密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 問英文 - use of adjective
查看: 4984|回覆: 27
go

問英文 - use of adjective [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-4-26 11:03 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
adjective 有時用 ing form, 有時要用 ed form.  請問幾時用 ing form, 幾時用 ed form.
仔仔老師說形容生物就用 ing fom, 形容死物就用 ed form.
有些不明, 跟據以下說法 : an interesting book 就無問題.  但係 an interested cat 就不對了.

any one can help?
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-4-26 11:40 |只看該作者
The meaning of the word 'interesting' is very differnt from the word 'interested'.

An interesting cat means the cat has caught your attention. (maybe the cat is doing something unusual or funny).

An interested cat means that something has caught the cat's attention. (may be someone is showing the cat a fish).

I doubt VERY MUCH about using this "生物就用 ing fom, 形容死物就用 ed form" rule. Even if this rule does exists, I am sure there will be plenty exceptions. To learn a language by rules is just not very effective.

If you read enough books, you will know when to use 'ing' and when to use 'ed'.

原帖由 heiB 於 10-4-26 11:03 發表
adjective 有時用 ing form, 有時要用 ed form.  請問幾時用 ing form, 幾時用 ed form.
仔仔老師說形容生物就用 ing fom, 形容死物就用 ed form.
有些不明, 跟據以下說法 : an interesting book 就無問題.  但係 an ...

3#
發表於 10-4-26 12:00 |只看該作者

回覆 1# nadal 的文章

Do you mean thate are no rules on using the 'ing' form or 'ed' form?  We just learn it from reading enough books?  I find it difficult to teach children about this.

4#
發表於 10-4-26 12:28 |只看該作者
What I mean is rules are guidelines only.

You yourself have already raised an exception to this "生物就用 ing fom, 形容死物就用 ed form" rule, right ?

Maybe this rule does apply to many cases but there will always be exceptions.

Rather than blindly deciding on when to use 'ing' or 'ed', I would rather teach the kid the meaning of the form 'ing' and 'ed'.

5#
發表於 10-4-26 15:21 |只看該作者
Blog主:

你出了兩題questions。

1a)  interested in  ~~~  it is a phrasal verb
1b)  interesting     ~~~  just a common adjective

2)  -ed & -ing      ~~~  這是verb+ (ed or ing) 變成
                                    participle as adjectives

6#
發表於 10-4-26 15:35 |只看該作者
this topic make me remember something I learned a century ago......

I am bored with this boring teacher.

who is alive and who is dead... ....

7#
發表於 10-4-26 16:10 |只看該作者

回覆 1# VeryHappyMum 的文章

In your sentence "I am bored with this boring teacher.", both bored and boring is adjective.
We use "bored" when we are expressing our feeling.
We use boring when we are describing the teacher (the noun)
Is my interpretation OK?

8#
發表於 10-4-26 16:21 |只看該作者
With all due respect but I think putting too much emphasis on grammar rules and jargons is precisely why people find it so hard to learn english.

You do not need to know all the fancy terms to write good proper english. You don't even need to know them, unless you are the english teacher.

What good does it make to know this is a xxx verb and that is a yyy adjective. All these terms simply confuse the kid and, more time then not, the parents.

原帖由 kiiiiiller 於 10-4-26 15:21 發表
Blog主:

你出了兩題questions。

1a)  interested in  ~~~  it is a phrasal verb
1b)  interesting     ~~~  just a common adjective

2)  -ed & -ing      ~~~  這是verb+ (ed or ing) 變成

9#
發表於 10-4-26 16:29 |只看該作者
Interesting...

Looks like the rule is correct afterall.

'ing' for the living thing... the teacher who is boring the student to death, and
'ed' for the non-living... the student who got 'killed' by the boring teacher.

原帖由 VeryHappyMum 於 10-4-26 15:35 發表
this topic make me remember something I learned a century ago......

I am bored with this boring teacher.

who is alive and who is dead... ....

10#
發表於 10-4-26 21:13 |只看該作者
請參考以下節錄自English Grammar In Use看看有否幫助?

http://access.pixa.us/images/18817847/z/Grammar-In-Use-Unit-94

access

11#
發表於 10-4-27 03:25 |只看該作者
原帖由 heiB 於 10-4-26 16:10 發表
In your sentence "I am bored with this boring teacher.", both bored and boring is adjective.
We use "bored" when we are expressing our feeling.
We use boring when we are describing the teacher (the no ...

thanks for your response but i'm not that serious in this respect. i just plucked my feeling out of the air since the topic make me think of my good old days.

the sentence i gave out was what i heard when i was a school girl.

same as boring teacher, other things like hard-working helper, crying child, annoying boss, heart-killing lover, ....

but we still have learned BK members, tired football player, ....

is good to be here as we have so many learned BK members.  come, ask and learn.

12#
發表於 10-4-27 03:46 |只看該作者
原帖由 access 於 10-4-26 21:13 發表
請參考以下節錄自English Grammar In Use看看有否幫助?

http://access.pixa.us/images/18817847/z/Grammar-In-Use-Unit-94

access

hello access,

oh, my goodness ! this is the book I used.  the date i put on this page is xx/xx/1991

btw, i have a question about this book, would you pls check pm.

13#
發表於 10-4-28 02:20 |只看該作者
Hi access,  

I am so grateful for your generous help. Many thanks !

VHM

14#
發表於 10-4-28 13:16 |只看該作者
Hi, VeryHappyMum

No need to thank me.  I also got a lot of help from other parents here.  Helping one another is what BK parents always do.

access

原帖由 VeryHappyMum 於 10-4-28 02:20 發表
Hi access,  

I am so grateful for your generous help. Many thanks !

VHM

15#
發表於 10-4-28 13:17 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

16#
發表於 10-4-28 16:13 |只看該作者
Can't agree more.

Out of curiosity, I looked up (ooops! I just used a phrasal verb) "phrasal verb" on google. This is the definition from the first search result:

"A phrasal verb is a verb plus a preposition or adverb which creates a meaning different from the original verb."

Example:
    I ran into my teacher at the movies last night. run + into = meet
    He ran away when he was 15. run + away = leave home

The best way to learn (and be able to use) the common phrasal verbs is to read and read and read.     
I really do not see how knowing this definition will help my kid's english at all. Period.

17#
發表於 10-5-4 08:38 |只看該作者
Dear heiB,

See below and see if it is easier to explain the useage of different froms of participels to your kid.

Adjectives that are really Participles, verb forms with -ing and -ed endings, can be troublesome for some students. It is one thing to be a frightened child; it is an altogether different matter to be a frightening child. Do you want to go up to your professor after class and say that you are confused or that you are confusing? Generally, the -ed ending means that the noun so described ("you") has a passive relationship with something — something (the subject matter, the presentation) has bewildered you and you are confused. The -ing ending means that the noun described has a more active role — you are not making any sense so you are confusing (to others, including your professor).
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.

Michael Jackson

18#
發表於 10-5-7 14:04 |只看該作者
dear access,

my tears almost come out when i read your mail.  i really don't expect you give me such a perfect reply so soon.  I will print this attachment, one under my pillow, one kept in the safe, one....   please tell me which level is your kid(s) so that I can search my pocket and share some other relevant materials with you.

today, i am really a VERY HAPPY MUM.

ho sum yau ho pao, wish you a Happy Mother's Day !

19#
發表於 10-5-8 13:10 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

20#
發表於 10-5-10 15:09 |只看該作者
dear VHM,

You're welcome.  I just do it in my spare time and it is a piece of cake.

My son is in P1 now.  I have already sourced some learning materials for him.  Thank you for your generous offer and I will let you know if I happen to need any.

How about your kid(s)?  Maybe I also have some learning materials in English about English, (Mental) Maths and Science for primary level to preliminary secondary level which might also fit for your kid.

Just PM me if you are interested in.

原帖由 VeryHappyMum 於 10-5-7 14:04 發表
dear access,

my tears almost come out when i read your mail.  i really don't expect you give me such a perfect reply so soon.  I will print this attachment, one under my pillow, one kept in the safe, ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題