用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 No Cantonese in RC pl pl pl
樓主: yeung2212
go

No Cantonese in RC pl pl pl

發表於 09-11-17 23:09 |顯示全部帖子
Quiz of the night no.3: How would you call a person who ...

OK, I skip this one, ... for peace.

發表於 09-11-17 23:30 |顯示全部帖子
What's wrong about EMI schools? I  graduated from a local EMI school and never went abroad to study.  Not any gweilo dares say a thing about my English, spoken or written, or challenge my knowledge of the Western world.  It may well be that the one sitting next to me speaks the King's English. So what? Once we start discussing the debate between Ferguson and Farrow, he shuts up.  I am not pretending to be big or knowledgeable.  Who am I?  I am just one of the countless many who manage to survive the local system and thrive.  The point is, you have no right to call yourself an open-minded person.  You are not.  You just narrow-mindedly believe in something fixated in your mind as a result of your own limitation.  If getting admitted to GSIS or going to a so-called top U is such a big deal to you, fine.  Go for it.  But we are not on the level and I'd better leave you with your own clan.  The world is a much bigger place.  Pity that you don't know.  By the way, I don't feel offended that you call yourself "westernised" - after all I am not a westerner.

發表於 09-11-18 10:18 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-11-18 11:17 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-18 11:22 |顯示全部帖子
Relax!  Don't get excited.

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-11-18 11:39 編輯 ]

發表於 09-11-18 11:34 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Onsen 於 09-11-18 11:22 發表
Relax!  Don't get offended if someone doesn't like your school and asked for the transfer.  What it matters is just that person's need, not yours.  

Initially, I do like RC for its emphasis on Chines ...

Relax too. No all spokers here are RC parents. ( but I am).
Relax again. There are hundred thousands scary parents in Hong Kong (I'm one of the pack) , in either local or International (Real or so-called) Schools. U will have no place to dodge.

發表於 09-11-18 11:47 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-18 12:14 |顯示全部帖子
Parents, it is not just the language of English.  Many maids in HK speak very good English.  It is the attitude toward life, respect of other people's differences, and a great passion for learning that are more important.  If you can lead a child to a wonderful world of learning based on his initiative then you can considered yourself a success.  The only problem for local school is that the force from school and parents to learn through the textbooks, to dictate, to compete, to get ahead of others really loss the sight of education.  If English is so great, then Singapore will the at the top of the world.  But in reality?  Will you send your kids to Singapore or for that matter, Phillipine for education even they will all be able to speak good English?  If one wants his child's mind fourish and growth, and be an intelligent and open-minded person, the US, UK or some EU countries' would be a better bet.  I said a better bet does not mean that they are better than our local schools.  I am sure many top EMS are much better academically.  We just want to have an envrionment to foster this kind of intellectual growth in a child.  If we can't send our kids to the western world, then international schools with good teachers and principals may do the trick.  Isn't it what we are doing it now?

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-11-18 12:17 編輯 ]

發表於 09-11-18 13:08 |顯示全部帖子
Sorry to step in RC discussion again. But want parents to look at IB structure. They encourage daul language and this is a requirement in IB, so not surprisingly to see that the principal will not ban children from speaking cantonese.

Take a look at this in IB website too:
http://www.ibo.org/general/iblanguagepolicy.cfm

發表於 09-11-18 13:45 |顯示全部帖子
否定別人便是成功之道?
自己成功=別人失敗?
當信主耶穌您和您家人必得救?
順我者昌,逆我者亡?
是弱者之道還是強者之道,請自行(了/判)斷!
善哉善哉...

發表於 09-11-18 14:15 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-18 23:11 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-11-18 14:15 發表
Sorry to ask you some questions and I am not intend to offend.

What is the relationship of the link you quoted with regard the language policy (i.e. not ban the speaking of Cantonese) adopted by RC?  ...

1. RC is the first (if I am not wrong) to adopt IB since they established few years ago, so they mindset to use daul language is very clear.

2. Other like SC are moving from GCE to IB, so I think they still need sometimes to adjust from English language environment to dual language mode

Just my wild guess. I think is no harm to let them speak both language and so they can learn good english but maintain a good mother tongue too.

發表於 09-11-19 09:31 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 popolung 於 09-11-18 23:11 發表

1. RC is the first (if I am not wrong) to adopt IB since they established few years ago, so they mindset to use daul language is very clear.

2. Other like SC are moving from GCE to IB, so I think t ...

SC was the first IB school among ESF, it has IBD program for 5 to 6 years (don't remember exactly).   RC was established in 2006 as a full IB school.

As far as I know, there is no dual language policy in SC or in other ESF schools, whether they are using IB or not.  There is no need to adjust any change to dual language.  

I see that students will speak in language naturally with their peer groups they used to be.  As most students come from different ethical groups, they naturally communicate in English.

RC is somewhat different from other ESF schools as it has the "niche" of putting more resources in Chinese, particularly standard Chinese to meet the demand of local Chinese parents.  So there is no problem with speaking in mother tongue.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-11-19 09:55 編輯 ]

發表於 09-11-19 10:28 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-19 11:01 |顯示全部帖子
Hi wisekid2007,

''However, the best way to achieve native spoken level of both languages is to foster a total unique language environment for at least 5 to 6 hours a day.''

真的是這樣嗎?你有沒有什麼學術研究支持呢?你可否quote reference呢?

我不是挑戰你,我祇是想學習吧!

發表於 09-11-19 11:10 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-19 11:22 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-11-19 11:10 發表
I saw a reseach article a few year ago (forgot where it came from) that if a young kid can be immersed in a total language environment for at least 5 to 6 hours a day, the learning/practising time wil ...

Hi wisekid2007,
Theoretically, I agree to your viewpoint.
U have find a right school for your son implementing 100% English school environment...but i'm curious to know whether your son will be chit-chatting in Cantonese at school quietly/secretly and another Cantonese-Speaking friend come across?

發表於 09-11-19 11:34 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-11-19 12:09 |顯示全部帖子
wise2007's comments make sense, because think about it, when one goes overseas for education, the child will pick up the local language much faster because? You are forced to speak that language and listen to that language all the time, and while children are young, they can learn languages (multiple) very fast at rapid speed.

Hence, to duplicate the same effect, where the kid goes to school in HK, if English is always spoken and heard, they will pick up the language like "native" IF the teachers and school environment can provide this atmosphere.

Just my two cents.

發表於 09-11-19 12:26 |顯示全部帖子
For those students who have to rely on school to learn native spoken English, it would be very essential for them to have a total English environment

I somehow agree to the above.  So, if your kids happen to be one of those WHO HAVE TO rely on their schools to learn a thing, listen to the wise one.