用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 讀國際學校有什麼出路?
查看: 4042|回覆: 20
go

讀國際學校有什麼出路?

發表於 09-3-30 08:01 |顯示全部帖子
讀國際學校,中文程度一定不及傳統學校,咁係香港搵工會唔會有困難?佢地通常會做邊類工作(在香港)?

發表於 09-3-30 10:17 |顯示全部帖子
有什麼出路?我以前d老板全部係鬼佬,全部係高層,中文唔好講話read and write,講都唔識,要翻譯documents?揾d small potato做囉,中文聽唔明?我哋就佢講英文囉,香港份工麻麻?去泰國,中東,德國....囉,全世界都有得撈,做乜要局限喺香港啫?

讀國際學校,英文好,中文又叻過鬼佬,點會無出路?我做咗咁多年嘢,99% read and write in English,中文?久唔久會要睇下嘅,寫就更加絕無僅有,反而講普通話就經常會,國際學校全部用普通話教中文,細細個已經接觸普通話,加上國際學校學生一般較主動,有創意,有國際視野,有獨立思考能力,有領導才能,有解決問題能力............未來社會要嘅係呢d人呀!中文翻譯英文?揾個靚仔or祕書做囉,要pro d,揾translator囉,簡單嘢揾部快譯通都得.

發表於 09-3-30 14:07 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 foreverbb 於 09-3-30 08:01 發表
讀國際學校,中文程度一定不及傳統學校,咁係香港搵工會唔會有困難?佢地通常會做邊類工作(在香港)?

I think it also depends on which university and which subject they are going to take in university.

International school students do not merely look at what is available locally in Hong Kong. International school students are targeting tertiary educations in the US, Canada, England, etc. and if available a career over there even.

They do not stay in universities in Hong Kong not because they cannot, but because they probably did not even apply to one. They do not come back to Hong Kong to work not because they cannot find a job here, but because they have better opportunities elsewhere.

People move with their jobs. I do not think anyone should limit oneself to jobs or career in one place. I myself have lived in different cities in the US and Canada. Why limit yourself to Hong Kong or China when there is a whole world out there?

Of course, if you are talking about fringe science, like animal cloning, space science, etc, there are probably less (or even nil) oppotunities in Hong Kong. However, in general, I see that even gweilos can find jobs in Hong Kong, so I do not see why our kids cannot.

發表於 09-3-30 14:56 |顯示全部帖子
最壞打算都可以教英文既......

唔好意思,我個人比較多憂慮,我個仔先兩歲,已經諗定佢將來會做咩工,因為我見香港好多工都要中文會考合格,如果到時冇機會出國工作,想睇下香港有咩工係唔洗睇中文成績囉

發表於 09-3-30 20:35 |顯示全部帖子
You are thinking far too advance.  Who knows what HK will be like after 20+ years.

原帖由 foreverbb 於 09-3-30 14:56 發表
最壞打算都可以教英文既......

唔好意思,我個人比較多憂慮,我個仔先兩歲,已經諗定佢將來會做咩工,因為我見香港好多工都要中文會考合格,如果到時冇機會出國工作,想睇下香港有咩工係唔洗睇中文成績囉 ...
EsmondMaMa = Esmond'sMom

發表於 09-4-16 23:25 |顯示全部帖子
I feel the labour market is changing in Hong Kong.  One of my girl friends, coming from Canada, good at both English and Chinese, finally got a secretary job with a big PRC firm.  All her superiors are from Mainland, not writing or speaking good English.  She was there to help to translate and handle English documents. She got very upset because she was senior management before going to Canada.

She is simply unlucky? or more companies have changed to PRC managment, weakening significance of English ?

發表於 09-4-17 10:07 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-4-17 10:51 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 stevema 於 09-4-16 23:25 發表
I feel the labour market is changing in Hong Kong.  One of my girl friends, coming from Canada, good at both English and Chinese, finally got a secretary job with a big PRC firm.  All her superiors ar ...

You stated it. "A big PRC firm".
I doubt whether they have ever used anyone without a PRC background as senior management.

I would not say your friend is unlucky. Just that it is probably not easy to find a job that matches her experience. Job hunting is that practical. If you are headhunted, you are likely to get a very good package. If you hunt for a job, you need to lower your expectations.

And then there is this musical chair scenario. Once you left that job, someone would fill it. And there would be no more seats for you when you come back. This usually has nothing to do with one's language skills or background.

發表於 09-4-18 12:14 |顯示全部帖子
If your friend work in HSBC or Swire it will be totally different. But they are hiring people or not is another questions......

發表於 09-4-18 15:57 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 壞女孩 於 09-3-30 10:17 發表
有什麼出路?我以前d老板全部係鬼佬,全部係高層,中文唔好講話read and write,講都唔識,要翻譯documents?揾d small potato做囉,中文聽唔明?我哋就佢講英文囉,香港份工麻麻?去泰國,中東,德國....囉,全世界都有得撈,做乜 ...

我覺得你講得好有道理, 最討厭有些家長一跟他們講自己的小朋友的英文比較流利的時候那個: 你難道忘了你是中國人嗎? 你可真崇洋媚外啊. 的表情!

發表於 09-4-18 23:33 |顯示全部帖子
What a succinct way of putting this into perspective.   

With growing number of overseas-educated PRC people graduating from top tier schools, having MBAs if not PhDs popping up in our society, I would say our future generation needs to aim for, and at the minimum, Scenario 2 to stay competitive in the job market.

原帖由 thankful 於 09-4-17 10:07 發表
I see it this way.  Let's start by stating the obvious.  In general, Gweilos are good in English and bad in Chinese.  PRC people are good at Chinese (Putonghua + Simplified Chinese?) and bad in Englis ...

發表於 09-4-19 00:46 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 popolung 於 09-4-18 12:14 發表
If your friend work in HSBC or Swire it will be totally different. But they are hiring people or not is another questions......

You are right that those big firms hire people of good English.  I actually have friends working in these groups, senior management, graduate from HKU or CU, good English and Chinese.  If looking for native English speaker, they prefer hiring white people, I was told, not sure if this is true...

My girl friend should be on Scenario (2).  Though she is good in both languages, still can't get a good job, so the successful formula should be: PRC background + good Chinese + good English = good job opportunities (?)

[ 本帖最後由 stevema 於 09-4-19 11:05 編輯 ]

發表於 09-4-25 13:37 |顯示全部帖子
Can't agree more.  Actually, I've been discussing with my hubby the same recently.  My son is just one year old and there is still some time for us to consider.  The four scenarios are exactly what we have threshed out earlier.  It's becoming far too obvious that Hong Kong people's edge of better English is diminishing, with thousands of Mainland students going overseas to study now.  To us, I would say, Hong Kong students can NEVER achieve the same Chinese standards as Chinese students.  So, the only choice is to strengthen our English standards and make sure that we're as good as gwailo.   

Picking an international school of our choice is not easy though, with our idea of keeping a min. acceptable standard of chinese at the back of our mind. I like GSIS, but their Chinese teaching is extremely weak and starts very late (at the age of 8).  FIS is the same.  ESF has been ruled out as I'll be on HK island side and I'm not in favour of putting my son into HKIS or South Island School (both always known to produce secondary students with discipline problems) when he goes up to the secondary level.  So, I'm considering ISF Academy - a "quasi-international" as I would describe it.  Philosophy-wise, it stresses both English and Chinese (using Putonghua) teaching.  Students can either speak english or PTH in school (i.e. no Cantonese, not even with classmates); small class (with 10+ students in each class only).  However, as the school is still quite new, it lacks the track record for us, as parents, to evaluate how it really puts its philosophy into practice and the effectiveness in terms of student learning outcome.   

So, we're still scratching our head now... Anyone can shed light or share their further views here?

原帖由 JJsMama 於 09-4-18 23:33 發表
What a succinct way of putting this into perspective.   

With growing number of overseas-educated PRC people graduating from top tier schools, having MBAs if not PhDs popping up in our society, I wou ...

發表於 09-4-27 10:41 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-4-27 11:01 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Wisekid:

Could you kindly share what do you give (like courses, materials...) and how do you help your boy in Chinese learning? I am the kind of parent who is aiming for your said scenario Five. My boy is going to join P1 this summer.

Please share.

Thank you.

發表於 09-5-11 16:47 |顯示全部帖子
ISF is not an international school.

原帖由 Ann0805 於 09-4-25 13:37 發表
Can't agree more.  Actually, I've been discussing with my hubby the same recently.  My son is just one year old and there is still some time for us to consider.  The four scenarios are exactly what we ...

發表於 09-5-11 17:37 |顯示全部帖子
Do u have anymore details of ISF?? I think it's an international school.

The ISF Academy Program is the school’s educational program based on International Baccalaureate (IB) philosophy coupled with Putonghua language immersion. MYP is the IB Middle Years Program and DP is the IB Diploma Program.

發表於 09-5-11 18:03 |顯示全部帖子
ISF is not an international school, it is a private independent school.

原帖由 狄麗絲 於 09-5-11 17:37 發表
Do u have anymore details of ISF?? I think it's an international school.

The ISF Academy Program is the school’s educational program based on International Baccalaureate (IB) philosophy coupled with ...

發表於 09-5-12 09:16 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-5-12 10:00 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks. How about this "ISF" school can u give me some comments?