用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Anyone studying in YCIS (Yew Chung)?
發新帖
查看: 4105|回覆: 12
go

Anyone studying in YCIS (Yew Chung)?

發表於 10-6-8 12:36 |顯示全部帖子
I am thinking to apply YCIS play group for my BB. Possibly, I want my BB to study in YCIS till high school.
Is there any comment from parents who have kids studying in YCIS?

發表於 10-6-9 15:31 |顯示全部帖子
我係今年耀中中學o既畢業生.
讀耀中比其他國際學校可能優勝之處就係中文程度唔會太差,低年班o既時候會主張講國語同訓練寫作技巧,而高年班就會讀唔同o既文學作品.
不過你要有心理準備,雖說師資唔差,差唔多每一位老師都有double master degrees,但係識唔識教書係另一回事.而點解會有咁o既情況?原因係老師o既離職率每一年都好高,平均一年走十個,請返黎o既有o的真係零經驗,尤其係IB老師.
近兩年,耀中收得愈黎愈多外藉學生,有泰藉,亦有歐美藉,但係都不足以去"補救"佢香港學生人數眾多o既比率.可能佢會同你講,我地收好多非本地生,但絕大部份,尤其呢兩年,都係內地生.不過佢呢種講法同大學一樣o者,的確,內地生係非本地生.
上課形式各有不同,視乎不同老師而定.有o的好嚴謹,俾好多功課;亦有好輕鬆;甚至會有老師大半堂走左出去沖咖啡唔返黎(高form會出現);當然,亦有o的亦師亦友o既教學方法,上堂都可以好開心.
學生英文水平可以差好遠,有o的會覺得寫一篇英文作文都好吃力,但亦有o的o既英文程度連外藉老師都要讚口不絕.
今年係耀中第一年開辦pre-IB課程,至於IB課程,已經開辦多年,經驗十足,並且將會為香港之334新制度作出配合,將七年中學改為六年.

總之,其實要視乎小朋友有冇心讀書,因為國際學校o既氣氛總括黎講比較輕鬆,可以名列前茅咁一直讀上去,亦都可以渾渾噩噩咁就完成課程.

ps,遲o的8月頭應該會有講座,會請學生代表返去講,或者你可以考慮去聽下.

發表於 10-6-9 15:47 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks Wan628.  I for one welcome your participation.

原帖由 wan628 於 10-6-9 15:31 發表
我係今年耀中中學o既畢業生.
不過你要有心理準備,雖說師資唔差,差唔多每一位老師 ...

發表於 10-6-9 21:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wan628 於 10-6-9 15:31 發表
我係今年耀中中學o既畢業生.
不過你要有心理準備,雖說師資唔差,差唔多每一位老師 ...

Dear Wan628

Thanks for your commet.
I have below questions:

1. High turnover rate of teachers and different quality of teachers: other IS have the same problem?

2. English level: students' english level vary alot, do you mean students who study all along from YC kindergarden to Secondary? Or those who are from other schools in kindergarden and primary? Your comment is important to me, as YC mentioned in the intro session that they set a high entry requirement for secondary students.

3. Do you think, at the sage, a student who study in IS learn less when compared to a student to study in HK traditional school? I mean less knowledge. I heard from friends that a student who studied in IS found it difficult to catch up when he transfered to a HK traditional school. Do you have any comment?

Thanks!

發表於 10-6-9 22:52 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 4# fatcni 的文章

1. i honestly have no idea of whats going on in other IS :(

2. there are two main types of students in yew chung, one of the would be students returning from abroad, most of them have strong accents and do write fairly well (or course there are outstanding ones and the awkard ones); while the rest would be the ones who have been in yew chung forever, some of them do have a solid english base, but some of them do struggle with basic english.
but recently there are more and more students from mainland, they work very hard, they write pages after pages, but they may not speak as well.

3. i dont see the point of drawing comparisons b/w IS and local schools (ive been in both, as a matter of fact), their curriculums are just different.

發表於 11-1-18 15:20 |顯示全部帖子
Hi wan628,

Does it mean that outstanding IB results are mostly got by those returning students rather that those studying in YC forever? My son is in YC Nursery, we are thinking whether we should let him continue or change to another IB school (啓思附幼)? I would like to know good English cannot be acquired thru YC learning? Thanks!!

發表於 11-1-20 10:59 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# fatcni 的帖子

I understand some parents choose YC because it is a thru train school system to secondary and Pre-U. Parents hope they would only do the school shopping adventure once till their kids graduate from secondary. I am one of those.

I live across street at YC and my elder daughter used to study in YC since nursery till she completed year 4 in primary and my younger one also spent 2 years in there. wan628 comments for YC was very true , especially for the high turn over rate of Chinese teachers and students from mainland. That was my impression for YC  4-5 years ago.

Acadamically, YC is ok in the primary especially in the Chinese curriculum. They have some good teachers in nursery, kindergarden and primary.

For secondary, try to visit their open day and see the facilities and the students there. I was  disappointed a few years ago.

As a neighbour, what I can observe is YC  parents freqently do triple parking and block the road without considering the traffic outside the secondary campus. It matters to me since I care about the quality of the parents as that will affect the quality of the education if the school is customer oriented, and if the school is unable to manage that.

One of the many reasons I decided to leave YC was I would like  my kids to experience a complete  school life. it includes  the opportunity to participate in  various extra curricular activities and team sports, ideally  in the same campus, which YC is weak of. U need to pay to participate in some simple extra-curricular activities, and need to go across the busy  street to a different campus. Money is not an issue but the spirit is.

The school just does not allocate much resources in there. Those activities are operated under another entity associated with the school.

But as I said in other threads, it really depends on what kind of choices U have and what is your expectation and your plan afterward. It is not a bad idea to use as a transition but not good enough as  a permanent solution.

Good luck!

[ 本帖最後由 acdad 於 11-1-20 11:05 編輯 ]

發表於 11-1-20 13:00 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks acdad for the valuable info and I heard of the bad and good of YC and it is good to hear from true parents.

I am thinking to let my kid to have PN and or kinder there and do you think it is OK to apply other Int'l school (say ESF, CIS or CDNIS) for Year 1 if my kid study PN and kinder in YC. THANKS!!!!

發表於 11-1-21 01:23 |顯示全部帖子

回復 8# YMCAkids 的帖子

Don't really have info to answer this one. But I have a question, why choose YC (Kowloon Tong) but both  CDNIS and CIS are at HK side? CIS also has Reception program for year 4. Have U tried? And why would U pick IB schools?

發表於 11-1-21 08:23 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 11-1-21 11:14 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks acdad!

Actually I am still struggling between local school stream or IB school (or international school).

I want my kid to study CHinese well but prefer the teaching style of Int'l school.

so difficule to make a decision!

發表於 11-1-21 11:30 |顯示全部帖子

回復 10# yykm1231 的帖子

One of my friend (ex-YC parent as well) talked to a YC Chinese teacher a few years ago. The message he got was the salary of Chinese teachers  are comparatively much  lower than those in ESF. I am not sure if that is the cause of that . But anyway, some  Chinese teachers in YC who  taught my daugthers  a few years ago still work there.

發表於 11-1-21 11:59 |顯示全部帖子

回復 11# YMCAkids 的帖子

That is actually what most Chinese parents in this forum want, which is very reasonable and basic.

Does anyone know any local school which can offer the same things without stuffing the students for a few hours homeworks daily and tests?