搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 應學繁體定簡體
樓主: happy-kid
go

應學繁體定簡體 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-4-15 09:17 |只看該作者
Hi everyone,

I hope you all have an enjoyable holidays. As I mentioned in other thread I hate simplified Chinese because it is a disaster. It cut away our root and mind you the ultimate goal of the so-called simpiflied Chinese movement is to Latinize Chinese character into phonetic symbols like the pin-yin symbols we are using in writing our names. I really don't think it is a good idea. You may notice that even the Korean they have to use traditional Chinese character to write their names in the parliament as the phonetic symbols they are using cannot distinguish a character with the same sound.

I would also like to share with you my message to the Principal of Renaissance College stating the importance of using traditional Chinese character. Some of the points may be out-dated and I also agree that nurturing a reading habit of the kids is very important in learning Chinese, be it using simplified or traditional characters.

Mr. Peter Kenny,
Principal
Renaissance College

Dear Peter,

It was nice meeting you and discussing with you on the issue of using simplified Chinese in the Chinese Curriculum of Renaissance College. I hope it is not too late to voice out my concern on the issue as I have been doing some travelling lately and should have written this email to you earlier.

The Chinese Curriculum in Renaissance College

Unlike other ESF schools Renaissance College draws my attention because of its commitment to quality Chinese Curriculum. The most heartening sentence that caught my eyes in your Chinese Studies Mission Statement is " They can also understand what they read in quality Chinese newspaper like Ming Pao, classical literary works like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or modern literature like Jing Yong's novels" I said to myself this is "The School" that I would send my child to.

My daughter was offered a place in ESF Kindergarten in Tsing Yi in this acamdic year but we finally turned down the offer and the reasons are two folds. Firstly, the timing for the school bus was not convenient but the main reason was we would like our daughter to learn Chinese at an early stage. While we valued a lot the opportunity of gaining a place in ESF Kindergarten we finally gave up the offer. It was a difficult decision to be made. We treasure the way ESF school is adopting in encouraging students to learn by themselves. The cultivation of the habit of reading is the most valuable thing that ESF schools impart on its students.

The "discovery" of Renaissance College offers the "best of two worlds" to our daughter. I registered as an interested party through your website since I found out the address and have been longing to learn about the progress of construction. My wife and I have been eager finding out the curriculum and the enrolment procedure of Renaissance College since we learned about its inception. My wife attended an information day in Beacon Hill School last year and I attended the information day on 20 May.

My heart sank when I learned that the school has been considering using simplified Chinese in the Chinese curriculum.

Simplified Chinese is not conducive to learning

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler",  Albert Einstein.

Peter, to me, simplified Chinese is a disaster. It is most unfortunate that the UN would adopt it in 2008 (?). As I mentioned to you on 20 May while the root of simplified Chinese can be traced back to a few hundred years its basis came from a style in Chinese calligraphy. It is perfectly fine to use simplified Chinese as a calligraphy as it is an art. But it is not preferred as a medium despite the fact that mainland China has been using it since the birth of the PRC. I can tell you that even the academics from the mainland preferred traditional Chinese if they are not wearing an official hat. There was a revival of traditional Chinese in the mainland a few years ago. It was stopped only after the government interfered by adminstrative means.

It is very easy for a person to swith to simplified Chinese if he/she has already learned traditional Chinese. Myself, my friends, my wife and so many others who studied traditional Chinese can share with you our experience. But it is not the other way round. We encounter no difficulty at all when reading newspaper, books, magazines in simplified Chinese. But a students who was taught simplified Chinese would have to make an extra effort to switch back to traditional Chinese.

I strongly believe that if a student who prefers to pursue his/her academic quest in Sinology the knowledge of traditional Chinese is a must. If he/she only knows simplified Chinese he/she will not be able to read all the first hand materials inherited in the past, like the imperial decree from the emperors, correspondence between government officials and the original copy of all the Chinese classics, to name a few . It is a big handicapp for academic research.

I trust Sir David Wilson, the last but one Governor of Hong Kong and a famous Sinologist, would agree with me that learning traditional Chinese helps a lot in his study. I am also sure that if the late Dr. Joseph Needham only knew simplified Chinese he would not be able to produce the Science and Civilization in China series as he would not be able to read the historical files written in traditional Chinese. Other Sinologists like the author of the book China, Empire of the Written Symbols, Cecilia Lindqvist, opposes the use of simplified Chinese both on emotional as well as academic grounds. Inside her book it quotes "... despite the huge changes the written language has undergone, the foundation of the modern language is still the original characters...... Once one has learned to recognize and understand them, they provide a key not only to the written language but also to the reality from which they once came, as well as to life lived today." She used "original characters" instead of traditional character.

The use of tradtional Chinese in its curriculum is a distinct advantage as well as a niche that Renaissance College possesses over other ESF schools not to mention its stronger emphasis on Chinese Studies. Please don't lose your distinctiveness and advantage. I really want my daugther to receive quality education at Renaissance College and be truly bilingual.

Sorry that I'm a bit long-winded but I am really concerned about my daughter's education and I hope you would consider my point before reaching for a decision.

Yours sincerely,

22#
發表於 09-4-15 12:18 |只看該作者
全中,正是我想說的。

只要你可以通曉其中一個繁或簡,那麽相對的另一個根本就不是什麽難事。

原帖由 thankful 於 09-4-15 01:40 發表
我並不太擔心是繁體或簡體, 我最擔心係多睇或少睇, 又或甚至係無睇.  我的小朋友極少起本中文書睇. 這當然同我教導無方有關.  不過在這情況下, 想中文好都幾難!  我相信少睇中文書的問題, 在國際學校的學生中都 ...

23#
發表於 09-4-15 13:13 |只看該作者
我在家是教繁體的.

24#
發表於 09-6-13 00:37 |只看該作者
Definitely using simplified Chinese!

Though I had my education in HK with all traditional Chinese, I can see the future will only go for simplified Chinese:
1. There are already 1.3 billion people using it and they are the most influencial group in the world now.
2. They dictate the future of all chinese including all abroad, in HK, Macau and Taiwan (Taiwan is actually promoting more usage of simplied Chinese to please PRC)
3. Basically, simplied/traditional Chinese to many educated people is the same. And nowadays, we don't write, we "type" all kind of Chinese. The input of either chinese is not much different.

BTW, "全國政協委員" is only someone in the Community Party but not the Boss.

25#
發表於 09-6-13 00:53 |只看該作者
Hi,

I truely understand why you love traditional chinese, as I did 10 years ago. But look forward and look outside HK, you will know that the trend and history is now biased to Mainland China. I think many HK people are quite miserable that we are being left behind in the big trend, not because of our inability to catch up but our inability to understand who is leading the trend - China, not HK.

My opinion is HK has only ~10 years' prospect (given Shanghai is the designated financial hub by Chinese government) and our all other industries have either died or are dying. So, why don't we plan for our children to adopt to a new era of China. Try to accept the way mainlander think and write. Forget about cantonese and traditional Chinese. They have no future.

I have a vision about my kid that he will not live and work in HK when he's grown up. Maybe in some cities in China.

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-4-15 09:17 發表
Hi everyone,

I hope you all have an enjoyable holidays. As I mentioned in other thread I hate simplified Chinese because it is a disaster. It cut away our root and mind you the ultimate goal of the s ...

26#
發表於 09-6-13 05:29 |只看該作者
Read from news recently that Taiwan is also suggesting a compromise :  Able to read traditional Chinese but write in simplified Chinese as the population of mainland Chinese is so much more than that in Taiwan and HK!

I believe we have no choice no matter how much we dislike simplified Chinese.  So I ensure that my kids can read in both traditional and simplified Chinese, and can choose to write in either type as they prefer.

27#
發表於 09-6-14 01:23 |只看該作者
Type 406,

First of all, the CPPCC members are not necessarily communist party members and you are right that they are not the party boss but the Chairman of CPPCC is definitely a communist party member.

I'm afraid you are too simple. I did not say rejecting simplified Chinese but we have to learn traditional Chinese at school and it will be easy for the kids to switch to simplified Chinese. I myself worked in mainland some years ago and I found no problem to adjust. Some of my mainland colleagues are very interested in learning traditional Chinese.

China has a long tradition of using traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese side by side. As long as it is a natural evolution I have no objection but the way the communist castrated traditional Chinese characters was simply to eradicate the Chinese culture. If we in Hong Kong do not treasure our own culture it is almost definite to say that Chinese culture will gradually evapourate as our children will not be able to read the classics written more than a thousand years ago.

WYmom,

Pls read carefully what President Ma said - to read traditional Chinese and write simplified Chinese as it serves the purpose. I totally agree that it is a sensible saying and, in fact, it has been doing for centuries. When I was still in high school we also wrote simplified Chinese from time to time. It was only the exam authority did not accept simplified Chinese that we only used it between friends and classmates.

As you said it is important to know both simplified and traditional Chinese. It is ideal to learn both but if the kid does not have so much time learning traditional Chinese will help him/her to know simplified Chinese easily but it is a bit difficult vice versa.

Hong Kong people is very practical but I would say the reason why that Chinese culture can last for so long is the power of our characters that have been using for centuries without much disruption. But we are facing a real danger of eradication amidst communist holocaust on Chinese culture - simplified Chinese is only one of the manifestation among numerous atrocities.

It is alright for IS to adopt simplified Chinese as they only account for a small portion of the students. The real danger is whether this 'shoe-shining" govt. might adopt simplified Chinese some time later. It may be the  time for me to emigrate as whether staying in HK or moving away does not make any difference.

This is an important topic that one cannot think of it simply from economic point of view or political reality. I am a bit long-winded and it's time for me to went to bed.

Bye

28#
發表於 09-6-14 14:53 |只看該作者
I've said what you think was my thought 10 years ago. The future trend is already presented in front of you, which we can't resist as we're too little. The tiny stuff as simple as simplified/traditional Chinese has already made you so nervous, how can you deal with other big things?

By the way, political and economy (other than religion) are the 2 major factors that write the history of human beings. If you ignore those, how can you shape the future of your kids?

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-6-14 01:23 發表
Type 406,

First of all, the CPPCC members are not necessarily communist party members and you are right that they are not the party boss but the Chairman of CPPCC is definitely a communist party memb ...

29#
發表於 09-6-14 23:01 |只看該作者
I'm no Chinese literary, but from a cultural point of view, I do understand where Wingba comes from.  'Traditional' characters have survived the test of time and lived through numerous dramatic political and economic changes.  Aborting traditional characters is like cutting off part of Chinese civilisation which has been the fabric of our culture for thousands of years.  Think about all the historical documentations, paintings, calligraphies, all of which we still have the good fortune of appreciating (if we want to).  Decades on, such fortune will probably be the privilege of serious Chinese scholars.   Hong Kong and Taiwan are like the lame torch bearers of this civilisation.  While the inevitable trend is to follow China, the change is still in my opinion, emotionally difficult.

From a day-to-day perspective, I don't think it's hard for either the 'traditionals' to pick up simplified, or vice versa.   My son learns 'simplified'.   I'm so used to it now that I don't even bat an eye writing the characters, let alone reading it.   And I never hear any mainland Chinese in Hong Kong complaining about adjusting to 'traditional'.   Technology also helps us tremendously by switching back & forth with a click of a button.  So learning one or the other is really not such a big deal.   I do agree with Thankful that the bigger challenge for international school children is to embrace more Chinese, like read more, write more, speak more.  Accomplishing that itself is an achievement.

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-6-14 01:23 發表
Type 406,

First of all, the CPPCC members are not necessarily communist party members and you are right that they are not the party boss but the Chairman of CPPCC is definitely a communist party memb ...

30#
發表於 09-6-15 08:49 |只看該作者
Type 409,

There is something that can last for centuries, not decades. Don't belittle yourself. Tiny HK is the most important successful criterion for China's modernization. If you belittle yourself so easily how can you nurture your kid to explore the brave new world of the mainland, as you mentioned. The mainlanders are teasing Hongkongers as "Kong Chan" already. I found this okay as we did mock at them as " Ah Chan" for sometimes, as long as we have our own belief (not the belief in money is everything as our most of our compatriats do, or power is everything, as most of my fellow Hong Kongers do) we can be an upright person and take the lead.

What you are saying is what Bismarck said "Real Politik" But Hong Kong has not nurture a political figure with the will power and shrewdness as Bismarck. Everything can be reduced to politics. Dr. Sun Yat sen said "Politics is people's business" What I have said is it is alright if the society gradually evolves to use simplified Chinese but not adopting it by political order.

Just like the so called "mother-tongue" education. Using your logic you should embrace it and send your child to local Chinese school (Oh, I am not sure if your kids are studying in IS or local) because it the the BIG govt. machine that want us to do. But I can still save a penny and send my kid to IS to avoid this wrong doing. It is not easy but I did my part to ensure my kid have quality education.

Do you see the difference?

31#
發表於 09-6-15 10:10 |只看該作者
Learning a language requires constant interaction with the real life.  The real life in Hong Kong is in traditional Chinese.  So, I opt for traditional Chinese education for my child even though the ESF teaches simplified Chinese.  The most important thing is that my child can read the signs on the street, or the newspaper headings, or the TV's subtitles during the learning process.  If I am in Singapore or in Mainland China, I would opt for teaching my child in simplified Chinese for the same reason as above.  

If I am in the USA, I definitely would use the traditional Chinese as this is the common form widely used there.

32#
發表於 09-6-15 12:36 |只看該作者
原帖由 Wingba 於 09-6-15 08:49 發表
Type 409,

There is something that can last for centuries, not decades. Don't belittle yourself. Tiny HK is the most important successful criterion for China's modernization. If you belittle yourself  ...

Agree with Wingba.
Thanks for the British Empire, Traditional Chinese is still one of a few cultural heritage for Hong Kong Chinese after the age of colony.
I do not see any reasons why, as a Hong Kong Chinese, I should give up Traditional Chinese just because China is getting politically and economically strong in the coming decades/centuries.
If that is the case, why not emmigrate to Mainland China directly and even apply to be a member of China Communist Party as well?

33#
發表於 09-6-15 20:29 |只看該作者
原帖由 oooray 於 09-6-15 12:36 發表

Agree with Wingba.
Thanks for the British Empire, Traditional Chinese is still one of a few cultural heritage for Hong Kong Chinese after the age of colony.
I do not see any reasons why, as a Hong Ko ...

Oooray,

It is a shame that the Chinese culture was preserved by colonialist not Chinese. It is also a dismay that people feel HK is better under the rule of the British than Chinese. We have too many pragmatists, far too many...

34#
發表於 09-6-15 22:37 |只看該作者
一定學繁體.除了各位家長所陳述的各項理由之外,仲有:因為內地出版同言論自由受限制,簡體字的書的內容很受局限,但繁體字書則是齊各家之言,因為單是台灣出版的已是一大知識寶藏.

35#
發表於 09-6-16 07:57 |只看該作者
原帖由 Wingba 於 09-6-15 20:29 發表

Oooray,

It is a shame that the Chinese culture was preserved by colonialist not Chinese. It is also a dismay that people feel HK is better under the rule of the British than Chinese. We have too ma ...

Wingba,
the worst scenario is that pragmatism becomes "trendy" and start adopting by the majority.
Other than traditional and simplified Chinese, what is the difference between HK and China?
Seems stretching too far away...

36#
發表於 09-6-16 12:30 |只看該作者
Other than traditional and simplified Chinese, what is the difference between HK and China?

It is exactly that the Chinese communists do not want Hong Kong to be different from other parts of China. They do not want Hong Kongers to be the elite ones.
So they introduced the mother tongue education to Hong Kong, to take away the English education in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is gradually being "mainland-ised" by the Chinese communists.
If we do not try to protect what we have always had, we will lose our competitive edge sooner.
I said sooner because I believe one day we will be genuinely same of everywhere else in China. But I want this to happen less sooner.
Protect our English. Protect the use of traditional Chinese.

37#
發表於 09-6-16 13:30 |只看該作者
原帖由 nintendo 於 09-6-16 12:30 發表

It is exactly that the Chinese communists do not want Hong Kong to be different from other parts of China. They do not want Hong Kongers to be the elite ones.
So they introduced the mother tongue ed ...

Yup. Learning Simpified Chinese is fine.
It doesn't mean we have to give up Traditional Chinese, our faith, our soul...

38#
發表於 09-6-18 11:27 |只看該作者
Hi all,

You may be interested in listening to last night 光明頂 which discussed about 正體字與簡體字。

Cheers

39#
發表於 09-6-18 12:46 |只看該作者

回覆 38# Wingba 的文章

What is 光明頂?

40#
發表於 09-6-19 08:37 |只看該作者
It's a radio programme running on commercial radio 1 from Monday to Friday night.

Starts at 11:00pm after the news and finishes at 12:00 midnight.

Cheers,
‹ 上一主題|下一主題