密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS  

發表於 15-6-23 11:55 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 wilsonyeung813 的帖子

Wilson, after a year in HKU, what's your comment on the IB program give better preparation to the university and acquire more or better knowledge?
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 15-7-30 21:27 |顯示全部帖子
wilsonyeung813 發表於 15-7-24 15:25
Ya IB is really useful for uni prep. ESP for social science, there are lots of essays / mini researc ...
Great, good for you.

發表於 16-4-5 20:21 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 JB2003 的帖子

Those info are outdated. You better ask other parents.

發表於 16-7-27 16:26 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 workingmom 的帖子

My two cents:

1. JUPAS 收生分數要公開披露,為保名聲 ,院校都不願收DSE低分學生,空位都由Non-JUPAS 學生補上。

NJ students come from different backgrounds, like AD, HD, graduates, GCEAL, IB, BTEC, SAT, AP  etc. Some NJ candidates had proper qualifications to get CO or UCO before HKDSE released the exam results, no need to mention JUPAS results, your last phrase is incorrect.

You can imagine the complexity, how to present the table of NJ results? 1st class honour of Cambridge, is it the same as XX University in Philippines? So GPA, 3.5 from the former one is weaker than the 4.0 from the latter university ....???

For AD or HD, different students from different colleges or IVE, have the same GPA may have different portfolio of electives and majors, how to present in a table.

Is it mean the admission office don't have data ? No, they have, but difficult to present.

If you have time, you can look at the DSE admission score tables, different University has different presentation, different weighting of cores and electives. Sometimes we need to read the small print very carefully.

2. 香港IB 狀元 = 18/2000 = ~1%
    DSE 狀元 = 4/66000 = ~0.01%

I am not sure its a fair comparison or not, DSE based on the total number of students, but IB just use the number of HK students. I suggest to use the total population of both cases, 300000+ instead of 2000. ~0.3%.

Use medical school as reference, JUPAS top 1.5% can get in, no need to have 狀元 ..... for NJ, normally top 0.5%. 狀元 is not a good comparison in elite and most programs.

4. Non-JUPAS 報名是以大學為單位,不同大學個別收生,互不影響。學生可同時有數個offer, 慢慢再揀院校。

I explained in (1), as NJ is for other qualifications outside HKDSE, most universities and programs need to evaluate the students results and performance case by case, like a graduate from Bio-Tech and apply for MBBS, not just the grades but also related to credit exemptions. Similar case for HD and AD, depends on the overall GPA and strength of individual subjects, students can have credit exemption and can get into 2nd year or 3rd year.

Off course you can hold more than one offer, but you need to pay HK$10,000 per offer. I only paid once for insurance offer.

If you really interested in the difference between JUPAS and NJ admissions, go to any university's information day, listen to the two seminars and ask right questions, you will have correct info to make correct decision. Too many false and or twisted info in EK about NJ.

In those seminars, most of your questions are explained in details.

發表於 16-8-17 13:18 |顯示全部帖子
slamai 發表於 16-8-17 13:10
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

"Use medical school as reference, JUPAS top 1.5% can get in ..... for NJ, norm ...
I attended the information day of CUHK for three years, in the MBChB sessions, the professors in charge of admission shown that in the presentations.

It's applicable for CUHK only, for HKU, NJ can be lower than 0.5%.

點評

slamai  Thanks  發表於 16-8-17 13:35

發表於 17-4-13 02:16 |顯示全部帖子
My son will complete QFin within a few weeks, I will spend some time to write up the observations and comments from my son related to IB curriculum and learning style in the university.

發表於 17-8-28 18:12 |顯示全部帖子
NLa 發表於 17-8-28 17:28
Dear AnChan 59,
I would like to have the details of the tutorial centres, pls pm me as well. Thx

Sorry, those info are outdated, I don’t want to mislead you.

發表於 18-7-23 19:00 |顯示全部帖子
After a few years, the current admission scores of elite programs are very very high, even more difficult than JUPAS admission.

Even general programs the threshold admission score close to 36/45.

Also in EK, we shared more in 36+ admission scenario, but less parents shared about the actual score below 36/45. It's not easy and lack of detail info.