用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Norwegian International School - the best kept secre ...
發新帖
查看: 9212|回覆: 13
go

Norwegian International School - the best kept secret in HK!

發表於 10-6-8 10:07 |顯示全部帖子
I have 2 boys, one is studying at NIS, the other has gone on to RCHK for secondary school. Both have had a truely wonderful time at NIS. It's a small school and has all the benefits of a small school. The teachers are great, really nurturing, encouraging and great with kids. Christian values are interwinded into the children's everyday life. Parents are supportive of the school. Students are brought up in a positive learning environment. It's truely impressive how the teachers can really instill the love of learning in their students. I mean, it's easy to shout out all those grand statements about your school's vision, mission etc. but to actually believe in what you say, and to be able to implement what you believe in, is what many schools fail to do, in my opinion anyway. My boys are happy - they actually look forward to going to school on a Monday morning!And I have seen many students when they first came to NIS, they brought with them their miserable experience at their previous school, they were dispirited, their self esteem battered; and yet 2 months later they really beam! For many parents NIS has almost worked magic on their kids. The truth is, it's not magic, it's the heart that NIS teachers put into teaching, it's the readiness of the teachers to understand and respect the individuality of each student. It's the flexibility of the system which allows a fast student to move ahead in a faster pace, or a not-so-fast student to pursue knowledge at a pace appropriate for him.

After 5 years my sons have become very attached to NIS. Unfortunately it's the last year at NIS for my younger one as in Sept he has to move on to a secondary school, ICHK, which I believe is another good school. Fortunately our PE teacher, who has been a great sports teacher and mentor to both my son for years, will also be teaching ASA sports at ICHK. So the spirit of NIS will carry on!

I am very happy for NIS and for all its students because WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A SECONDARY SCHOOL! I have been looking forward to this great news since my sons joined the school 5 years ago and at last, this is going to happen! And I really think NIS deserves it better than any other international school in HK to develop a secondary section. I hope the Spirit of NIS will continue to guide our children when they move on to secondary school. Neither of my sons can benefit from it though, unfortunately, because of the timeframe. But still I know my sons have been very lucky to have had such a happy, fulfilled childhood.

It really makes a difference when teachers put their heart to it. I, for one, would forever be grateful to NIS.

發表於 10-6-10 00:57 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

發表於 10-6-10 23:23 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks Renee! Just want to share what I know..

發表於 10-6-11 16:30 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks for the sharing.  I've read its homepage and are quite interested in it.  I found that there is no school bus for areas outside Tai Po/Shatin.  Is it true now?

What is its curriculum (UK/US/IB, etc) and wehre can I know its public exam results (e.g. SAT) or universities that their graduates can get in?  Any Chinese language sessions?

When should I submit my application if I want to appy for its K1 and P1?   

It doesn't mention its new secondary school in the website.

Thanks a lot.

原帖由 kristyjim 於 10-6-10 23:23 發表
Thanks Renee! Just want to share what I know..

發表於 10-6-11 19:41 |顯示全部帖子
I heard that its children will go to a secondary school in Sha Tau Kok together with other schools like Hong Lok Yuen Int'l and Japanese Intl as well.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

發表於 10-6-11 20:43 |顯示全部帖子
Here is the website of the secondary school, ICHK.

http://www.ichk.edu.hk/content/default.aspx

brgds,

原帖由 Mighty 於 10-6-11 19:41 發表
I heard that its children will go to a secondary school in Sha Tau Kok together with other schools like Hong Lok Yuen Int'l and Japanese Intl as well.

發表於 10-6-12 02:38 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Buu, Mighty, thanks for your message!

NIS follows the UK curriculum for English and Maths, and adopts the IPC curriculum for Science, Geography, History, Society and Arts. It has Mandarin classes (teaching traditional characters) 4 days per week - at 2 ability levels, for native Chinese speakers and those from a non-Chinese background. Of course there are also Music and PE lessons. All examinations are internal exams only, so there are no public exams results to look up, I don't think. However, I think the overall academic standard should at least be par with those of other international / ESF schools. Most of the students in my son's class have got into either ICHK or RCHK this year, one got an offer of scholarship from RCHK.

Information about the IPC curriculum can be found in the following website:
http://www.internationalprimarycurriculum.com/

At present it offers classes only up to Grade 6 only(it starts at Playgroup), but 2 weeks ago, we received the announcement from the school board and principal that they are in the process of planning for a Grade 7 class in the 2012/2013 school year, with an additional secondary class each year thereafter. The location of the secondary school as well as the curriculum have yet to be finalised though.

ICHK was established as a result of the collaboration between Hong Lok Yuen Int'l School, Japanese Int'l School and Kingston Int'l School so admission priority is given to students from these 3 schools. However because NIS is in the same precinct, they also like to accept NIS students (of course they still have to pass their entrance exam.) When NIS offers its Grade 7 class in Sept 2012, I think most students would opt to stay on. The establishment of a secondary school is actually a direct response to the expressed wish of many parents in NIS.

As to school bus, I don't know much about it to be honest, as my son has been taking public transport for the last 3 years. But I think it's unlikely that it offers many routes, given that it is a small school. I will call in the school office next Monday and ask about that for you.

If you are interested to apply to NIS (K1 or P1), I think you can apply any time. They do have a waiting list for some grades but I know they welcome applications the whole year round.

One thing I forgot to mention is that we have a really lovely campus both for our kindergarten and primary section. The kindergarten is housed in an old colonial house up the small hill along wong Fuk Road in Tai Po. It's surrounded by trees and has a beautiful playground. Parents love it a much as their children! The primary campus is also in Tai Po, but tucked in the quiet valley near Kam Shan Village, with ample space for sports and for children to run around.

Anyway I hope I have answered some of your questions. If there's anything else you would like to know, I'll try my best to answer!

Sorry about the length of this reply!

Kristy

發表於 10-6-15 17:39 |顯示全部帖子
2012 will have secondary school?  Do you know where it will be?!

發表於 10-6-15 18:56 |顯示全部帖子
Hi kristyjim,

The introduction of NIS is really impressed me. But it seems not much information/knowledge about the "IPC" when compare with "IB". Can you give us more info.?

Thanks a lot.

發表於 10-6-18 14:22 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# DearDaniel 的文章

Once I received their rejection letter last night, I feel really shock
that how could the teacher determine the entry by a test to a kid who
have "Attention Disorder".  The school has been saying do have pastoral
care, however, the teacher even doesn't know how difficult to an AD kid
in paying his all attention on papers for over an hour.  I can't find
the teacher was nurturing, encouraging....as she even didn't give him a trial.

The school also stated itself is a "Christian" school, where is "Love"?
In this case, the school seem never thought about how desperate for parents of an AD kid?!  Where are their Christian values?  They even didnt give me a chance face-to-fcae interview.  I have to spread to my friend who introducing, to understand how hurt to my son; this impact is even bigger than bullying.

發表於 10-6-19 00:20 |顯示全部帖子
I am really sorry to hear about your experience. It's really hard on the parents, I know, and sometimes it seems so unfair. I had similar experience before and it made me so angry  too. You see, although my son is just as bright as any other child, he is dyslexic, so his spelling is terrible, and his hand written work often illegible. It doesn't mean, however, that he can't write. He has good ideas and actually he can write just as well as anybody;  he is creative, he works hard, he is motivated, I mean basically he is a good student. And actually if you'd let him type out his work on a computer, most of these problems would be gone anyway. But unfortunately  most schools couldn't see beyond his dyslexia,  they didn't want him, they rejected his applications. I know it's more to do with the limited resources that the schools have, rather than a case of penalising my son, but still, it felt really unfair.

Anyway, I have heard from someone working in child psychiatry that Creative Primary School is supportive of children with ADHD. Perhaps you could make an enquiry there? Also I heard advice from parents that if a child with ADHD is taking medication and isn't having serious problem in class, you don't even need to mention it in your application. The objective is to get in first, and then deal with the problem after you have got in.

發表於 10-10-5 14:07 |顯示全部帖子
I'm interested in this school and wanna aply for my 2 years old boy.  Knowing that they interview will be scheduled in Feb/Mar every year, can any of you shared what will be doing in the interview?  Is there any interview session for parents as well?  Or, only for kids?  What about the English level?  If they request native in term of English level?  I think chance is not good because they just have one K1 class and will just take 1x students....

發表於 10-10-7 17:24 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Kotjoanna,

First of all, I've no connection with NIS.  Not just NIS rejecting parents like you.  There are a few too, please be understanding that the schools don't have enough resources to handle kids need extra attention/ assistance.

Or I may suggest you appraoch the school again in a sincere way; as I've learnt a case, the school finally accepts the kid but the parents made a lot of efforts to get in. I don't mean by 'connection', the attitude of the parents.

Good luck.

YauMum

原帖由 kotjoanna 於 10-6-18 14:22 發表
Once I received their rejection letter last night, I feel really shock
that how could the teacher determine the entry by a test to a kid who
have "Attention Disorder".  The school has been saying do h ...

發表於 10-10-8 00:02 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽