搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 RC parents and CWB Parents please verify
樓主: Pianokc
go

RC parents and CWB Parents please verify [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-12-6 10:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 01:17 發表
This has NOTHING to do with what I was asking.

What exactly were you asking?
You quoted 2 examples of RC students, 1 example of CWBS student and asked parents views.
Of course, I am sure your will say that you have another dozens of examples too.
In any case, many people have answered to that, mostly RC and ESF parents and some were never even RC and ESF parents.
I do not see your logic.
You have a handful of examples, which I think everyone would agree that they are the extremes. And we were merely telling you that you have only seen one end of the spectrum. That's it.
If a few brilliant students that we see cannot represent a school, then the few less competent students you saw cannot represnet a school either.
So far, no one has ever said that RC or ESF schools are the best or even that they are good. But it looks like that you want all of us to admit that the schools are no good.
OK. If that is the case, I am willing to shut up. I think other RC and ESF parents would be most willing to follow suit.
Let's all agree that RC and ESF schools are not good.

22#
發表於 09-12-6 10:34 |只看該作者
Nothing illogical except how you can derive all this?

My whole point isn't about the school, so one student doesn't make the school into ANYTHING.

My point in posting and in other posts about RC were simply to find out, what are parents' standards and expectations nowadays in their child's education. I see many ESF and RC parents in here, very happy, etc..... yet, for myself, as a parent, and a piano teacher, I would question some of these "problems" and "inconsistencies".

That's why I asked. It's NOTHING to do with whether RC is a good school or not because of one or two students.....

I have no idea where this so called " conclusion" was derived.

Ok, maybe I should have wrote "School A" .... instead of RC... then maybe I would have gotten more objective replies.

So, now I know, there are parents who don't expect or doesn't bother them that their kid don't know letters, and numbers and can't write properly at P1.  

Chinese lessons- ok, so maybe there is ONE teacher in there who doesn't seem to know what she's doing ?

It's like a bad employee in a company doesn't make the whole company bad. But if there is such issues arising, wouldn't one think and wonder, something wrong up there with the management ?

Conclusion (since you all want one).

RC isn't a bad school. But if I was a parent of RC student, I would keep my eyes open and stay really close to what my kid is being taught and doing in there.

I deal with students from ESF daily so it affects my teaching and methods and expecations at a daily basis.

I would love to hear from the parents of the higher grades, it seems like everyone who is firing at me here are from kindy, or Grade 1 mostly. Yes, most parents are happy at these grades.

原帖由 almom 於 09-12-6 09:56 發表

Wanted to PM you but somehow it did not go through.
I think the discussion is getting very illogical.
If there is an incompetent student "A", the school is bad.
If there is a brilliant student "B", ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 10:44 編輯 ]

23#
發表於 09-12-6 10:40 |只看該作者
Posted at the same time.

Almom, talk about extreme, re-read your reply.

Don't need or want any parent to ADMIT or AGREE anything. Did I ask "DO YOU THINK RC IS A BAD SCHOOL?"

Stop being so defensive. Great you are happy with your kids at RC or ESF.

All schools have problems, and strengths and weaknesses. But is it fair to say, that some are more serious and of concern than others?

原帖由 almom 於 09-12-6 10:32 發表

What exactly were you asking?
You quoted 2 examples of RC students, 1 example of CWBS student and asked parents views.
Of course, I am sure your will say that you have another dozens of examples too ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 10:48 編輯 ]

24#
發表於 09-12-6 10:55 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 10:40 發表
Posted at the same time.

Almom, talk about extreme, re-read your reply.

Don't need or want any parent to ADMIT or AGREE anything. Did I ask "DO YOU THINK RC IS A BAD SCHOO ...

I knew I would get into trouble.

You cannot resist replying each of our messages, can you? In fact, if you have read with care, you would see that the second last message I posted was not for you but for oooray. You have wasted your time replying when I was not even speaking to you.

In any case, this is the last time I would ever want to reply to this topic. In fact, I think I would be fine if I skip BK totally.

To other parents whom I have talked to in the past:
This is it. (Tribute to MJ, so I am copying him.) No wonder why many old BKers are long gone. I wanted to not to post anything. But sometimes, I mere wanted to chat with people I know. Good luck.

To other parents new to BK:
Good luck to you too. After reading comments of parnets of different schools, I finally understand why there are student-school mismatches. Hope you would choose carefully and would find the right school for your children.

PS. Final message to Pianokc, I have kids in Year 6 and Year 10.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-12-6 11:43 編輯 ]

25#
發表於 09-12-6 11:10 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 10:34 發表
I would love to hear from the parents of the higher grades, it seems like everyone who is firing at me here are from kindy, or Grade 1 mostly. Yes, most parents are happy at these grades

Pianokc,

I am one parent of higher grades and I have posted replies to you a few times.  My elder kid is already in secondary for a few years and my younger one is in Y3.   I believe I have helped to clarified some of your questions and I don't think I have fired at you.  I hope you can also be more objective and open-minded in taking others' comments.  Not all comments disagreeing with you = firing at you!

I always said that our kids' standard and behaviour have to be developed through co-operation or partnership between schools and parents, no matter which school.  I believe this also applies to KCIS or SIS or CIS which you like.  Good schools provide good system, guidelines, cirriculum, teachers and track records.  In these aspects, ESF schools are qualified.  ESF schools have quite different culture and system from those you like and most ESF parents are happy with their schools, that's it, does this cause you a lot of trouble??  

If your RC or ESF students have so low standard and discipline which annoy you so much, you can just choose not to teach them piano, teachers can always choose their students, right??  I also teach piano lessons, maybe I can take those RC or ESF students you don't want?  Would that help?

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-12-6 11:14 編輯 ]

26#
發表於 09-12-6 11:52 |只看該作者
Yes, almom, agreeeeeee I feel exactly the same.

There seem to be no discussion ever.

WYmom, yes appreciate your input, but as I said, I am just trying to find out more, seems like it was wrong thing to do from the start.

No, I won't give up on my ESF students, but I definitely will have different and regroup my standards and expectations with the students and parents.

Thanks for this crazy but eye opening thread.

You thought you would get into trouble almom, no, I shouldn't have ever bothered posting this.

27#
發表於 09-12-6 12:39 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

28#
發表於 09-12-6 19:36 |只看該作者
thankful,

"It may not be a bad idea afterall.  If you see problems with your students, perhaps you should just talk to their parents directly. "

I do talk to parents, and all they say is yes, that's the way the school teaches, or my kid doesn't have that, or doesn't need to do this and that at school..... so hence I thought the purpose of a "forum" is for this, get more information from parents that is OUTSIDE my network.

So your point is, if I am saying anything "negative" or critical about a school, then don't post it here in a forum.

Ok, I think we should add this rule to the regulations for this forum.

I am happy at KCIS, but not meaning there are no problems. KCIS is not telling me kids to memorize .... the reason I switched my kids from traditional school is exactly what you said, my daughter is very creative, I didn't like it when her old school TELLS her HOW to draw a bird during a test, it's wrong if the bird looks different from the school's designated one !

Whether anyone understands or believe this, I have no intention of bad mouthing RC or ESF, it was genuinely a question and observation that I had that wanted more info and replies other than my student's parents can give me.

However, it is concluded that one cannot comment negatively about any ESF school in this forum.

Someone warned me about that before, should have listened.

I do appreciate what you said Thankful, it's very well said.

原帖由 thankful 於 09-12-6 12:39 發表
***I shouldn't have ever bothered posting this***

It may not be a bad idea afterall.  If you see problems with your students, perhaps you should just talk to their parents directly.

I assume you ar ...

29#
發表於 09-12-6 21:21 |只看該作者
pianokc,
thankful is not an ESF parent.
That's all I want to say.

30#
發表於 09-12-6 22:11 |只看該作者
Nintendo,

Yes, I know that.
But thankful doesn't say anything neg about ESF, hence it's ok.

It's fine, the non-ESF fans parents already PM me, that's the way we are going to communicate to avoid any fire hazards if we want to talk about ESF, but if I have anything positive to say about ESF, I will definitely post it.

Thanks all !

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-12-6 21:21 發表
pianokc,
thankful is not an ESF parent.
That's all I want to say.

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 22:12 編輯 ]

31#
發表於 09-12-6 22:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 almom 於 09-12-6 09:56 發表

Wanted to PM you but somehow it did not go through.
I think the discussion is getting very illogical.
If there is an incompetent student "A", the school is bad.
If there is a brilliant student "B", ...

Yes. i do agree with u but it seems to be an endless "performance"; and we are just a pack of hyenas when criticizing those distorted theories and the only "pre-set" conclusion is u are just a pack of ESF parents.
i am having fun to watch such behaviours and good luck to those children with those parents.

32#
發表於 09-12-6 22:47 |只看該作者

33#
發表於 09-12-6 23:50 |只看該作者
Well said again thankful.
However, schools do change don't you think? Principals change, teachers come and go, curriculum changes, books changes, and it's up to parents, and students to be aware and notice and speak up when things are not as they should be or used to be.

Making mistakes is tolerable and forgiveable, but teaching children WRONG things in my opinion is not acceptable. Esp when it's more than ONE time. This isn't about priorities, this is about education.

I believe a good parent is one that chooses what is best for their child, and a good parent is definitely one that keeping updated.

Being defensive about any criticisms or negative comments about ESF school is so infamous on this forum it doesn't need ME to reiterate. Even when a fellow parent of RC verifies what I observed is not a rumour, you all fail to acknowledge, and still continue to criticize my original post.

Kid 1 's mom is very concerned and mad actually. She will definitely try to find out what's going on.

原帖由 thankful 於 09-12-6 22:47 發表
I try not to say anything negative about any school (be it ESF or any other school).  I believe every school has its own problems.  I also believe every parent has his own priority and reasons why he  ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-7 00:00 編輯 ]

34#
發表於 09-12-6 23:54 |只看該作者
Me too, ooray....

one eye open and one eye shut for such reports about RC..... very interesting. Yes, GOOD LUCK to those parents.

Like it wouldn't be possible to actually say, "REALLY? this is very strange.... definitely needs to look into this problem...." it's not common to see this in RC or no, our programme isn't like that....  

instead of "you are just sitting there spreading rumours! being illogical....blah blah blah...

Don't worry, it's Monday again, no more time for me to play this game anymore.  Good luck !

原帖由 oooray 於 09-12-6 22:35 發表

Yes. i do agree with u but it seems to be an endless "performance"; and we are just a pack of hyenas when criticizing those distorted theories and the only "pre-set" conclusion is u are just a pack o ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 23:56 編輯 ]

35#
發表於 09-12-7 01:09 |只看該作者
Certainly it is not entirely because of  "A" school.  Parental support is so important on kids' growth.

However, it's not true that  "Brilliant kids are brilliant no matter where they go".  

Actually he could grow up in famous local school or other pure English IS because of the background of his dad. Eventually, his parents chose YewChung because they know their kid's need.

If studying in some pushing schools, they believe their kid will lose interest or even hate to go back school.  

My nephew is not only good at Maths/Science subjects.  He can write extraordinary articles in Chinese too.  I asked his mom how the school motivated him in writing.  She said the kids could write whatever they want in primary section.  No matter English/Chinese, don't care too much about the words/grammers, kids can even draw pictures if they don't know the words.  Now they are so grateful to the school and teachers for their kid's achievement.

Going back to RC you care much about.
Two years ago, my daughter was studying in year 1 in RC.  After that, she switched to another school because of some other reasons.  As per the experience of my girl, I can tell you it was a fruitful year.  Perhaps she was lucky to have an outstanding and responsible class teacher.

Regarding Chinese lesson, I also think there are some rooms for improvement.  I did write to the teacher about my discontent and concern. She replied me straightaway and suggested me having a discussion with the primary head.  As far I know, RC parents don't count on the school for Chinese lessons.  As many readers posted here before, one can't be too greedy for bilingual studies in IS.  If one is expecting Chinese learning in RC, definitely it is not a good choice. :)

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-6 01:17 發表
Brilliant kids are brilliant no matter where they go, however, if you send them to better schools, and give them more, they will excel more.

Your nephew is brilliant, but it doesn't mean it's entirel ...

[ 本帖最後由 chingyu 於 09-12-7 01:12 編輯 ]

36#
發表於 09-12-7 01:48 |只看該作者
Interesting read here.

Chingyu, I was told by my friends if I want a good ESF school with more chinese, it's RC ! I am now shocked to hear what you said.

Regarding this thread, maybe the point is RC parents do not want to face these problems about the school. I read other problems written by other parents ..... because if you admit problem, you would have to change school ?

原帖由 chingyu 於 09-12-7 01:09 發表
Certainly it is not entirely because of  "A" school.  Parental support is so important on kids' growth.

However, it's not true that  "Brilliant kids are brilliant no matter where they go".  

Actuall ...

37#
發表於 09-12-7 11:54 |只看該作者
“If I want a good ESF school with more Chinese, it's RC!” – I agree what your friend said.

Comparing to many other IS, I think RC provides much more time and resources in Chinese. However, certainly you cannot compare it with the curriculum of local schools.

If you want your kids to pursue high proficiency in Chinese, I believe you won’t send them to US/UK/Canada/Australia for studies, will you?  It applies the same here.  

Don’t mislead or be misled………..My statement was clear.

I am satisfied what my daughter learned and be inspired in Year 1, RC.  There is a possibility I send her back in one day if the timing is ok, provided that they allow her to get in again.  Who knows?  I will plan for my daughter step by step according to her needs.

As I am not a RC / ESF  parent now, at least I can show I don’t have a bias.

If your children’s school keeps on being criticized in public but you are paying a considerable amount of school fee every month for pursuing the advantage of that school, what’s your feeling?

As an outsider, I think it is unfair you always say “non-ESF parents cannot speak here”.  When parents come up and tell you how satisfactory of the school, you are the one who is not happy to hear the comment.  Are the parents stupid?  Do they have any other choices? Can they send their kids to other schools if theirs are so awful?  Can you hear the truth and other opinions?  Be more open-minded.

38#
發表於 09-12-7 12:40 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題