Five! Yeah!

發表於 09-9-30 20:51 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cuteb 於 09-9-30 16:59 發表
oooray,

想多了解嘛, 唔係貪心呀, :)

咁ESF有冇我以上提及嘅要求, 但中文會弱些, 是嗎?
哪一間ESF?

中文會弱些: to me. YES.
Sorry that i am unable to answer your questions. maybe other parents could help...
I suggest you visit website for all schools you interest in and do some homework and then you can raise your questions concisely and precisely.

發表於 09-9-30 22:09 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-9-30 23:55 |顯示全部帖子
There is no way anyone can give you all the answers to all the questions you have about IS schools. There are many IS schools, whether it suits your child and your family depends on many factors that only you can answer, and decide whether it's suitable.

Best for you to do and buy the IS school guide at Eugene Club, or go to any websites that summarizes IS schools of HK.

I did SO much research, and finally made my decision and I am very very happy with my kids' school now. No one can do it for you.

發表於 09-10-1 07:34 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cuteb 於 09-9-30 22:09 發表
oooray,

Thanks for your reply!

我相信家長嘅意見, 可信性都高啲, 學校嘅websites太表面, 上次我帶個仔上playgroup, 啱啱放學有一大班ESF嘅學生嚟補習, 我走埋去問啲學生,G1-5都有, 咁啱果日冇HW, 佢哋話經常性冇 ...

so, don't consider ESF if you agree to those view points. there are still a lot of IS with good reputations. i guess u have read many threads here and have your own choices...
every school has good and lazy children. success or not needs a lot of factors, parents effort, talent of children, luck...
to be honest, if homework load is an important factor, public exam result is top priority, why not staying at local school  and then keep going to tutorial classes; and then beocme an examiation machine, get a lot of As in pubilc exam.....is it the future u plan for your child?

發表於 09-10-1 11:24 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cuteb 於 09-9-30 22:09 發表
連啲補習老師都話...

There are different types of tutors or tutorial centres.

There are those that cater mainly local school students. They do believe, or may be I should say, they HAVE TO believe in the local system. Unfortunately, these same people have very little understanding of the curriculum of international schools.

There are also those that helps mainly international schools students. The tutors were all educated in a western curriculum themselves and they fully understand what most international schools are doing.

Because of their backgrounds etc, tutors with extensive experience with tutoring students in a western curriculum are not cheap. Not many parents want to pay the premium. So you can see that quite a lot of IS primary school kids are going to "local" tutorial centers for chinese or math classes.

I am not here to argue the validity of the comments of the tutor you met. I am sure she/he is entitled to her/his views. But are you sure you want to trust her/his comments as a general truth if she/he has so limited understanding of the ESF curriculum and her/his experience with ESF kids is limited to the handful that went to her/his classes. Do not forget that kids go to tutorial classes with a purpose. Those top ones would not go to those classes.

I have friends in 4 different ESF schools and my kids are with RC. All our children are brilliant students that, when compared to their counterparts of the same age in local schools, have broader knowledge in lots of areas and much better reading and comprehension skills. I do appreciate there are other aspects that local systems are good at. For one, they are good at training up kids to be fast in simple arithmatic calculations. But this is probably not want most parents would satisfy with.

I do agree that there are children that are less academic and they do not enjoy reading and do not enjoy homework. But did ESF made them unmotivated?

I think it is a parent's reponsibility to try to do things that make your children as motivated as possible. Motivations have to be encouraged, not only within the school, but at home as well. I do believe that a successful person can be "cultivated". Smart minds would be wasted if parents do not help them grow.

One last point to make. ESF is cheaper in terms of fees when compared to schools like HKIS. So it has to be true that ESF has less resources in almost all areas; and it is also true that the background (including financial) would also be different. Unfortunately, education is never "fair" when it comes to money. With more money, you can have a better university placement team, you can go to a good SAT tutor, writing class.... etc

You seem to have had the views that there are other schools that are better than ESF. I agree. We all know that schools like HKIS and CIS are good. May be you would want to consider applying to these instead.

With the financial concerns, I have chosen RC, which so far is doing what I expected, at a fees I can afford. As far as I know ESF schools are very good. But again, if you can afford, why not try HKIS and CIS. These schools are just not options to many families, that't it.

Sorry to be kind of carried away.... But good luck.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-10-1 11:28 編輯 ]

發表於 09-10-2 15:29 |顯示全部帖子
My daughter is in RCHK Year 1. I have a feeling that it breaks the myth of no/little homework in IS that some parents may assume.

For English, she has Phonics Response, Poetry Book and Library Book.... For Chinese, she has Handwriting, Reading and Pinyin. They all require parental involvement. As a working mum, I am overwhelmed by the heavy workload. Having said that, I find a good balance between quality and quantity and I really appreciate the opportunity to spend time doing homework with my daughter. Home learning is a wonderful experience that tutoring can never be comparable.

發表於 09-10-4 22:30 |顯示全部帖子
My son studied in Anfield from pre school to K2, then Phoenix (now RCHK) and RCHK for P1 to P3. Then in the middle of P.3, he joined GSIS till now (P5).
I would say that his homework is neither heavy nor too little now. But I don't know if that's becos of GSIS or becos he's already P5 or both.
It's true that he has very little homework when he was in lower years. People said IS would increase homework workload in upper primary and especially secondary and up. And, GSIS is 'famous' for being more demanding academically.
However, my son enjoyed school very much. He does not complain. And, I found most of his homework quite interesting, mainly reading and research based. Some group projects. And, teachers give them very positive comments. So, he's very motivated and enjoying his school life.
I think the workload of homework is one thing. But the content, quality and purpose of homework is even more important.

Just my two cents.

Ruby

發表於 09-10-4 22:50 |顯示全部帖子
Ruby1219,
I sent you a PM.  Please check.

原帖由 Ruby1219 於 09-10-4 22:30 發表
My son studied in Anfield from pre school to K2, then Phoenix (now RCHK) and RCHK for P1 to P3. Then in the middle of P.3, he joined GSIS till now (P5).
I would say that his homework is neither heavy ...

發表於 09-10-4 23:19 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# eaymom 的文章

replied.

Ruby

發表於 09-10-5 09:50 |顯示全部帖子
you are like doing a survey more than asking a question for yourselves only....

發表於 09-10-5 16:23 |顯示全部帖子
I am also a grass root parent and thinking to put my son to IS stream. Can you share your comments when you put your kids to ESF?
Since many parents are competing for ESF schools, what if we failed to get a ESF seat, any contingency plan we can do (suppose i can only afford on ESF)?

THanks your great help and advise.

原帖由 almom 於 09-10-1 11:24 發表

There are different types of tutors or tutorial centres.

There are those that cater mainly local school students. They do believe, or may be I should say, they HAVE TO believe in the local system.  ...

發表於 09-10-5 21:29 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Ruby,

I've PM you again.  Please check.

原帖由 Ruby1219 於 09-10-4 23:19 發表
replied.

Ruby

發表於 09-10-5 23:25 |顯示全部帖子
Maybe you can try putting your child in one of the local kindergartens with international streams:
eg, Victoxxx, learnixx habixxx, in case you're not offered an interview with ESF, you still can put your child in a local school.

原帖由 calbeeng 於 09-10-5 16:23 發表
I am also a grass root parent and thinking to put my son to IS stream. Can you share your comments when you put your kids to ESF?
Since many parents are competing for ESF schools, what if we failed to ...

發表於 09-10-6 20:49 |顯示全部帖子
do you think it is possible for our kid to change back to local traditional primary school if they studied 3 years in intl. kindergarten? My friend told me actually traditional school cannot say "no" to accept the kid since we all entitied to the free education system in HK.
Can any mommy here share which ESF primary school is  easier to bingo? I heard colleagues telling me QBS and RC is easier. Please advise. Thanks a lot!

發表於 09-10-9 13:29 |顯示全部帖子
depends on how many students in each year.  i live right next to glenealy esf, yet i know it is next to impossible for my child to be admitted because they only have 60 students (2 classes) for each year.  often, kids like mine will have an option to go the Peak esf as the area assigned to that school simply has less students.  all of western mid-levels, which is densely populated, falls in the glenealy district.