搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF kinder admission
發新帖
查看: 2745|回覆: 14
go

ESF kinder admission

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-26 11:24 |顯示全部帖子
What will the interview be like? What kind of quiz would that be? Was it difficult to get in? Can anyone share your experience.  Thx.

發表於 10-5-26 16:04 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lsftsang 於 10-5-26 11:24 發表
What will the interview be like? What kind of quiz would that be? Was it difficult to get in? Can anyone share your experience.  Thx.

There is no formal interview for ESF kindy.  They invite students to play visits according to the Categories and admission priorities.  It's just children playing, while observed by class teachers and special ed teachers to make sure the child's development is appropriate and the english proficiency is ok for ESF kindy.

This is how it was this year... things might change... you never know.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-26 17:25 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-26 16:04 發表

There is no formal interview for ESF kindy.  They invite students to play visits according to the Categories and admission priorities.  It's just children playing, while observed by class teachers  ...

Thanks.  May I know how many years are with ESF kinder? Is that only K1 and K2 like other IS? After kinder, what class will be with ESF kinder?

發表於 10-5-27 11:43 |顯示全部帖子
2 years for ESF kindy... then children apply for ESF primary/ Renaissance / DB College or other IS.

Do you mean after local kindergarten?  Agewise, after local kindergarten, children are Grade 2 in IS.

[ 本帖最後由 lottieclee 於 10-5-27 11:44 編輯 ]

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-27 12:23 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-27 11:43 發表
2 years for ESF kindy... then children apply for ESF primary/ Renaissance / DB College or other IS.

Do you mean after local kindergarten?  Agewise, after local kindergarten, children are Grade 2 in I ...

Thanks.  Do u know whether it's easy to get into ESF primary / Renaissance / DB College or other IS after guaduating from the 2-year ESF kinders? I'm worrying I have to switch my kid back to local if no IS take him after guadating from ESF kinders.

發表於 10-5-27 16:32 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lsftsang 於 10-5-27 12:23 發表

Thanks.  Do u know whether it's easy to get into ESF primary / Renaissance / DB College or other IS after guaduating from the 2-year ESF kinders? I'm worrying I have to switch my kid back to local i ...

We are going to Abacus.  According to the principal there, 100% of their students go to ESF and IS.  However, you should note that almost all Abacus students are Cat 1 and 1/3 of them have siblings in the ESF system already.

Being in an ESF kindy from K1 gives you priority to interview.  There's no guarantee for a through-train.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-27 18:05 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-27 16:32 發表

We are going to Abacus.  According to the principal there, 100% of their students go to ESF and IS.  However, you should note that almost all Abacus students are Cat 1 and 1/3 of them have siblings  ...

That's the thing I am worrying.  First, we not not going to Abacus but only TY campus. Second, we are not Cat 1 nor there's any sibling.  If ESF primary cannot get all its ESF kinders, where would they go?

發表於 10-5-27 21:24 |顯示全部帖子
With ESF, you'd always have to have a back-up plan.  You would have to apply to other IS too.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-27 23:05 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-27 21:24 發表
With ESF, you'd always have to have a back-up plan.  You would have to apply to other IS too.

Was it competitive in other IS as compared to local schools?

發表於 10-5-28 08:23 |顯示全部帖子
Competition is fierce.  Your child not only need to be proficient in english, smart... and most school require to pay a debenture.  You need to be prepared to pay the debenture.... I personally prefer those schools that do not allow debenture trading.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-5-28 12:15 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-28 08:23 發表
Competition is fierce.  Your child not only need to be proficient in english, smart... and most school require to pay a debenture.  You need to be prepared to pay the debenture.... I personally prefer ...

How much and how often is to pay for the debenture?  Can u sell them? Could u tell me more about it and which IS require to pay? Do ESF schools require debenture?  You said competition to IS primary is fierce.  Would that be a lot of kinder kids fail to get into IS and require to switch back to local schools?

發表於 10-5-28 22:28 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lsftsang 於 10-5-28 12:15 發表

How much and how often is to pay for the debenture?  Can u sell them? Could u tell me more about it and which IS require to pay? Do ESF schools require debenture?  You said competition to IS primary ...

Competition is fierce because most children applying to a particular IS Year 1 are already going to their reception classes.

You would have to look at the website of the school of your choice.  FIS and GSIS, for example, only allow parents to buy debentures once the child is offered a place, at fixed price for everyone entering that year.  CIS and HKIS, on the otherhand, have tradable debentures, treating debentures like stock, so their prices tend to be higher than face value.  SIS has depreciating debentures, meaning that you won't get your money back at all, even if your child leaves school.

If you are really going the IS path, I suggest you look at every single international school website and decide which one you want, the the school culture that you prefer.

發表於 10-5-28 23:00 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-27 16:32 發表

We are going to Abacus.  According to the principal there, 100% of their students go to ESF and IS.  However, you should note that almost all Abacus students are Cat 1 and 1/3 of them have siblings  ...

is yr child also in Cat 1? or has yr child got siblings in ESF?

what do u think the disciplines in Abacus?

what's yr comment of the school?

do u know how many students who are in Cat 2 and has no siblings in Abacus K1?

發表於 10-5-29 08:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 flyflyedu 於 10-5-28 23:00 發表

is yr child also in Cat 1? or has yr child got siblings in ESF?

what do u think the disciplines in Abacus?

what's yr comment of the school?

do u know how many students who are in Cat 2 and has  ...

Yes... we are in Cat 1, priority 4.  I went to and taught in the ESF system.  Discipline... like any other IS, but a little tighter than Tutortime.  I like Abacus because it's a small village school, much like schools in US and UK.  As far as i know, there isn't any Cat 2 students without siblings in Abacus last year and this year.  Frances, the principal said they have 90 - 100% Cat 1 students there.

發表於 10-5-29 22:36 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-5-29 08:18 發表

Yes... we are in Cat 1, priority 4.  I went to and taught in the ESF system.  Discipline... like any other IS, but a little tighter than Tutortime.  I like Abacus because it's a small village school ...

thanks for yr reply.