搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Getting into Top US Universities from Overseas
發新帖
查看: 2614|回覆: 9
go

Getting into Top US Universities from Overseas [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-6-10 12:30 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
(1) Does any one know  whether there  is an equal  chance for an US citizen in HK (studies  in US curriculum IS )  to get in a top US university as the US local students ?  

(2) Would the US top universities' entry quotas be fewer for overseas US citizens ?

(3) Would the chance be higher to get in a top US university if going back to US for high school ?

Many thanks for your inputs !
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-6-10 12:36 |只看該作者
As I know,

1) Yes, because you are not in the international students category

2) I don't really know but I doubt it as I don't think they divide US students as 'local' and 'overseas'

3) Actually I would say if you are already studying in an US curriculum IS in Hong Kong, the chance is pretty much the same. But of course, if you get into US high schools like Andover, Exeter etc. , your chance is definitely higher.

原帖由 pinkrose 於 10-6-10 12:30 發表
(1) Does any one know  whether there  is an equal  chance for an US citizen in HK (studies  in US curriculum IS )  to get in a top US university as the US local students ?  

(2) Would the US top univ ...

3#
發表於 10-6-11 14:03 |只看該作者
Thank you arielle.w for your info !

4#
發表於 10-6-13 23:08 |只看該作者
any tips to get into these top high school?

原帖由 arielle.w 於 10-6-10 12:36 發表
if you get into US high schools like Andover, Exeter etc.

5#
發表於 10-6-14 10:47 |只看該作者
I daren't say I got tips as I'm still a high school students hoping to get into those schools. But looking at my friends' cases of getting into those top US schools, I think the gist is SAT scores, wide-range of ECAs(plus achievements) and it would be best to have have legacy. Good academic result is just the least requirement.

原帖由 andykwan 於 10-6-13 23:08 發表

6#
發表於 10-6-14 10:50 |只看該作者
oh hold on, you were asking about high schools?

If you're talking about top high schools in US, then you increase your chance by applying early (most ideally the start of high school career). Do go to the school's reception in Hong Kong. This gives you a chance to talk to the admission officer or even meet the principal. If the parents know alumni from the school their kids are applying, you actually stand a better chance. And of course, academice results, SSAT/SAT scores and ECAs also count.

原帖由 andykwan 於 10-6-13 23:08 發表

7#
發表於 10-6-16 11:32 |只看該作者
Hi Arielle w,

For my 2nd question, I also agree with you that probably they won't put overseas and local US students in 2 seperate groups, as both are US citizen.   But, do you think the ECAs or volunteer works taken from HK carry equal weight as those done in US   ?

8#
發表於 10-6-16 23:18 |只看該作者
As I know, admission officers don't judge any activites/service/achievements of a student's based on the location. Instead, they judge them by quality. Like for ECAs, they don't care WHERE you carry out your activities, but they care about your actual participation (e.g. how many years you have engaged in this activity) and the level of it. (whether you are just amateur, school player or like national player) And for service, they also care about the quality - your participation(real or just making it sound great), how broad the effect on people is (e.g. is it a big service project with 100 people or just you, who you are helping, how effective your help is)  

原帖由 pinkrose 於 10-6-16 11:32 發表
Hi Arielle w,

For my 2nd question, I also agree with you that probably they won't put overseas and local US students in 2 seperate groups, as both are US citizen.   But, do you think the ECAs or volu ...

9#
發表於 10-6-17 06:52 |只看該作者
Thank you Arielle w. !

10#
發表於 10-6-19 01:07 |只看該作者
thanks for your answer.

i am planing for my daughter's path only... in future, i  hope she can get enrolled in high schools like Lowell in SF and have better chance to get into top tier Universities.

i will word hard for her study in HK first.

原帖由 arielle.w 於 10-6-14 10:50 發表
oh hold on, you were asking about high schools?

If you're talking about top high schools in US, then you increase your chance by applying early (most ideally the start of high school career). Do go t ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題