用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Any "Pure" Hong Kong Kid being accepted by ESF Prima ...
樓主: tpoon
go

Any "Pure" Hong Kong Kid being accepted by ESF Primary School ? [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 09-2-11 13:41 |只看該作者
原帖由 oooray 於 09-2-11 13:12 發表

Yup! I heard quite a number of applicants applied RC this year as their 2nd choices (some of them with silbings in ESF schools; their experiences are that some applicants with siblings might not get  ...

Yes, as RC & DC are in MOS and Discovery Bay respectively, if you got offer from an traditioanl ESF closer to your house, say QBS for HK East or CWBS for Kln East or TKO, then you will not consider RC apparently, regardless of their educational level diff or IB related stuff, etc. Just my 2 cents. Anyway good luck to all who are still waiting for RC or other ESF Y1 result.

42#
發表於 09-2-11 13:59 |只看該作者
原帖由 popolung 於 09-2-11 13:41 發表

Yes, as RC & DC are in MOS and Discovery Bay respectively, if you got offer from an traditioanl ESF closer to your house, say QBS for HK East or CWBS for Kln East or TKO, then you will not consider  ...

Ha! DC competition is very keen, although rarely being discussed here. 270 applicants chasing for 90 places...From their website, they said "lucky enough they can "offer" interview to ALL Cat 1 and ESF kinda students" [something like that]
This should be a dream school (high non-Chinese:Chinese ratio, brand-new campus [with exceptionally low utility : it will take 3 more years to fill up the school!], preciousnly 90 space available) if you don't mind traveling to and fro DB everyday; or simply move there.

43#
發表於 09-2-11 16:52 |只看該作者
原帖由 oooray 於 09-2-11 13:59 發表

Ha! DC competition is very keen, although rarely being discussed here. 270 applicants chasing for 90 places...From their website, they said "lucky enough they can "offer" interview to ALL Cat 1 and E ...

This is what it said on DC website:

Student enrolments
The College is currently looking at the enrolment of students who have applied for spaces in Year 1 and Year 7 for August. As with last year, the College received an overwhelming number of applications, particularly in Year 1 where over 270 applications were received for the 90 available spaces. Luckily we have been able to offer interviews for all siblings and students at ESL kindergartens. Likewise, we received over 110 applications for 30 spaces in Year 7. We are also looking to increase the number of students next year in Years 8&9, and an advertising campaign for this has commenced. Any families who may be considering this option for their children are asked to please contact the College by email [email protected] or phone on 3969 1000.

http://www.discovery.edu.hk/content.php?contentid=9

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-11 16:56 編輯 ]

44#
發表於 09-2-11 17:11 |只看該作者
Hi All,

Can someone tell me how many classes/places to offer for Y1 in both RC and DC...just curious. Thank you.

45#
發表於 09-2-11 17:14 |只看該作者
原帖由 VVMUM 於 09-2-11 17:11 發表
Hi All,

Can someone tell me how many classes/places to offer for Y1 in both RC and DC...just curious. Thank you.

For Y1, RC is 150 and DC is 90.  

46#
發表於 09-2-12 11:45 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

Thankyou Popolung.

I am puzzling why the competition for ESF schools in N.T., especially for SJS and RC are so keen, because based on your information, there are 150 places in RC, 90 places in DC, another 150 places (correct me if i am wrong) with SJS. So all together we have about 390 places in these 3 schools. As far as I know ESF TY only has about 170-180 kids but they are coming from large catchment zones including Kln, N.T., and Lantau Island. Of course now we will have another new ESF Kinder in WKS (don't know how many classes will be there) but still I don't understand why there is so severe competition of places in these school??? Can someone give me some insights??? Thanks.

47#
發表於 09-2-12 12:45 |只看該作者
原帖由 VVMUM 於 09-2-12 11:45 發表
Thankyou Popolung.

I am puzzling why the competition for ESF schools in N.T., especially for SJS and RC are so keen, because based on your information, there are 150 places in RC, 90 places in DC, an ...

I guess:
1. ESF application is free of charge (except RC/DC). Why not fill a form for one more option to choose/discard even though ESF will not be your choice eventually?
2. The rules of the game makes most Cat. 1 applicants fill up the space first. Limited Cat 2 applicants can have the chance to fill up the rest space(if available) and the rest (most of them should be from Cat 2) should be wait patiently until someone drops their offer (What a tragedy!)
3. Theoretically, everybody can apply ESF. Thanks to our daily changing Education Bureau, more parents try to quit the traditional stream;
4. Even ESF herself encourage u to apply more school due to keen competition (That was the first message I got from my school tour in DC : this year there are so many Cat 1 (silbings/staff/so and  so...) and you will have a low chance if u are in Cat 2...but don't be afraid...u will be on the waiting list for the coming 12 years as long as u pay the application fee and do not refuse to be placed on the waiting list...)

48#
發表於 09-2-12 14:49 |只看該作者
Dear parents: SJS interviews not only the applicants but also the parents. I'm afraid no tricking by "clever parents" is possible.
I have no idea about other ESF primary schools.

原帖由 bbtung 於 09-2-10 16:30 發表
Dear oooray,

"Clever" local parents pretend to be a Cat. 1 applicants (then get a chance for interview in the first round) by declaring their children do not speak Cantonese.........  Ha Ha Ha !!

T ...

49#
發表於 09-2-13 11:22 |只看該作者
My child and I did declared on paper that we both know Cantonese and I did talk to the local staff in Cantonese during the interview.  It is really how good you and your child can communicate in English rather than testing a person's Cantonese skill that counts.  My daughter got accepted (verbally) right at spot.  So, what is the problem?  

The teachers, principal and staff I encountered at ESF school were very friendly and reasonable people.  I don't think they discriminate us for knowing Cantonese.  Their concern seems to be more on English skill.  My child can talk to me in Cantonese, and my friends in English and other in Mandarin, almost instantly.  So, having the policy from those ESF bureacrats is one thing, in practise, people are reasonable.

50#
發表於 09-2-13 14:33 |只看該作者
原帖由 Onsen 於 09-2-13 11:22 發表
My child and I did declared on paper that we both know Cantonese and I did talk to the local staff in Cantonese during the interview.  It is really how good you and your child can communicate in Engli ...

which school are you in finally?

51#
發表於 09-2-13 15:05 |只看該作者
I second you.  I dont feel any discriminations at all for using Cantonese.  The school (ESF) is really looking for children who can fit it an English medium school.  And that's why they give priorities to Cat. 1 children.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

52#
發表於 09-2-13 15:11 |只看該作者
One of the primary school on Hong Kong side.

原帖由 popolung 於 09-2-13 14:33 發表

which school are you in finally?

53#
發表於 09-2-13 17:00 |只看該作者
原帖由 Onsen 於 09-2-13 15:11 發表
One of the primary school on Hong Kong side.

I guess it may be QBS. Some schools has a higher mix of local students while some are not. So their judging criterias are different too. Just wild guess. But anyway your kids are in, so congratulation!

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-13 17:12 編輯 ]

54#
發表於 09-2-13 17:14 |只看該作者
Thanks!  I am happy of my choice.  That was the only school that I applied.

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-10-16 14:45 編輯 ]

55#
發表於 09-6-16 19:18 |只看該作者
I was attracted to this thread since it mentioned BHS. My girl is local so is her parents (wife and me).  She definitely is not cat 1 but got offers from RC and BHS (after being on wait list for 2 months) for '09 year one.   We chose BHS for her with our reasons.  Here is my experience for sharing:
1. send my girl to international kindergarten.  We chose Anfield because no interview was required and I like the school very much after visiting their open day.  BTW I never considered local school system: too competive and training focused, not mind and physical development.
2. Kindergarten principal told us applying ESK with true information: so I said in application forms: kid talks to mother most cantonese and talks to father mostly English. Other family members in cantonese and helper in english. No lies.
3. Got interview from RC.  Not accepted immediately but got a letter of "extended assessment" was needed. I considered she was put on waitlist.  Got letter of no interview from BHS (catchment) but if wanted to stay on wait list. Replied yes.
4. In Feb, RC accepted my girl. Paid and happy. two weeks later, got letter from BHS for interview in a month.  Interviewed and got accepted.  Paid and happy but not as before since we know cannot get refund from RC.  Not important though.

From my observation, success factors:
1. My girl is not shy, very friendly, and like to talk. Her English though is definitely NOT native. As long as she can communicate using the language, it's just fine.
2. Anfield creates a natural English environment for her to be comfortably develop her social skills.  I think any international kindergarten can do the same. She completely switched to English after a few months in K2 (K1 was too little to see trend) when she was around with her school friends. At home she is just like local kid talking mostly cantonese (our fault!).
3. My wife never gave up. She called/emailed many times the kindergarten principal, RC (not so helpful), and BHS (very responsive) for help and update on status.  I think BHS appreciated the effort although only my speculation. Frankly speaking, I don't think Anfield principal had strong influence on ESF (private or not) system but again - speculation.

Sorry nothing fancy on how to get a local kid into ESF schools.

I have a friend and his wife are both Hong Kong born but emigrated to US for years.  His wife is citizen so their kids are definitely cat 1 for ESF as their son got interview at 1st around by QPS.  Came back from US and son refused to talk during interview. Was told to come back in two weeks to interview again. Again son didn't talks so was told no offer that time but may try again in July.

56#
發表於 09-6-16 19:59 |只看該作者
My son also attended BHS before.  He used to study in a HK local school with Cantonese as the only medium of exchange.  He speaks perfect English and Cantonese.  (Well, may be not the pure HK kids.)

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-6-17 12:10 編輯 ]

57#
發表於 09-6-17 13:52 |只看該作者
Pls understand we are sending our kids to school to learn all sorts of things but not only language. More chinese or western makes no difference. Ppls speaking fluent English means nothing. The most important is to train up our childs' with common sense and the way & logic of thinking. Language is only a mean of communication. Well, I don't think the kids studying at IS will have language proficiency problem. Pls wake up!!!

58#
發表於 09-6-18 02:47 |只看該作者
i will say, if you send your kids to IS (as they are too young to make decision so it must be your decision), forget about that the school will help you teach chinese. You can get the best of both sides of the world. So either you should teach hard by yourselves, or hire a private tutor, that is it. :loveliness:

59#
發表於 09-6-20 19:19 |只看該作者
How about the chances from Beacon Hill School or Kowloon Junior School?

60#
發表於 09-6-29 12:47 |只看該作者
I am pure Hong Kong chinese too.
I think the majority of the families with ESF are still local familites.
We all mainly speak Cantonese most of the time. And I do not think this is a problem.
I agree that we are choosing a school not just because of the language. There is also no point comparing which school has more western kids, which school has more chinese kids.
I like my kid's school because it is exactly what I like.

Do not believe in the "myth" that if you "pretend" to know no chinese, then you are safe. There is no need to do so. I never pretended. A lot other parents too. I would rather not lie.
Some people failed the interview and they want to find something to blame.
I agree that it is the performance of a child that matters. If he refuse to speak, then that's it. I know that a lot of english speaking kids did not get offers because they were not speaking up.
Good luck to everyone.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題