密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 GSIS vs KCIS
查看: 10872|回覆: 69
go

GSIS vs KCIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-30 01:02 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I thought this game was over and done with for my daughter and I.

Ok, like to hear from parents of both schools.

GSIS and KCIS- which one would you choose for your child?

Factors important to me:

1) Academic - high achievements
2) Discipline
3) Location (GSIS being on the Peak, and then 2 years later, we have to go Wan Chai if we choose GSIS).
4) School hours- terribly early for GSIS, but half day only, and KCIS is 9am-3:20pm.
5) Putonghua level- KCIS by far beats GSIS.

GSIS= the reputation
KCIS= strong putonghua programme

Please help me!
   2    0    0    0

醒目開學勳章

2#
發表於 09-6-30 08:58 |只看該作者
GSIS.

3#
發表於 09-6-30 09:05 |只看該作者
hi Pianokc,

Do you get an offer from GSIS?

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-6-30 01:02 發表

Factors important to me:

[ 本帖最後由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-6-30 09:11 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 09-6-30 13:47 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

5#
發表於 09-6-30 16:12 |只看該作者
I like the pratice of KCIS delivering a strong Putonghua programme.  Just one question. Do KCIS pupils learn Putonghua as a native language, second language or foreign language?

Factors important to me:

6#
發表於 09-6-30 16:30 |只看該作者

7#
發表於 09-6-30 16:48 |只看該作者
This is a discussion on GSIS vs KCIS.  Why did you bring up KCS?

It is certainly not wise to choose a IS solely based on a Chinese programme.  But it could be one of the important factors to consider for parents.

All parents do not want their kids to ignore Putonghua.  As you mentioned, the "final Chinese standard a student studying in IS is mainly depended on the student's own capability as well as his/her family support and expectation in Chinese learning."    In case of a parent preferring a more balanced bilingual capability, KCIS could be a good choice.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 16:30 發表
We are talking about KCIS but not KCS. It is 100% sure KCIS teaches Chinese (or you mean Putonghua) as a second or foreign lanugage, just like most of other ISs. In fact, you can't find the difference ...

8#
發表於 09-6-30 16:59 |只看該作者

9#
發表於 09-6-30 17:18 |只看該作者
You can take my question literally, or see it as a contrast to different teaching approach in HK.

I reckon parents value contrast and difference to figure out what fits our diversified educational needs.  That's why we keep on coming back for information, rather than adopting a go-and-see-for yourself approach.

I have no objection to your point that "in upper primary and secondar in most of the IS are more or less the same."  It's just that linguistics and pedagogy studies tell us that learning a language at a young age makes a crucial difference to a learner's proficiency.  I guess KCIS has a niche advantage to suit some parents needs.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 16:59 發表
I bring up KCS because of your STRANGE question: Do KCIS pupils learn Putonghua as a native language, second language or foreign language?

How can an international school in HK will teach Chinese as  ...

10#
發表於 09-6-30 17:26 |只看該作者

11#
發表於 09-6-30 17:38 |只看該作者
I am not against GSIS.  It should have its merits.  I only want to find out the relative advantages of different schools.  

Here I found another commonality between us.  I also believe that there are better choices other than KCIS for some parents, not all parents.  Also I have to reiterate that I reckon that Chinese curriculum could be one of the important factor.  I emphazied the potential importancy, not urgency nor a supremacy.

Btw, when linguistists say young, they mean younger than what you have mentioned.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:26 發表
***It's just that linguistics and pedagogy studies tell us that learning a language at a young age makes a crucial difference to a learner's proficiency.  I guess KCIS has a niche advantage to suit so ...

12#
發表於 09-6-30 17:50 |只看該作者

13#
發表於 09-6-30 17:54 |只看該作者

14#
發表於 09-6-30 17:59 |只看該作者

15#
發表於 09-6-30 18:02 |只看該作者
I also thank you for your sharing the opinions of yours and other IS parents.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:54 發表
I respect you have your own view. I am also just expressing my views although not everyone will agree with me.

I repeat here my view again and again as I see there are so many parents consider the i ...

16#
發表於 09-7-1 08:58 |只看該作者
Is your daughter accepted to GSIS?  What year will she be in? My daughter will be joining this coming August as well.

On your questions, I can't comment on all aspects as I don't have any personal experience.  But if Chinese is the subject matters, then I would say KCIS will definitely give you an edge on Mandarin in Primary School as GSIS won't start until Year 4.  

Having said that, almost all, if not all, IS students get private Chinese tutoring.  So if I were you, I wouldn't worry that much as HK has a lot of resources for children to learn Chinese.

Factors important to me:

[ 本帖最後由 eaymom 於 09-7-1 09:17 編輯 ]

17#
發表於 09-7-1 20:47 |只看該作者

回覆 3# wisekid2007 的文章

I heard that GSIS accepted at least 2 stephenia last year.

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 09-7-1 20:51 編輯 ]

18#
發表於 09-7-1 23:59 |只看該作者
Hi Everyone,

I really want to thank wisekid2007's comments and information throughout the forum for GSIS. I learned alot from you.

Unfortunately, we do not have the honour to send our daughter to GSIS. After the assessment, she didn't make their writing standard. I agree with their assessment completely.
I will try again next year with my daughter after we work on her writing. Local kindergartens DO NOT have this at all, all it asks my daughter to do is copy sentences, and this is MORE the reason I now know I must switch my daughter to IS, and after the assessment at GSIS, this is my target dream school for my daughter.

Her reading level was 95%, and comprehension was nearly perfect. Waiting for the report to arrive in our mail.

However, what I didn't appreciate was our assessment appointment was moved up last minute because the admissions secretary Ms. J said they have a farewell party at noon, so I rushed big time up to the peak with my daughter at 8:30am.... I definitely was NOT pleased with that. Had no choice, so did it anyways, but daughter was not feeling well too, fell car sick after the rush. Oh well, KCIS it is for us and I think it's not terrible at all.

My husband prefers KCIS because of the Putonghua. Although we have private tutoring since K1, it's still better to have that in the school. But if GSIS accepts my daughter, I will not hesitate to send her there.

I will keep trying.

THANKS everyone !

19#
發表於 09-7-7 13:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:59 發表
**the location and the school hours are not even issues. **

Me too.

P.S. For information, I have heard that in the coming new academic year, there are 8 top DGJS P. 5 girls will switch to GSIS to s ...

DGJS has their problems.
There are lots of kids that would be leaving for other IS as well.

20#
發表於 09-7-7 14:21 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題