搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS  

發表於 11-1-16 15:47 |顯示全部帖子

回復 180# ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan,

Yes, my son also studies in DBS. I have sent PM to you earlier. You have given me many useful comments. I will not consider SPCC as too expensive school fee (For me only).My son is G8 now.We still hv time to consider NSS or IB. I will keep to see your post for considering.
:-P

發表於 11-1-16 16:04 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-7-27 02:22 發表

My son studies current affair writing at BA, mainly to touch up his writing skills related to news and personal impression and feeling on some hot issues locally and internationally. Good for Englis ...

Hi ANChan59,  

Could you please also PM me the tutorial details?  Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

發表於 11-1-16 23:23 |顯示全部帖子

回復 182# scthealnlpa 的帖子

Check your pm.

發表於 11-1-17 00:00 |顯示全部帖子

回復 183# ANChan59 的帖子

Have received your PM.  Thanks a billion!

發表於 11-1-17 23:37 |顯示全部帖子
Hi ANChan59,

Thank you very much for your sharing.  It's really useful.  I will  face the same problem for my daughter, between IB or NSS two years later.  

Could you please pm me the details of the English tutorial centres?  

One more request:  If possible, can I know your recommended summer programs overseas?  I really need to plan ahead.

Thanks a million!

發表於 11-1-18 11:02 |顯示全部帖子

回復 185# moments 的帖子

moments

The English Tuition Centre contacts will pm to you separately.

The summer programs my son attended are limited and with certain primary focus, like creativity, problem solving and application of Maths in different fields like Finance and Science etc. So pls treat this as examples and you can search more programs through internet. I also summarise some tips in searching gifted programs in the following recommendations:

1. Stanford University - EPGY Summer Institute

http://epgy.stanford.edu/summer/

a. My son attended middle school program - Creative Problem Solving at G6, age 11. I strongly recommend parents to apply through internet directly to EPGY (Education Program for Gifted Youth) and no need through HK agent, they are not helpful from my past experience.

b. Two years ago, EPGY had an International Summer Program in Imperial College, London and Ching Hua, Beijing respectively. We applied for that but my son was too young and turned down by EPGY. Ironically, he was accepted by Imperial College for the same summer program in the same summer through STEM and I will introduce that later.

c. EPGY also provides Creative Writing and other English, Science programs and Sports Camp.

2. Imperial College Summer School

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/outre ... llege/summerschools

The details will be announced in early Spring 2011. My son attended two programs - Problem Solving and From Invention to Market (Business & Marketing). The also provide programs like Forsenic Science, Space Science etc....

My son first sit for the World Class Tests in HKUST as per the following link and passed with double Distinctions in both Problem Solving and Maths.

http://www.worldclassarena.hk/en/goforWCT/studentsTake.htm

Then you will be eligible for the Imperial College Gifted and Talented STEM World Summer Progam. If you want to take the program in HK under HKUST, you can also join the John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) Summer Programs. John Hopkins is more famous in gifted and talented programs than Stanford in USA, JH also the first University provided Talent Search Tests nationally and internationally.

http://www.worldclassarena.hk/en/doWCT/Related.htm

3. NAGTY - National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth, UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat ... _and_Talented_Youth

I can't find the new link of the website. We applied that simultaneously with EPGY, we declinded that finally. But, they only served the family as British Citizens and Residents.

4. Voluntary Services

You can contact your kids' school(s) or the website of NGO, there are many programs in long holidays, not just summer. But some of them request you join as a family and not just the kid(s).

The programs mentioned above more on gifted programs (Not just limited in Maths, they also provided English, Science, Business and Sports programs) and with some international exposures, we utilised that as training tool to develop my son's independence and be ready to study aboard. The last but not the least, "so many elites in the world", make him to be humble.

From last summer onward, we shift the focus of summer programs to university admission and career selection. I mentioned that in other thread(s) to position him to get into his favourite programs either in HK or overseas.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-1-18 20:23 編輯 ]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 11-1-18 17:42 |顯示全部帖子
Hi ANChan59,

Thanks very much for the information.  My daughter is not particularly strong in Math but she is enthusiastic in English.  I hope I can find some suitable summer program for her this year and let her explore her interest.

Thanks!

moments

發表於 11-1-18 20:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 moments 於 11-1-18 17:42 發表
Hi ANChan59,

Thanks very much for the information.  My daughter is not particularly strong in Math but she is enthusiastic in English.  I hope I can find some suitable summer program for her this yea ...

The summer schools/institutes mentioned in the above also have English Program. Check it out and you can find something interesting.

發表於 11-1-29 00:07 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 easy 於 11-1-16 12:01 發表
ANChan,

Glad to know your son will enter the 2nd round -Challenge Day.  

easy

My son got the invitation for Challenge Day this afternoon. See how far he can go.........

發表於 11-1-29 15:40 |顯示全部帖子
ANChan,

Congratulations!
Add oil !
:-P

發表於 11-1-29 17:30 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 easy 於 11-1-29 15:40 發表
ANChan,
Congratulations!
Add oil !

easy

Thanks for your congratulation. Let's add oil for our boys......

This morning met with my boy's academic advisor, the advisor's comments on him are positive and he integrated well in the Pre-IB classess.

Most of his subjects are "proficient" and language subjects are "developing" and need more hardwork to get better grade.

The comments and remarks on individual subjects are valid and useful. He needs to digest those comments and formulate his improvement plan for the next semister.

As both subject masters in both English and Chinese languages are in IB workshops outside HK. We may discuss with them after CNY.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-1-29 17:32 編輯 ]

發表於 11-2-9 21:26 |顯示全部帖子
Hi ANChan59,  

Could you please also PM me the tutorial details?  Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

發表於 11-2-10 10:18 |顯示全部帖子
Hi AN Chan, I am a student from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. I want to know whether you could receive my PM.
Wish you a happy new year!

發表於 11-2-10 17:20 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 開心義工 於 11-2-10 10:18 發表
Hi AN Chan, I am a student from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. I want to know whether you could receive my PM.
Wish you a happy new year!

Yes, you can PM me.
Same to you.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-2-10 17:26 編輯 ]

發表於 11-2-13 23:46 |顯示全部帖子

回復 194# ANChan59 的帖子

I have just PM you. Could you get it?
Thank you!

發表於 11-2-14 12:22 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 開心義工 於 11-2-13 23:46 發表
I have just PM you. Could you get it?
Thank you!

I got it and it sounds interesting to me.

I will call you within today.

發表於 11-2-14 13:37 |顯示全部帖子
My son finished the Challenge Day yesterday, you can see the "Challenge" in separate post.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-2-14 14:18 編輯 ]

發表於 11-2-23 12:08 |顯示全部帖子
Hi ANChan59.

Please could you kindly PM the details of ENG tutorial class to me.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
LadyShaLALA

發表於 11-3-13 00:19 |顯示全部帖子

《解構IB課程》

Go to page 8.

http://paper.smp.singtao.com/?hr ... 1&view=document

發表於 11-3-27 22:27 |顯示全部帖子
Can anybody know the entrance requirements of Faculty of Law in HKU,CUHK and City U using IBDP qualification ? Pls share.

Thanks.