搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
查看: 293470|回覆: 684
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-6-30 21:01 |只看該作者 |正序瀏覽 |打印
本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 13-8-15 21:29 編輯

各位,因為小兒曾經上過英文寫作班及操卷班是4年前的事,他上了兩個學期,跟著沒有再上,所以資料已經過了時間性,參考作用不大,所以在數月前我已經不再提供,不想誤導其他家長,抱歉!

My son studies in a local DSS (直資學校) school which provided both NSS (新高中) & IB curriculum (國際文憑課程). Our family spent quite some time to evaluate the pros and cons of both curriculum and the admission of Universities and other considerations. I would like to share with you all here, only my personal experience.

Background

The school just offers the bridging course of IBDP (國際文憑課程). this school year and no track record of IBDP (國際文憑課程). and even unauthorized in IBO (國際文憑組織). website (Now, being authorized). The tuition fee will be nearly double for IB stream relative to NSS stream. First year only recruit max 60 students, but only 45 places filled as they only accept the top students and excellent command of English to take IBDP (國際文憑課程). (top 80 out of 240 form ranking).

Our concerns:

1. JUPAS (聯招) vs Non-JUPAS (非聯招)

75% university places for JUPAS and only 25% for non-JUPAS (after further review, 25% is max for CityU, other Us from 10-20%, in case you want to know exactly, pls check each university's admission section.). So the chance seems to be higher for JUPAS. I did some research on LPCUWC (李寶春聯合國際書院) and some ESF (英基學校)and IS (國際學校) schools' university admission results in the last few years (Most IS & ESF schools didn't disclose much of their IB results and university admission results, my wild guess their results not impressive.) LPCUWC - 2009 May IB results average 37.16, HK students average 39.29, overseas student’s average 35.13 and the max will be 45 and passing score is 24. Most ESF and IS's IB average less than 32. LPCUWC IB results with flying colors and 82% students study in HK get into Big 3 (港大、中大、科大) in HK and the subjects are impressive like Medicine, Law, Architecture, Business. If my son's IB results comparative to the bright students of LPCUWC, his chance gets into Big 3 for hot subjects may be higher than JUPAS stream.

2. Curriculum (課程)

NSS has some changes in the curriculum like introducing Liberal Studies (通識) , OLE (其他學習經驗), M1 (統計) & M2 (微積分) on top of core Maths. But the examination papers standard close to A-level. It's easier for teachers, students and tuition centers as most HKCEE (會考) and A-level past papers still valid for them. IB has the curriculum but not very popularly known and sometimes their scope close to 1st year University level, but not in the IB examination. Broad curriculum and not as structural as NSS.

3. Work load

Heavy loading in continuous assessment, many projects, presentation, essay writing, lab work etc. it's very demanding in time management and discipline. Some students even as boarders to save their daily travelling time to meet the deadline. Relative to NSS students, they are still "Hea" and wait for the last year to burn the mid-light oil.

4. Top notch universities

I participated two seminars from Cambridge and Oxford Universities' Admission Officer in HK last October/November. Particularly Cambridge recognized the HKAL, but not for HKDSE (香港文憑試). So he recommended students want to study in Cambridge either study Pre-U schools in UK or go for IB, 38-41 will have a chance for interview and depends on individual college requirement (I won't elaborate college system here.). As A* in HKDSE not equivalent to A* in GCE AL, HK students' chance to study elite universities in UK will be slim. That's why more students study in UK for high school.

5. HK/USA/UK

My son not makes up his mind to study in which regions, IB can be one fits all except some US universities may need SAT or other exam to prove your English proficiency. Pls better check the admission requirement of individual university.

6. Exam expert v Life time learner

No definitely preference, sometimes excellent exam results are essential for further studying and career advancement. If exam upset your kid to study, you need to rethink. (Too much work load may also upset my son).

Tactics to achieve IBDP Bridging Program ((國際文憑銜接課程). place in my son's school

1. Excellent command of English

In IBDP, teacher supposes not teaching grammar or basic English, they focus on literature critique. My son not from the primary division of the school, so may not up to the par of their requirement. So we sent him to a very good English class to polish his English writing skills. Not matter he can get in IBDP or not, his English standard improves a lot in this year. (If you really want to know the details of the tuition centres, pls PM me. I don't want to violate the BK rule. Thanks.)

2. Form ranking

My son reviews his handicaps in continuous assessment and examination results of certain subjects. His final ranking not announce yet, but definitely within top 80.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-7-26 15:59 編輯 ]
   108    0    2    0

685#
發表於 18-7-23 19:00 |只看該作者
After a few years, the current admission scores of elite programs are very very high, even more difficult than JUPAS admission.

Even general programs the threshold admission score close to 36/45.

Also in EK, we shared more in 36+ admission scenario, but less parents shared about the actual score below 36/45. It's not easy and lack of detail info.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

684#
發表於 17-8-28 18:12 |只看該作者
NLa 發表於 17-8-28 17:28
Dear AnChan 59,
I would like to have the details of the tutorial centres, pls pm me as well. Thx

Sorry, those info are outdated, I don’t want to mislead you.

醒目開學勳章

683#
發表於 17-8-28 17:28 |只看該作者
Dear AnChan 59,
I would like to have the details of the tutorial centres, pls pm me as well. Thx

682#
發表於 17-7-13 09:13 |只看該作者
小桃兒 發表於 12-1-4 14:45
Dear ANChan59,

Please check PM and send me the details of English tutorial centre that your son too ...

Dear Anchan 59,

Please kindly PM me the English tutorial center that u mentioned.
Thanks!

681#
發表於 17-5-15 00:39 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 hei918 於 20-2-15 13:23 編輯

Deleted

680#
發表於 17-5-12 20:57 |只看該作者
ANChan59 發表於 17-4-13 02:16
My son will complete QFin within a few weeks, I will spend some time to write up the observations an ...

Dear AnChan59:

Would you mind PM me the name of the two tutorial centres. Thanks !

Cheers,
Jenny

679#
發表於 17-4-13 02:16 |只看該作者
My son will complete QFin within a few weeks, I will spend some time to write up the observations and comments from my son related to IB curriculum and learning style in the university.

678#
發表於 16-8-17 13:18 |只看該作者
slamai 發表於 16-8-17 13:10
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

"Use medical school as reference, JUPAS top 1.5% can get in ..... for NJ, norm ...
I attended the information day of CUHK for three years, in the MBChB sessions, the professors in charge of admission shown that in the presentations.

It's applicable for CUHK only, for HKU, NJ can be lower than 0.5%.

點評

slamai  Thanks  發表於 16-8-17 13:35

677#
發表於 16-8-17 13:10 |只看該作者
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

"Use medical school as reference, JUPAS top 1.5% can get in ..... for NJ, normally top 0.5%."

Please enlighten us how you have come up with the above figures for easy reference.

676#
發表於 16-7-27 16:26 |只看該作者
回覆 workingmom 的帖子

My two cents:

1. JUPAS 收生分數要公開披露,為保名聲 ,院校都不願收DSE低分學生,空位都由Non-JUPAS 學生補上。

NJ students come from different backgrounds, like AD, HD, graduates, GCEAL, IB, BTEC, SAT, AP  etc. Some NJ candidates had proper qualifications to get CO or UCO before HKDSE released the exam results, no need to mention JUPAS results, your last phrase is incorrect.

You can imagine the complexity, how to present the table of NJ results? 1st class honour of Cambridge, is it the same as XX University in Philippines? So GPA, 3.5 from the former one is weaker than the 4.0 from the latter university ....???

For AD or HD, different students from different colleges or IVE, have the same GPA may have different portfolio of electives and majors, how to present in a table.

Is it mean the admission office don't have data ? No, they have, but difficult to present.

If you have time, you can look at the DSE admission score tables, different University has different presentation, different weighting of cores and electives. Sometimes we need to read the small print very carefully.

2. 香港IB 狀元 = 18/2000 = ~1%
    DSE 狀元 = 4/66000 = ~0.01%

I am not sure its a fair comparison or not, DSE based on the total number of students, but IB just use the number of HK students. I suggest to use the total population of both cases, 300000+ instead of 2000. ~0.3%.

Use medical school as reference, JUPAS top 1.5% can get in, no need to have 狀元 ..... for NJ, normally top 0.5%. 狀元 is not a good comparison in elite and most programs.

4. Non-JUPAS 報名是以大學為單位,不同大學個別收生,互不影響。學生可同時有數個offer, 慢慢再揀院校。

I explained in (1), as NJ is for other qualifications outside HKDSE, most universities and programs need to evaluate the students results and performance case by case, like a graduate from Bio-Tech and apply for MBBS, not just the grades but also related to credit exemptions. Similar case for HD and AD, depends on the overall GPA and strength of individual subjects, students can have credit exemption and can get into 2nd year or 3rd year.

Off course you can hold more than one offer, but you need to pay HK$10,000 per offer. I only paid once for insurance offer.

If you really interested in the difference between JUPAS and NJ admissions, go to any university's information day, listen to the two seminars and ask right questions, you will have correct info to make correct decision. Too many false and or twisted info in EK about NJ.

In those seminars, most of your questions are explained in details.

675#
發表於 16-7-15 08:59 |只看該作者
workingmom 發表於 16-7-14 17:07
經non-jupas 入大學肯定着數得多:
1. JUPAS 收生分數要公開披露,為保名聲 ,院校都不願收DSE低分學生,空 ...
睇唔到為何考IB 或經NON JUPAS是著數。

更正一點,今年香港考IB是約二千人,不是二萬人,這群學生的背景都是來自中產家庭,有不少是精英,他們考得好成績是有其原因的。只比較數字,不反映現實。

點評

ANChan59  I hope parents should open-minded to collect more facts before making any conclusion.  發表於 16-7-27 16:40
ANChan59  I try to explain in more details below.  發表於 16-7-27 16:38

674#
發表於 16-7-14 17:07 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 workingmom 於 16-7-15 20:18 編輯

經non-jupas 入大學肯定着數得多:
1. JUPAS 收生分數要公開披露,為保名聲 ,院校都不願收DSE低分學生,空位都由Non-JUPAS 學生補上。
2. 香港IB 狀元 = 18/2000 = ~1%
DSE 狀元 = 4/66000 = ~0.01%
3. GCE A-Level 的 A* 一般是~10%, further Maths 有28%
4. Non-JUPAS 報名是以大學為單位,不同大學個別收生,互不影響。學生可同時有數個offer, 慢慢再揀院校。

673#
發表於 16-4-5 20:21 |只看該作者
回覆 JB2003 的帖子

Those info are outdated. You better ask other parents.

672#
發表於 16-1-9 22:30 |只看該作者
Dear AnChan59,

I would like to have the details of tutorial centres.   Pls pm me as well.
Thank you.

671#
發表於 15-8-30 20:50 |只看該作者
Dear AnChan59:
I also want to know the name of the two tutorial centres also. Kindly PM me.  Thanks !

670#
發表於 15-8-30 20:50 |只看該作者
Dear AnChan59:
I also want to know the name of the two tutorial centres also. Kindly PM me.  Thanks !

669#
發表於 15-8-30 20:48 |只看該作者
Dear AnChan59,

668#
發表於 15-7-30 21:27 |只看該作者
wilsonyeung813 發表於 15-7-24 15:25
Ya IB is really useful for uni prep. ESP for social science, there are lots of essays / mini researc ...
Great, good for you.

667#
發表於 15-7-24 15:25 |只看該作者
ANChan59 發表於 15-6-23 11:55
回覆 wilsonyeung813 的帖子

Wilson, after a year in HKU, what's your comment on the IB program give  ...
Ya IB is really useful for uni prep. ESP for social science, there are lots of essays / mini research papers, similar to EE in IB.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題