days.

4. IT platform -ManageBac

DBS created a platform call ManageBac which has Calender, Academics (Assignments, CAS, EE & TOK), Reports and News. Also, they link all students, teachers, parents and school together and communicate effectively.

5. Switch subjects

After discussing with the program in-charge, he will change from Biology to Physics.

6. Learning atmosphere

In the last three days, my son shared with us on languages selection; which Universities good at which subjects etc; class discipline better than NSS; external students struggle in adaption of the new school and the Pre-IB program.........

Overall, we can see he is heading in the right direction, we make the right choice IBDP and not NSS.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-9-22 01:20 編輯 ]

106#
發表於 10-9-7 14:15 |只看該作者

回覆 7# ANChan59 的文章

I would like to have the details of tutorial centres.   Pls pm me as well.
Thank you.

107#
發表於 10-9-8 00:51 |只看該作者

回覆 106# chrisleung22 的文章

Check your PM

108#
發表於 10-9-8 14:31 |只看該作者
I would also like to have the details of tutorial centres.   Pls pm me.  Thanks

109#
發表於 10-9-8 14:56 |只看該作者

回覆 108# jonamum 的文章

Pls check your pm

110#
發表於 10-9-17 12:06 |只看該作者
My son told me that one student from NSS transferred to Pre-IB (He re-took the offer after one week) and two students transferred back to NSS (after two weeks) as too much homework in Pre-IB.

We discussed with our son last night, he wanted to transfer back to NSS or not, don't focus on our expectation, if you can't survive, just let us know and transfer back to NSS is fine to us. His answer is "I will stick to it and I can see the progress of Pre-IB is much much better than NSS." He learnt "Not so easy to give up, when face difficulties",that's not his style.

Most Pre-IB students have a plan to study overseas, they are discussing UC Berkerly, LSE, Imperial etc. How to choose subjects strategically? I am impressed by their positive thinking and really plan for their own future by themself.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-9-22 01:21 編輯 ]

111#
發表於 10-9-20 21:30 |只看該作者
Thanks your sharing, could you pm to me the tutorial centres, thank you.

112#
發表於 10-9-20 23:36 |只看該作者

回復 111# primary2007 的帖子

Check your PM.

113#
發表於 10-9-22 09:41 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 10-7-4 14:31 發表
would he take english A1 as group 1 language or chinese A1 as group 1?

what about his group 2 language? english A2 or english B?

this is a hot discussion topic.

After discussing with my son, he shared with me that he will opt for Chinese A1 SL, English A2/A1 SL to accommodate other subjects.
Chemistry, Maths, Economics - HL and Physics - SL.

114#
發表於 10-9-22 12:07 |只看該作者
I just discovered this topic and read through all your writings.  Thank you for sharing your experience and thinking.

We are going to face the same issue this year.  For the case of our son, we are worrying about how he can manage his normal schedule.  He is a member of the school choir,  orchestra, and a outside choir.  He spend a lot of time each week attending rehearsals and instrumental lessons (cello and piano).  We know that he is not willing to give up any of those.

One cellist in the orchestra, who joined the IB course last year, told my son not to choose IB since the coursework takes up most of his time and leaving no time for his music.

Could you also share with us how your boy cope with his normal ECA and whether he has to drop one or two due to the demanding IB course.

Grateful if you could pm me the details of the 2 tutorial centre, preferably with your comment.  Thanks a lot.

115#
發表於 10-9-22 13:36 |只看該作者

回覆 114# junjunmimi 的文章

I can tell your son and my son are classmates.

My son hesitated to join IB because of the extremely heavy workload in the said school, seniors told him to choose NSS if he can get in stream A~C. From the first 3 weeks, we can tell the difference of the assignments between NSS and IB.

Back to ECA, my son is relative layback and not very focus on ECA in the school. As he is very very good in Maths and Science, we planned together for enrichment programs for long holidays and summer vacations, either local or overseas. He had a few gifted summer programs in US (Stanford University) & UK (Imperial College), summer mission to Watoto in Uganda etc. Most of his ECA covers global exposure, creativity, science, business, volunteer and mission. (As my wife and I would like him to expose more when we can still afford that, I don't want to project a wrong image to show-off). Through these activities, he can expose to wider spectrum and then narrow down his interest in study and his future career.

He shared with me last week end, he will stand for election of Student Council with some of his friends in the school and he will join the school Maths team this year as well. Time wise, he will be fine.

As in Pre-IB, Music is not an elective and your son will learn how to juggle the study, music and social life. But in IBDP, Music become one of his elective. He will have an obvious advantage in the two years time - Music no need for examination, he can only focus on 5 subjects instead of 6, his Music score will be sure 7 under the supervision of Vice Principal - RC.

If your son would like to follow the footstep of RC as music educator or artist. He should talk to RC and see how to reschedule and pritorise his ECA to ensure his study also in flying color.

The last but not the least, what's his plan? Music is his ultimate career...... or as hobby........ If he wants to be a lawyer or medical doctor etc, he needs to plan and polish his portfolio in more specific directions.........

Your son already in Pre-IB (I mixed it up with another parent, I send you the details in pm), from my best knowledge he is no need for English tuition. The IB English teachers in the school are very good from most seniors' comment. Also, the English in IB more focus on Eng Lit and not grammar stuff..... in local curricullum.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-9-22 17:19 編輯 ]

116#
發表於 10-9-22 23:53 |只看該作者
Thank you for your info and comments.

I am sorry for not having made clear that my son is in G.9 this year.  He is not in the Pre-IB course yet.  There is still some time for us to make the decision.  The English tuition would certainly be useful to him.

I agree with you that we should plan the whole thing from a wider perspective.  I am going to discuss the matter in more detail with my son.

Looking forward to your further sharing.

117#
發表於 10-9-23 00:04 |只看該作者

回覆 116# junjunmimi 的文章

Check your pm.

118#
發表於 10-9-30 23:45 |只看該作者
I would like to have the details of tutorial centres.   Pls pm me.   Thanks a lot!

119#
發表於 10-10-1 18:33 |只看該作者

回覆 118# tlch 的文章

Check you PM.

120#
發表於 10-10-1 18:35 |只看該作者
You may also interested in the following update:-

Strategy 2 University Requirements and Admission (updated 1/10)- get into hot professional programs in HK Universities
‹ 上一主題|下一主題