搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

221#
發表於 11-6-16 15:55 |只看該作者
有心人的blog:

IB 公佈的2010年全球DP成績分佈資料,在網上可以下載:http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbul ... isticalbulletin.pdf

2010年的香港IB考生高達 1,318人,...

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/ecy_y/article?mid=917

222#
發表於 11-6-16 16:05 |只看該作者

回覆 1# mattsmum 的文章

anchan59 mentioned in this blog, do you know this person?

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/ecy_y/article?mid=913

223#
發表於 11-6-16 17:14 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-16 16:05 發表
anchan59 mentioned in this blog, do you know this person?

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/ecy_y/article?mid=913

I don't know the blogger, he just referred what I mentioned the figure about LPCUWC's IB results from this thread. Of course, I am more than happy to know him through PM.

May be he is one of the member of BK.

His blogs are in Chinese and much easier to read, also most info are factual. My sharing more from a father and user point of views plus some comments and observations from my son.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

224#
發表於 11-6-16 17:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-16 15:55 發表

2010年的香港IB考生高達 1,318人,...

http://hk.mybl ...

下表六是一些科目的平均分,中文A2明顯高於其他科,達6分以上;英文A2亦達5分以上;其他科目的平均分都差不多(4.5分上下)。

From 2013 onward, no more A2, only A & B in languages. According to my son's English teacher, study more than 5 years in any languages, must go for A to ensure no more cutting corners.

225#
發表於 11-6-17 18:38 |只看該作者

回復 2# ANChan59 的帖子

香港大學房地產及建設系助理教授姚松炎博士自小在美孚成長, 基於個人感情, 引發他對美孚以及香港屋苑的研究, that is the person. 很有心,关注香港的教育,同情孩子。

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 11-6-17 18:40 編輯 ]

226#
發表於 11-6-18 08:26 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-17 18:38 發表
香港大學房地產及建設系助理教授姚松炎博士自小在美孚成長, 基於個人感情, 引發他對美孚以及香港屋苑的研究, that is the person. 很有心,关注香港的教育,同情孩子。 ...

mattsmom

Wa, it's my great honour to know an academic referred my post .......

I bookmarked his blog to see the updates of his findings in IB and HK education in general.

Thanks so much to refer an excellent site to me.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-18 10:56 編輯 ]

227#
發表於 11-6-22 15:47 |只看該作者
Dear ANCHan59,
Thanks for such a great sharing. It's my turn now to help my child select the subjects. It's really a headache!
May I have the names of the two tutorial centres? Pls PM me.  Thank you.
Kind regards,
deniset

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-4-30 00:41 發表
wisemom & Relon18

Check your pm.

228#
發表於 11-6-22 16:56 |只看該作者
原帖由 deniset 於 11-6-22 15:47 發表
Dear ANCHan59,
Thanks for such a great sharing. It's my turn now to help my child select the subjects. It's really a headache!

deniset

Begin with the end in mind.

• Talk to your kid to explore her interest in subjects, programs and career, or eliminate some possibilities in subjects or universities or career first.
  • Browse with her through different programs in some universities, either HK or overseas. If she can pick some programs, you head the right direction. The program will show some compulsory subject(s), which can help to narrow down your choices.
  • Consider the number of seats, like Pharmacy, CUHK 40, HKU 30; Medicine, CUHK 210, HKU 210..... Similar admission grades, so you know the answer.....
  • Also, check with IBO's previous exam results, for subjects with SL and HL. She can maximise or optimise her scores to fit the program she loves.
  • HKDSE may not have track record, just temporary use UGC, HKALE admission grades as reference.

After that, you have a pretty realitic picture to take either IB or NSS and combination of subjects......

Check your pm.

Good luck.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-23 12:53 編輯 ]

229#
發表於 11-6-22 18:17 |只看該作者

Post in Education Policy - Balance of Chinese and English Proficiency

It's very difficult to strike a balance between Chinese and English proficiency, no one can replace the parents' critical role; unconditional love, family relationship and open communication within the family are the key elements.

I support CMI in kindergarten and primary, but we need to provide a regular English speaking environment for him, not purely grammar stuff. I will use language programs as enrichment programs more than academic excellence.

My son finished G1-6 EPGY Maths at P2 level. From G7 onward, his local CMI School’s English standard can't support him to study higher level Maths. So he stopped one year in Maths and focused on English so that he could continue the EPGY program at P4. "Start and stop" is very difficult for us and the boy (He may think was under average, eventually, he was well advance.), be sensitive and need to explain to him in details..... He also told us to take CMI secondary school instead of EMI, then we arranged two holidays in English and PTH speaking countries, his first hand experience reminded him that he needed to master both.

After he can manage both Chinese and English at certain standards, he started to learn PTH. The teacher was from Beijing and I appreciated her methodology, activity-based and also focused on writing skills training. But she didn’t take students older than 10......... (No need to ask or pm me, she quitted and just as simple house wife, referred by a friend.)

When he got into an elite secondary school, he became mediocre. He struggled a bit, we didn't offer any help until he made up his mind to do IBDP. He took English writing remedial class and some class more examination-oriented to improve his chance to take IB. It's tough, now we can see his positive progress in bilingual program.

It's not easy, but we love our kids, relationship and communication are the fundamentals to nurture a great kid.

May be some parents will say also financial resources and parents' academic standard...... Some programs are free of charge........

You may ask the follow up question, how do we know his standard compare with other kids?

Of course, we shared among groups of friends in business circles and in church. We picked up some great ideas from more knowledgeable parents and we studied and sourced around different programs in HK and overseas. We also encourage our boy to sit for international examinations in both English and Maths, not to show-off here, more for benchmarking. Reality check the medium fish in the ocean........ (I guess our kids' destination is ocean not the ponds.)

My personal reflection on HK educational system is..... When our dear educational official told us to move forward 3 steps, I will stop immediately and look around and may left or right turn with 1 step back....... Sorry not social dance, that what I am doing now. Not funny,  

In conclusion, no fast track, no right or wrong, but needs trial and error type of approach.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-22 18:21 編輯 ]

230#
發表於 11-6-23 12:35 |只看該作者

回復 2# ANChan59 的帖子

Dear ANChan59,
Thanks for your advice! I shall do that.
Kind regards,
deniset

231#
發表於 11-6-23 16:17 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

232#
發表於 11-6-23 17:33 |只看該作者
The arrangement that I understand for now is either one, not both.

原帖由 BookloverJ 於 11-6-23 16:17 發表

Dear deniset,

Could you advise what is the arrangement of Logos towards the public exam IB and NSS for their students?
Do the students have to take both IB and NSS at the same school year or in di ...

233#
發表於 11-6-23 17:53 |只看該作者
原帖由 deniset 於 11-6-23 17:33 發表
The arrangement that I understand for now is either one, not both.

It's a more sensible move. IB or NSS.....

234#
發表於 11-6-23 18:00 |只看該作者

235#
發表於 11-6-23 18:01 |只看該作者

236#
發表於 11-6-23 18:26 |只看該作者
原帖由 BookloverJ 於 11-6-23 18:01 發表

ANChan,

I have a question about the DSS that provide both IBDP and NSS.
Does the Education Bureau set any rule on the % distribution of students taking IBDP and NSS? Take an extreme case, is it p ...

You can check at EDB website about DSS, the DSS school must offer principally local curricullum for students.

http://www.edb.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/Content_1489/ss_section7.pdf

Curriculum

2. Another feature of the DSS is the freedom that DSS schools enjoy with regard to curriculum. DSS secondary schools are required to offer principally a curriculum targeted at local students. The school is required to prepare its students to sit for the relevant local public examinations. It is hoped that such schools will offer a variety of subjects to cater for the special needs of their students. In order that parents can choose what they consider to be the right curriculum for their children, DSS schools will be required to give a full description of their curricula, with an indication of any new items, in their annual prospectuses.

Unquote

In DBS and SPCC, they limited around 25% IBDP75% HKDSE. I also heard from a Director of a DSS school, the ruling should be less than 30% IBDP

ay be other insiders can share with us what % for IBDP HKDSE.......

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-23 18:31 編輯 ]

237#
發表於 11-6-23 22:12 |只看該作者
20 June 2011-- just learned that there was a special report in SCMP about IB , but I can't find it in internet, can anybody post a link for that report?

238#
發表於 11-6-23 22:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-23 22:12 發表
20 June 2011-- just learned that there was a special report in SCMP about IB , but I can't find it in internet, can anybody post a link for that report?

You need to subscribe from SCMP. You can borrow from the library (June 21, 2011).

I read the print copy, nothing special.....

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-23 22:43 編輯 ]

239#
發表於 11-6-24 13:31 |只看該作者
Dear ANChan59

Can you recommend english tutorial centre to me too?

Thanks very much.

JJandSS

原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-6-30 21:01 發表
My son studies in a local DSS (直資學校) school which provided both NSS (新高中) & IB curriculum (國際文憑課程). Our family spent quite some time to evaluate the pros and cons of both curriculum and t ...

240#
發表於 11-6-25 08:20 |只看該作者

回覆 16# ANChan59 的文章

my son told me the same about chinese, so hk students must go for A for both chinese and english.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題