樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS  

發表於 11-9-28 23:27 |顯示全部帖子

Info about IB from Sevenoaks School

Why Study the IB?

The IB diploma provides a better preparation for:

1. University
19% of IB entrants achieved a first-class honours degree, compared to 14.5% with A-Level or equivalent.*
IB students are almost twice as likely to study medicine and dentistry: 5.1% compared to 2.9% of A-Level.*

2. Life
With its explicit Learner Profile and core set of values, IB students tend to be more tolerant and open-minded, more compassionate and principled.
The diploma encourages risk-taking and reflection, so that students are more confident and creative, possessing the integrity and the skills to succeed in a global economy.

3. Living
Having studied both literature and at least one foreign language, IB students are articulate on paper and in person, making them great communicators.
The emphasis on Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) makes students appreciate the need for a healthy balance of physical and mental activity.

4. Learning
Intellectually curious, IB students are almost twice as likely as their A-Level and equivalent peers to pursue further full-time study.*
The 4,000 word Extended Essay composed as part of the diploma and the study of Theory of Knowledge promote independent and critical thinking.

5. Leadership
IB students are more likely to be employed in graduate level jobs, and enjoy higher salaries than their peers.*
Literate and numerate, linguistically and scientifically able, IB students are tremendously versatile. Ask any employer, and they will tell you that these are complementary rather than contradictory talents in today’s world.

* Research published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) in 2011.

Further Research

by Dr Gerda Frank-Gemmill. Based on 823 IB students who left Sevenoaks School between 2000 and 2007 and graduated from a UK university.

The study showed that:
They were significantly more likely to attend top universities when compared with the overall undergraduate population (96% went to Russell/1994 Group vs. 36% of all students and 35% vs. 4 % for the top 5 universities in the Times ranking).
They were significantly more likely to obtain a ‘good honours degree’ (1st or 2.1) than other undergraduates (88% vs. 51% of all students and 72% of all Russell/1994 Group graduates).
At Oxford and Cambridge their degree results were markedly better when compared with those of the overall student population. At Cambridge, 94% of Sevenoaks students obtained a First or Upper Second compared to 85% of all students, while at Oxford the figures were 98% and 91%, respectively.

The study firmly supports the view that the IB is an excellent preparation for university.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-28 23:28 編輯 ]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 11-9-29 18:03 |顯示全部帖子

Copy from another thread

回復 69# khmama 的帖子

I also heard about that and they called it 'Magic Line"......but how to draw the line, they still consider that....

I guess they will announce the detail very soon......just for HKDSE this year and for IBDP next year....

IB admission score for BBA (Should be BBA, I mixed it up with GBus. For GBus 39-42 included bonus point per Daisy Chan's info) around 33-36 excluded bonus point. After transition to HKDSE, the IB admission score will be lowered as HKDSE standard will be below IBDP......

2012 admission ofHKUST, IBDP can go for 3-yr program like HKALE, it's a good news for IB students. Their admission grades can be lower than before in 2013 onwards.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-30 13:18 編輯 ]

發表於 11-9-30 13:20 |顯示全部帖子

Copy from Daisy Chan

ANChan59,

Just like you, I orginally planned to attend the HKUST admission talk on last Sunday(25 Sept) to collect some information for non-JUPAS applicants. Fortunately, I visited the HKUST website last Friday and noted that they re-named the 25 Sept admission talks as "JUPAS" admission talks. I called the admission office and they confirmed that the only one talk on "non-JUPAS admission with international qualifications" was the one held on last Saturday at 10a.m.

So, I rescheduled my committments and attended the talk last Saturday. Here are some salient points regarding the IB qualifications that I can share with you and other parents:

(1) Although the mininum IB score quoted in their website is 30, they have never admitted any applicant with an IB score less than 32.

(2) In 2010, a total of 66 applicants with IB qualication were admitted to the HKUST Year 1 programs.

(3) The average IB score is 36.7 for HKUST and 34.3 for all the local universities.

(4) It seems that, among all the international qualifications, HKUST prefers IB most (you must agree with this, and not just for HKUST!). They has even set up a scholarship especially for IB qualification, and not other international qualifications.

發表於 11-9-30 13:21 |顯示全部帖子

Further remarks on Daisy inputs

Daisy

Thanks so much for your updated info of HKUST. You always provide some useful info about HKUST. Some quick remarks of your info

(1) Although the mininum IB score quoted in their website is 30, they have never admitted any applicant with an IB score less than 32. (Not in Buiness School, but yes in other Schools. Initially, Schools even accepted some students' IB score less than 30 and they struggled, then kicked out from the university - Info from Science and Engineering professors.)

(4) It seems that, among all the international qualifications, HKUST prefers IB most (you must agree with this, and not just for HKUST!). They has even set up a scholarship especially for IB qualification, and not other international qualifications. (From my limited info after discussing with professors from local universities, they preferred IB among international qualifications. For some traditional hot programs, they still prefer local curricullum. HKUST sets up scholarships for international qualifications, not just IB alone. For IB, they listed out the min req and schedule. Other qualifications, they just quote outstanding academic results. A professor told me that in HKUST, IB score 35 definitely will have a scholarship.)

If you don't mind, we should moved/copied our discussions to "NSS vs IB", as this post more focus on HKDSE.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-30 13:23 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-1 00:44 |顯示全部帖子

HKUST Entrance Scholarship for IB Diploma Holders

IB Diploma candidates/ holders who complete the IB Diploma requirements before September 2012 are considered for the Scholarship. Students with a final IB Total Points (including Bonus Points) of 38 or above will be awarded with the scholarship. Details are as follows:

IB Total Points - Scholarship

45 - Full tuition plus living allowance of HK$40,000; tenable for normal duration of study

42-44 - Full tuition; tenable for the first year of study

40-41 - Half tuition; tenable for the first year of study

38-39 - HK$15,000; tenable for the first year of study

Note:
2012/13 Tuition fee for local undergraduate students = HK$42,100 per academic year (subject to change)
2012/13 Tuition fee for non-local undergraduate students = HK$100,000 per academic year

Students do not have to apply for the Scholarship. All IB Diploma candidates/ holders are automatically considered for the awards. The University will select qualified students and inform the students selected for scholarship awards in due course.

In addition to the above scheme, scholarships may be offered by School/ Department. The maximum amount for 2012 entrants is HK$140,000 per annum.

http://join.ust.hk/apply/non-local/fees-and-support/scholarships

Better check the prospectus every year. Also in HK universities, sometimes they used included bonus, sometimes they don't. be careful.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-1 00:47 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-4 12:08 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 WYmom 於 11-10-4 11:19 發表
Hi, ANChan59,
Do you know if most top students choose HL or SL English A in IB if they want to choose Business faculty in universities?

WYmom

If really top students, they don't care English A, HL or SL, they will score 6-7.

I attended some admission talks in CUHK, HKU and hKUST, I have the feeling the min language requirement of English (A1/A2) HL is 4, SL is 5. As no data for English A yet, I guess they prefer HL in some Schools, like Law and not Business (Other parents correct me if i am wrong). In general, they consider the IB score first, like 38, 40..... my son's analysis (replaced original strategy) aim for highest score in languages and not taking syllabus B, so English A - SL may be a good choice for him.

We chatted with an admission officer of B School in HKUST, they are comfortable of the students from IS/ESF with good IB scores, and not specify the HL or SL for languages, but they specify the Maths must be HL for QF.

That's what i know right now. My son & wife will attend seminars in CUHK this weekend. I will remind them to ask this question.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-6 10:43 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-4 16:03 |顯示全部帖子

回復 393# WYmom 的帖子

May I ask if your son is taking HL in Maths?  
[Yes, he will.]

We are told that it is very challenging and not easy to get high scores...
[His standard is very top in his school, he scored ~90 and top 10 in the grade, so 7 is not a problem to him. His comment on Maths HL is challenging, a few of his classmates struggle at HL, may change to SL later. They aim at either QF in HK or Economics in LSE or Oxbridge, 7 in Maths HL is the min requirement.]

And, is your son also taking HL Physics?  Is it very difficult as well? Some people said that it is more difficult than HL Chem.
[Physics HL is easier than Chemistry HL to score 6-7 by % (18+11%=29% vs 17+8%=25% for 2010). Now, he is taking both Physics and Economics HL, so 4 HL. Both have high chance for 7, he tends to take Economics as HL in the future. Economics HL is 26+12%=38% for 2010]

My son study in a DSS elite school, his Maths and Science subjects is better than most IS/ESF students. English may be another story, still much better than other local schools.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-4 16:13 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-4 23:17 |顯示全部帖子

回復 395# ksenia 的帖子

Choose HL & SL not necessary just to demonstrate ability, more on strategically get better predicted scores.

發表於 11-10-4 23:28 |顯示全部帖子

回復 397# ksenia 的帖子

I suggest you check different university's language requirements, you may see very rare to specify HL in English.

If a student more Arts-focus, Group 4 and 5 may not their strength, they may pick SL, so taking HL in English due to constraints of 3HL, 3SL, of course, ability is another consideration.

For your daughter's seniors from named schools are the second best from those schools, because the best students are in Big 3 through EAS. I think you must support my remark.

發表於 11-10-4 23:31 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-10-4 23:19 發表
and please explain more on the "strategy" part

Did you check score boundaries of different subjects? If yes, you know what I mean.

發表於 11-10-6 10:37 |顯示全部帖子

回復 405# Annie123 的帖子

Still do not quite understand how to use the choice of HL/SL choice as a strategy, can you explain more?

Annie

IBDP has unique feature in HL/SL, eventually, I don't fully understand how to play around. As a dad, I wish my boy can do as many HL as possible to challenge his potential and ability. The IB coordinator and other parents always remind me don't think about that. They shared with me that University admission officer more focus on predicted or actual IB scores instead of HL/SL, unless some programs listed out specific language or special requirements. Aim for 3HL instead of 4 or 5 HL even you are capable to do that, maximise the score >> HL.

My son picked 6 subjects based on the following considerations:
1. Target programs - Pharmacy, Medicine, QF, Economics........
2. Admission grades of different programs
3. % of different grades in IB subjects, both HL/SL
4. Confidence to get max scores and margins
5. Grade boundaries of different grade and different subject

If my son is capable to take 4HL, he will consider his target programs like Medicine or Pharmacy needs Chemistry HL - 7, Economics or QF needs Maths HL - 7. Physics and Economics need to weigh, in another post, I addressed that Economics is a bit easier to score 6-7, he also feels doing eassy is easier than lab reports... timewise. He also evaluated the quality of teachers and pick the right subjects.

For Language is another issue, he must take both syllabus A and Literature and Language stream. He prefers SL to maximise the predicted score..... some of his classmates' English standard close to native and aim for Law may opt for HL...... I heard some parents said, SL may 1 grade higher than HL (I can't validate that yet...).

After this reply, I should use "Analysis" instead of "Strategy" in my previous post. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-6 10:39 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-6 20:35 |顯示全部帖子

University program and High school subjects selection

Just shared what I did for my son in previous years.

1. Exposure - from P5 onward, I brought him to visit factories in HK & China, different office/work environment, visited universities and saw their research outputs, business lunch and dinner. No specific objectives, just exposure only....

2. Internship - business, research, shadowing ...... like private hospital vs public hospital, family medicine vs surgery.... teaching vs research....... HKU vs HKPU vs CUHK....

3. Strengths vs interests - Maths is his exceptional strength, but he will not take Pure Maths or Science subjects, he is interested in economics and finance which is highly related to numbers and modelling. He loves IT, but he won't study IT (software or hardware) or take it as career......

4. Experience sharing - once he identified some areas of interest, we arrnaged some gatherings or telephone talks with "insiders" to explore the pros and cons........Always have conflcted opinions, it's upto him to validate and narrow down his options. Initially, he was interested in Pharmacy, after talking to two "insiders", he switched to medicine....

5. Elimination - most kids can't tell where to go, but they can tell where they don't want to go........ his elimination may not sensible, just gut feeling or misled by wrong info.....

1-5 not in sequencial order...... That is brainstorming, better before F4.....

Once narrow down the career options, checked the admission requirements (Language, general and special) by attending Information day and seminars, meet with further studies officers........ It's critical to pick suitable subjects and admission grades before F4.

No matter how hard we try, still have gaps....... that's what he need to improve between F4 - F6.

Different family has different ways of doing career exploration. Just sharing, no right or wrong..... no single way.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-6 20:44 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-7 11:21 |顯示全部帖子

回復 410# WYmom 的帖子

You are right. but we also struggled during his G7-G9. Once he settled down and focus more on academic and career consideration, it's the chance for you. Your case is typical, no need to worry.

Sometimes, I need to explain to him why this gathering is important, like a Chair professor of XXU in MMM Faculty will sit next to you and you can chat with him about the program you are interested in, it's up to you......... he had a good chat with the Professor and impressed him so much. A year later, he sent an email to the Professor with CV and the attachment was arranged.

Of course, he turned down some other occassions due to different reasons, like he was busy, clashes with his other engagements, not interested.........

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-7 11:22 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-9 21:12 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-10-8 11:09 發表
The IBO has cancelled A1 and A2 courses this year, in which they changed it to A Lit/A Lit & Lang. Pure literature is more difficult to get a higher grade than Literature and Language while L&L is mor ...

ksenia

Initially, I also thought Lit more advance than Lit & Lang.

After clarify with a few sources, they said both are equivalent with different emphasis. Furthermore, Lit may have more past revision & exam materials cf Lit & Lang.

You are right, L&L will be more useful than Lit only.

ANChan59

發表於 11-10-10 10:40 |顯示全部帖子

回復 415# Tommy 的帖子

Tommy

I try to answer your questions.

It seems that DBS and SPCC do not offer Business and Management for their IBD students while LPCUWC offer only SL to this subject.
[I am not sure SPCC & LPCUWC's rationale, but I know DBS offered the Business & Mgt elective before. Students didn't take it may be due to the elective not their cup of tea.]

Why don’t the elite schools offer this subject as elective?  
[DBS offers the said program before, no one take it.]

Is it less valued by Professors from the renowned universities?  
[Most business schools won't take B&M as compulsory subject. If my son take this elective will narrow down his choices of program in UG.]

Is it considered too laid back to take this subject?  
[I didn't review the syllabus and shouldn't comment on this. Some parents may have your feeling. Also a good IBDP teacher should stretch each student a bit and also consider their predicted grade.]

How do you compare the choices of this subject and Economics if someone who wants to be enrolled in a hot professional subject?
[After discussing with different professors in different occasions, they focus on predicted grades of IBDP more than individual subjects. May be other parents or insider to verify this. I further reviewed the % of students got grade 6-7 in two subjects in previous exams, no matter SL or HL, Economics is easier to get better grade, but I don't mean Economics easier than B&M. Personally, I consider Economics is more difficult than B&M.

What you mean hot professional programs? If you mean Professional Accountance, QFin......., B&M is not compulsory, and universities will adopt school-based admission, so students will take mgt in the 1st year.

For non-JUPAS in all universities, they consider applicants individually. Professors may consider the applicants a bit different from JUPAS, I guess they may prefer Economics in QFin.]

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-10-10 10:44 編輯 ]

發表於 11-10-10 16:02 |顯示全部帖子
I guess universities will treat both equally as most professors may not know the details. They only consider HL/SL (one grade difference) and mother language or not, A will be fine.

I read some assignments from my son, its interesting but not easy. Write an eassy about Post Colonialism..... Analyse an adv from newspaper - content analysis ...... Good for them in further education and career....

發表於 11-10-10 18:53 |顯示全部帖子

回復 420# Annie123 的帖子

My recommendation is sent a email to the admission officer and seek for clarification.

In email, they will explain in more detail.

發表於 11-10-11 12:51 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-10-11 06:34 發表
Actually, L&L is similar to the previous A2.

Ksenia

If we are not 100% sure about this, we shouldn't say so. Unless you have confirmation from IBO or universities.

Talking to more teachers, I have the feeling L and L&L are similar at HL/SL respectively.

ANChan59

發表於 11-10-11 14:59 |顯示全部帖子

回復 430# ksenia 的帖子

Ksenia

My point is L equivalent to L&L, not L ~ A2.

L&L half Literature and half on business communication, like advertisement etc... You can check the syllabus at SL for comparison.

ANChan59

發表於 11-10-11 16:09 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-10-11 15:53 發表
L~A1
L&L~A2
that's what the professor told me.
However, they are not exactly the same as A2 SL is a lot more easier than L&L SL

We shouldn't use A1 A2 any more. From my son's English teacher, they are all A, stand for mother language with two streams, only pure lietrature or not; as pure literature may not be so practical like L&L.....