用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Want help? Not being accepted by ESF?
樓主: King'sMom
go

Want help? Not being accepted by ESF?

發表於 09-3-19 14:06 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 popolung 於 09-3-19 13:44 發表

Well, you can do that. But there are some ESF schools I heard that will try to test Cat 1 students if they can speak Cantonese. If yes, failed. So take your own risk if you do that. Of course someho ...

It's really hard for my son to speak English only as his grandma and grandpa speak Cantonese.  Although my son can speak fluent English, he can also speak fluent Cantonese (but cannot read or write).  So I guess my son will probably in Cat 2 even though holding an overseas passport.

發表於 09-3-19 14:41 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cchan0311 於 09-3-19 14:06 發表

It's really hard for my son to speak English only as his grandma and grandpa speak Cantonese.  Although my son can speak fluent English, he can also speak fluent Cantonese (but cannot read or write) ...

As told, take your own risk if you want to say he is English Speaking only.  Still have time for you to turnaround this (not impossible), and train him as speaking english only. But then there are a lot of things to change, like how he said going to "VV", the name of the helper, Daddy but not baba, etc. As simple as these pharses. Good Luck.

發表於 09-3-19 20:57 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Popolung

Great to see from other threads that ESF CWB offered a place to your daughter.  Congratulations!

It surprised to me when saying that there was Cat 3 about two years ago.  Now that non-native English speakers such as Japanese/Korean/Indian are classified as Cat 1 and they have higher priority of interview over the ones under Cat 2.

For those local HK kids who hold foreign plus local passport, it is saying here that their parents were born but raised, worked & lived in English-speaking country for a long period of time.  It is pretty sad to hear that the kids are still be treated as Cat 2.  

I know a mixed kid who can speak fluent Cantonese and English.  The kid's mum is a local HK lady whereas daddy is Malayasian.  The kid holds local & foreign passport.  Is she treated as Cat 1 or Cat 2?   

I am puzzled by the categorization as ESF set out.   I however trust that ESF would review the Cat system and those kids who are 'Dual National'.  

BR

發表於 09-3-19 21:33 |顯示全部帖子
my case is my husband is foreigner and english is not his first language, my kid can speak both cantonese and other language, english is 2nd language, she also holds foreign ppt, but she was in waitlist at first when applied K1, so she's definitely in cat 2.

原帖由 Mornington 於 09-3-19 20:57 發表
Hi Popolung

Great to see from other threads that ESF CWB offered a place to your daughter.  Congratulations!

It surprised to me when saying that there was Cat 3 about two years ago.  Now that non-na ...

[ 本帖最後由 mirimiri 於 09-3-19 21:37 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-19 23:46 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Mornington 於 09-3-19 20:57 發表
Hi Popolung

It surprised to me when saying that there was Cat 3 about two years ago.  Now that non-na ...

Thanks a lot. That really bother me for quite a while until she got admitted. Too bad there are some classmates failed in interviews though...

I am quite sure that the Cat system depends on if you hold an overseas passport, then what you wrote about the language proficiency of your kid.

If one want to hide about the kid's Cantonese speaking capability, either you have to train your kid not to speak Chinese at all time, or take your own risk. Some ESF may not test, but some does.. good luck.

發表於 09-3-25 14:45 |顯示全部帖子
popolung,
pls can you share how you promote your daughter's English language proficiency apart from the 3-hr kindy life?
My son is one of the youngest in class and his language skills (whether Cantonese or English) slacks slightly behind his age group. Therefore, I want to know how I can prepare him better for the interview. Grateful if you can share your experience. Thanks.

發表於 09-3-25 15:22 |顯示全部帖子
while I understand the ESF category system does bother some parents...... I just want to share that even those in Cat 1 would worry about their kids not being admitted.... she is my Indian friend from ESF whose 1st language is English...... of course she got admitted at last...... the main point is competition is just too keen, so better focus on improving your child's English proficiency -- good spoken English is the key to admission, I supppose...

發表於 09-3-25 23:19 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mother30 於 09-3-25 14:45 發表
popolung,
pls can you share how you promote your daughter's English language proficiency apart from the 3-hr kindy life?
My son is one of the youngest in class and his language skills (whether Cantone ...

As said before, there is no shortcuts. You need to spend more time with your daughter, read more storys, watch more English DVD, movie (with her not she watches alone), go to more English playgroup. On holiday go to some English speaking countries like UK, Australia or even Singapore. Soak her in complete English environment.

Parents need to sacrifice a lot. For example, can you give up what you like after your office hour, for example, not watching "Laughing Kor" at TVB and watch Playhouse Disney channel with your kids, or read story book with her? Ask yourselves. The more time you can be with her, the better future she will be. Good Luck.

發表於 09-3-25 23:23 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mother30 於 09-3-25 15:22 發表
while I understand the ESF category system does bother some parents...... I just want to share that even those in Cat 1 would worry about their kids not being admitted.... she is my Indian friend from ...

To be fair, normal ESF school (excluding RC & DC), received subsidy from HKSAR Gov't to educate kid who can't fit in local education system (since they can't speak cantonese), so parents should not blame the ESF system for Cat 2. For keen competition in Cat 1, it is because of the overwhelming demand this year, and also mean ESF doesn't take every Cat 1 they interviewed, so that at least standard is maintained (up to the level they require is good English skill as this is their medium of teaching in school)

發表於 09-3-27 22:57 |顯示全部帖子
popolung,
Thanks for your sharing.

發表於 09-3-28 00:39 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mother30 於 09-3-27 22:57 發表
popolung,
Thanks for your sharing.

welcome!