密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 名校的迷思
樓主: hui3328
go

名校的迷思 [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 09-10-6 22:30 |只看該作者
When I initiated postings of this topic, I did not anticipate that the points of views I expressed would provoke so much controversy. As responsible parents, we are at the same boat that we all want our kids to receive the best education possible. Some of my expressions may have crossed the lines. However, I, by no means, intended to underplay the status of the elite schools.

I hope parents in this forum will benefit from a more productive and constructive debate:

The obsession with the elite class of schools has become a self-perpetuating mechanism. Many of these schools are sitting on their own laureates. They refuse to innovate and take on new methods, not being able to meet the challenges of the knowledge society.

Diversity of student body is one key area strongly advocated by all elite universities like Harvard, Yale and UC Berkeley. They are seeking students who excelled in all types of backgrounds and schools. Yet I was so frustrated to find that many of the elite schools in HK, under the direct-subsidy scheme, reserve at least 70% of places for their related group. What is logic of giving preferential admission to kids of their graduates? From other parents’ postings, it also appears that these schools have a stereotyped of people they will admit. They don’t they have the courage to change the status quo?

Lack of transparency is another problem in our education system. We all want to make informed decisions. Why the Education Bureau can’t mandate all schools to disclose their public exam results? With a centralized, organized and transparent database, parents and students would be able to find desirable schools based on the individual standard.

Open your kids to more possibilities: apart from a small group of branded schools, there are a large number of emerging schools that have been more proactive, innovative and progressive in many areas, supported by passionate, dedicated and well-prepared teaching force. There are many pathways that our children can succeed in their life.

In terms of parenting skills and knowledge about our education system, I am on the learning process. I welcome any good inputs to make our discussion more meaningful.

102#
發表於 09-10-6 23:07 |只看該作者

回覆 1# hui3328 的文章

i can see your point, but can those school councils understand? they are the one who makes decision,

103#
發表於 09-10-6 23:40 |只看該作者
原帖由 hui3328 於 09-10-6 22:30 發表
When I initiated postings of this topic, I did not anticipate that the points of views I expressed would provoke so much controversy. As responsible parents, we are at the same boat that we all want o ...

Hi hui3328

Really appreciate your input here.  Parent should not blindly follow the magic of 'famous school'. As a parent who has undergone the process last year, really give me more thought on choosing the right school for my kid.  Famous school, on one hand is very attractive (not only to my child, but is also a pride for me), on the other hand I would need to consider the ability of my child.  I do not favour for taking too much private tuitions as this will only take away the interest of learning.  

If you were in DGx, a child will feel ashame of herself if she got only 90 marks as she might be at the bottom of the class.  If she would have to struggle very hard to obtain an additional 5-10 marks, this might deprive her learning interest.  

My objective is not too give much pressure for the child.  Relationship with kid and a happy childhood for them are more important.  

Good luck for the forthcoming P1 candidate.

104#
發表於 09-10-6 23:42 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

105#
發表於 09-10-6 23:53 |只看該作者
I can name a couple reasons why this topic becomes so controversial: 1. Your arrogant attitude and 2. Your indulgence in empty talk.

First, it's surely not a good way to persuade the others by cracking yourself up by telling your cinderella story (from a mainlain village kid to a senior executive who earns multiple millions annually).

Second, you didn't really backup your points with objective evidence or statistics. For example, you mentioned that many elite schools are reluctant to innovate and improve but did not tell us how you came up with this conclusion. In fact, I know many "elite schools" are striving to provide their students with new teaching & learning innitiatives, such as e-classes, English story telling in groups, etc.

By the way, I think it's not appropriate to compare the primary/secondary schools to the elite universities in the States, do you know how much resources an Ivy-league college can spend on each year?

原帖由 hui3328 於 09-10-6 22:30 發表
When I initiated postings of this topic, I did not anticipate that the points of views I expressed would provoke so much controversy. As responsible parents, we are at the same boat that we all want o ...

醒目開學勳章

106#
發表於 09-10-7 00:14 |只看該作者
其實點解樓主要咁針對名校? 其實入得名校對個小朋友將來都會唔多唔小有D影響/幫助,好似好多政界商界名人都係名校出身. 唔係話讀左名校就識飛,讀普通學校就一定唔掂,不過如果兩者有得揀,點解唔比個小朋友讀好D(如果佢讀到).
正如其中一位媽咪講,入得名校個D父母都好注重子女的教育,佢地會盡一齊方法配合學校,點都唔會差得去邊,相反普通學校好多父母都未必有時間去理小朋友,咁佢地學壞機會就相對比較大.講真就算我個女讀唔到書都起碼唔會學壞先.
好簡單樓主如果有兩間學校比你揀,一間係名校,一間係好普通屋村學校,你會點揀? 你會唔會為左佢"唔公報"學校成績而唔比個小朋友入名校?會唔會因為佢係一條龍而唔比小朋友讀?

107#
發表於 09-10-7 09:31 |只看該作者

108#
發表於 09-10-7 09:55 |只看該作者
原帖由 babie2 於 09-10-6 19:17 發表
look at the English standard of some of the DBS P1 students... it is like P6 for some common primary schools.

I think the private tutors play a big role in these....   

小一有一般小六的英文水平,特別是聽、講、看方面,不是太難做到。例如生於假洋鬼子的家庭,英文基本是母語,更不是問題。

就算我呢種除叫傭人做嘢,一句英文都唔講嘅家庭,也有能力做到,方法簡單,自小每天一齊讀30-45分鐘故事書即可。

private tutors?超出我想像之外!

109#
發表於 09-10-7 10:02 |只看該作者
原帖由 Planet 於 09-10-6 21:04 發表
係真架, 我朋友英文2-3位tutors, 中文3位tutors, 數學2位tutors.  如果學校教得掂, 你話洗唔洗個個揾外援呢?

我真係未見過咁嘅人。我不是完全反對補習,但問題是:每人每天擁有24小時,點解有的人可以有咁多時間做咁多補習呢?

110#
發表於 09-10-7 10:04 |只看該作者
原帖由 catcatmom 於 09-10-6 18:42 發表
sorry!我要補充, 個小朋友係4年級下學期先開始, 慢慢+上去, 數學就5年級一間補習社, 5年級下學期+多左一間. 不是開始就甘多補習. 不要"客"親.
而另外一個朋友個仔就讀x拔, 入去第一年就同我講, 知唔知點解x拔d小朋友 ...

都係唔信!

醒目開學勳章

111#
發表於 09-10-7 10:15 |只看該作者
我都諗緊一日得24小時,返學都用左大半日(宜家通常全日)咁放左學都成4點幾,點可以有咁多補習
不過如果個小朋友真係要搵咁多補習咁即係話個小朋友根本唔適合間學校,轉校好過.
我有幾個朋友都係讀名校,不過又唔見佢地要搵補習,只係每日都要讀書冇得玩
原帖由 judy 於 09-10-7 10:02 發表

我真係未見過咁嘅人。我不是完全反對補習,但問題是:每人每天擁有24小時,點解有的人可以有咁多時間做咁多補習呢?

112#
發表於 09-10-7 10:20 |只看該作者
一定是名校好, 名校是沒有迷思的!!!!!

一家學校成績一好,家長自会奔走相告,本來唔係名校,都变名校啦。嗰種傳墦速度,快過高錕發明嘅光纖通信!

"名校的迷思",根本是個偽題目。作者只不過想話,Dxx, Sxx 呢類"名校"己out,新嘅名校叫 xxx 而己。

消委会都有個街市行情,有心的BK之友,不如搞個"今日名校指數",益吓大家。

113#
發表於 09-10-7 10:59 |只看該作者
我有問題想請教大家,以前既名校可以自己揀學生,可以將一d質素高既學生集中一齊教,真是可以事半功倍,但依家既名校(我指既是官津校)唔可以自己揀學生,要靠分數同運氣先入到,咁d學生既質素仲可唔可以有保証呢?學生質素會否好參差,影響教學質素呢?名校(我指既官津校)能否繼續保持良好成績呢? 私校直資仲可以自己揀學生,我相信水準是可以保持既,但官津校既名校仲可否keep住呢?我覺得是有疑問響度既,我都有聽聞一d名校(官津校)既學生質素真是差著,學術水平是有下跌既.
我只是表達我既意見,啱聽就聽,唔啱聽就算,希望名校fans唔好狂插我.

114#
發表於 09-10-7 11:08 |只看該作者
現實點. 太差也休想留低. 所以幸運抽入了也要努力才可以. 學校也不想各樣水平太低吧.

原帖由 ggoo 於 09-10-7 10:59 發表
我有問題想請教大家,以前既名校可以自己揀學生,可以將一d質素高既學生集中一齊教,真是可以事半功倍,但依家既名校(我指既是官津校)唔可以自己揀學生,要靠分數同運氣先入到,咁d學生既質素仲可唔可以有保証呢?學生質素 ...

115#
發表於 09-10-7 11:20 |只看該作者

116#
發表於 09-10-7 11:29 |只看該作者
明白你地既解釋,咁即是入到名校都唔可以好淡定,都要小朋友攞到好成績先可以留底,咁唔怪得咁多名校學生要補習,因為人地補自己唔補就好似有d蝕底咁,怕跟唔上人地.我有個朋友個女入到聖瑪利讀,佢都話學校是好,但個女讀得好辛苦,又怕成績跟唔上要中途退學,都真是幾大壓力. 我都相信名校是有好既環境同資源比小朋友去發揮,但太大壓力大人細路都辛苦,真是要睇小朋友既能力去選校,我都好矛盾,唔知自己個小朋友是咩料,唔知報咩學校好?

117#
發表於 09-10-7 11:37 |只看該作者
When I handed in the application form for discretionary P1 place for St. Mary's, while we were waiting in the queue, we noticed that a student probably just started P1, refused to enter the school entrance and was crying miserably.  Her mother had to drag her to the entrance. It scared the hell of everyone waiting in the queue.  Everybody started to think "am I choosing the right school for my child?"
原帖由 ggoo 於 09-10-7 11:29 發表
明白你地既解釋,咁即是入到名校都唔可以好淡定,都要小朋友攞到好成績先可以留底,咁唔怪得咁多名校學生要補習,因為人地補自己唔補就好似有d蝕底咁,怕跟唔上人地.我有個朋友個女入到聖瑪利讀,佢都話學校是好,但個女讀 ...

118#
發表於 09-10-7 12:02 |只看該作者
睇完你咁講我都好驚,我朋友個女依家讀緊p3,佢話幾辛苦都唔會退學,因為可以升返佢既中學,佢仲有個細女又可以直入聖瑪利,不過我覺得佢大女都幾慘,因為真是跟得好辛苦.

原帖由 ThePrincipal 於 09-10-7 11:37 發表
When I handed in the application form for discretionary P1 place for St. Mary's, while we were waiting in the queue, we noticed that a student probably just started P1, refused to enter the school ent ...

119#
發表於 09-10-7 12:18 |只看該作者
其實好多出去補習學生都唔一定係跟唔上, 有d家長覺得學校無功課,亞仔又唔自動自覺做,或者你叫佢做,佢又係處hea,所以唯有出去專科補習,一來可加強,2來可以預習,又可當溫書,好多家長都知谷住要比錢人賺,但奈何好多小朋友係只聽外人教.
鬼唔知只要小朋友上堂專心,番屋企肯操卷,成績一定唔會差,但有幾多小朋友做得到呢? 所以而家好多人去課餘托管/揾老師上門,就係家長費時勞氣, 真係好傷母子關係架.

原帖由 polarbb 於 09-10-7 10:15 發表
我都諗緊一日得24小時,返學都用左大半日(宜家通常全日)咁放左學都成4點幾,點可以有咁多補習
不過如果個小朋友真係要搵咁多補習咁即係話個小朋友根本唔適合間學校,轉校好過.
我有幾個朋友都係讀名校,不過又 ...

120#
發表於 09-10-7 12:25 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題