密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 九龍塘宣道小學 violin class
發新帖
查看: 1316|回覆: 2
go

violin class

發表於 09-3-6 10:44 |顯示全部帖子
I think you have to think twice before you started the violin class with the violin instructor from APS

His qualification didn’t worth to charge so high(300 /30 mins; 500/45 mins, & 625/hr). Pls be adv. that that he’s only a graduate from APA.
He isn’t a violinist in any orchestra or affiliate to any organization.
Plus APS fail the interschool competition under his conducting for many years.

His general reputation is no good, just listen to the parents of the old boys & girls from APS or goto any private music company (i once to go buy a bow for my girl and the lady from the shop ask me who is your instructor, when i said the name, everyone ask me to change.  When i ask why, they give me tones of reason....i hear too much negative comment from
those in this discipline.

But make me concern is he didn’t really concern about his student, he never have a plan for his student.. Every class and year are heading nowhere…

I read one of the parent mention in the forum said most of the student who won in HKSMSA or get good marks from ABSRM were all having a private teacher or APA(of course he don’t know, but this is all known by the most of the parents) He only take the credits and boost it.

A sad news are most of his student failed the ABSRM exam last slot(Sept - Nov). actually some parents are angry because he didn’t try his best to help the student to prepare the exam. He only blamed on the student:  not well prepared, too many activities, should not join any other team but violin.  At the same time, i wanted to ask how could a violin teacher not bring his violin to most of the class?
Besides, I think I know why...
Every class just go by nothing, sometime play the competition pc, sometimes lay the orchestra pc… Talking about any exam or competition, my experience is he will just help you to choose 3 pieces and force you to study yourself (how could a primary student study the pcs by herself?)
He will revise it with you during class but always very easy to get angry, shouted, yelled and compare your chlld with others (said xx could play well with this pc within 1 weeks, how come you can’t…). At the very end, he will ask you to book a time with his friend as pianist so the lady will revise the pcs and other with you.

AAs parents, we also feel regret and think we make a big big mistake.  Our girl was always under fear and extremely depressed and she always wanted to quit ..

But why the student becomes his 1 to 1 students? Or still his student, it was because of pressure;.
Do you know how he teaches in group?
Yelled to the student, especially those without parents’ accompany.
Many of student failed to continue because they can’t stand this kind of teaching method (very different than the teachers from APS, they are kind and caring)
If your child has his/her own violin teacher already, of course you will have a lot of difficult words to listen during the class.
We are those who thought he will be nicer when 1 to 1…

b.

Due to convenience, no need to travel after class or he knows what to prepare for the school exam. And hope that the student will get good marks in your report card.

c.
He is the conductor of school, we think it’s easy to get in or sit in a good position in the orchestra… And fear to quit because may encounter more fear in music class or orchestra.

According to my girl, his conducting method is to yell and to angry. Especially to those who play in the ball team.
Practically to a the boy, he have great bias on them.
My girl also participates in a well known youth orchestra.
She told me that the conductor is serious but nice.
The conductor will guide them to learn and to know how to play and understand the sheet music.
Here in APS, he only force them to play the music, and must be well.
Until now, she doesn’t understand the meaning or the music at all.
She called herself a robot in the orchestra .
All she know is she will be scared because the door will close if she is late, the conductor will yelled if you make a mistake, or if he “choose” to be angry with you, you will be moved to the back of your team.
And you will be kicked out from the orchestra.
Therefore, some of her schoolmate rather stayed in junior or immediate orchestra in order to play safe.

As we can’t sit in every class, we are much worry that he will cross with my girl (as I could see this happen to other student)
On the other hand, I have to convince my girl to stay until she get into a secondary school.
Frankly,
I am also sending her to a private teacher in order to have a proper training.
After we started with other teacher, I start to understand my girl can improve so much…and play so well.

Besides the above, I always have some question in mind:

I know that some parents had compliant that He is so rude and discouraging to the students but how come the school still keep him?

He is using the classroom to teach the students from other school, some are graduate of APS, some are relatives of the APS students.
Did he report to school how many student he is currently teaching, and paying tax?
I heard that he refuse to receive any form of payment except cash, is it the way to avoid paying tax.
As a Christian school, is it proper?
Did the school know or receive a commission?
Besides, did the school know someone is doing business at school, ie selling expensive violin and bow to the students?

He teaches student at school after school hours, will the insurance cover?

The school orchestra have fail for so many times.
In the past,APS won in the past because of not much competitors.
Now other school , like DBS, ST, Pauls, CCC is picking up because they hire very good conductor.
And my friend , who are a musician accompany me to watch the HKSMSA last year told me that APS orchestra made quite some mistakes for the pcs they played.
They played well as a whole, but not the details.
Some comment on the conducting …

Sorry for the long message but this is all from the bottom of my heart, I just want the newcomers think carefully before you make the decision.
Otherwise, you may need to follow my footstep.
(Wanted to quit but scare that he will have bias on my girl in school work or orchestra)
Good luck and hope all of you find a good teacher.

發表於 09-3-6 12:12 |顯示全部帖子
What a pity, indeed shame, to hear of this. I felt yr grievance in the long message and deeply shared the sorrow for those parents, and particularly, the young kids.
May i know if you have ever reported, or discussed this with the Principal?

發表於 09-3-11 09:57 |顯示全部帖子
i think this is life, every parent has different struggle in diff stage.

Yes, we did reflect our view as others did.  Maybe the voice is not bigger than the power/charm of him.  I think the school will do sth if they can hear more voices.  Sometimes i would think maybe my girl is not smart enough and maybe becasue we parents are music-idoit so we are not in line with this kind of teaching method.  Others maybe okay?   

frankly, my girl get accept by another school, this is our choice.  we don't agree and don't appreciate what we seem.  But we still like the school, the principal and teachers of APS.

Good wishes to all of you!

原帖由 j3579 於 09-3-6 12:12 發表
What a pity, indeed shame, to hear of this. I felt yr grievance in the long message and deeply shared the sorrow for those parents, and particularly, the young kids.
May i know if you have ever report ...